"Guys, guys. Hang on. Can I try something?" - Worst Ad Ever?

Before "we got a badass in here" captions . . .

The National Post in Canada thought there was such an epidemic of a lack of female drummers they thought it was article-worthy.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...girls-playing-rock-n-roll-in-garages-so-be-it

Is this the 1950s still?

I'd be just as annoyed with this ad if it were a dude showing up the kids.

vlcsnap-2011-12-31-12h42m04s7.png

You went there . . .

I think you'll attest that my post history defends the rights of women to an education and not getting beaten or subjected against their will to arranged marriages (particularly child marriages).

was jokingly throwing a jab at you.

but I gotta admit. you did shit on Muslim women entirely, & then this thread makes me think you have some issues with women altogether.

That a woman needs to show off to a bunch of young boys because they're learning how to play instruments.

No, that a suburban woman is unlikely to know how to blast the drums.

Thats the point of the commercial, that its unexpected.

Actually what would have saved the ad is if she gave a couple of quick knowledgable sounding pointers (politely). Then they say "you can play?" And then beg her to show them something. Completely different feel to the ad then.

This way it comes off like she's a self-serving person with an urge to just show off and not help.

Except that each second costs a gazillion and then there would be no time to talk about the car.

was jokingly throwing a jab at you.

but I gotta admit. you did shit on Muslim women entirely, & then this thread makes me think you have some issues with women altogether.

The point of the post you're referring to (and I've talked to many Muslim women) is that in my experience there is an abrasive almost insulting way in which they communicate with a non-Muslim man. Which IMO has to do with the strict and demeaning subjugation by the Muslim men in their life. Non-Islamic men, then, bear the brunt of this pent-up hurt and angst. I actually feel sorry for them in the sense that it is the ideology spawning this. Further, I'm not saying every single one has the same abrasiveness, but, in my experience, many do. And again, this is just explaining what post you are referring to (and this was more or less explained as such in that post).

I beg to politely differ.

It wasn't until oh about the hundredth time watching this ad on TV that I finally started saying stuff subconsciously or under my breath like, "ok, we get it, you're awesome." It's like over time of getting this ad hammered into my brain the message became clear of a feminist agenda (whether or not it was even a woman or feminist who wrote it).

Ultimately it's a woman showing up 3 boys learning how to play instruments in THEIR (bolded for emphasis, not decibel level) garage and in THEIR band. Her attitude is lame - rolling her eyes, not offering positive feedback/pointers.

No one likes this type of person regardless of sex. The irony is that we're supposed to think she's cool because she's a woman outperforming men at their own game (I didn't realize drumming was a mens-only club) - which in this case is actually 3 boys learning how to play.

Then there's the furtherance of an agenda by her partner waiting by the car until she gets back to drive it (lol).

There's actually a lot going on in this ad.

You are mad that the woman is driving? for real man?

The point of the post you're referring to (and I've talked to many Muslim women) is that in my experience there is an abrasive almost insulting way in which they communicate with a non-Muslim man. Which IMO has to do with the strict and demeaning subjugation by the Muslim men in their life. Non-Islamic men, then, bear the brunt of this pent-up hurt and angst. I actually feel sorry for them in the sense that it is the ideology spawning this. Further, I'm not saying every single one has the same abrasiveness, but, in my experience, many do. And again, this is just explaining what post you are referring to (and this was more or less explained as such in that post).

ok, so the many represent all.

did you ever think perhaps this superiority they've exhibited could have been a stand alone incident directed at you only? maybe you might have earned this behavior from them?

not trying to be a dick. considering this thread, I'm merely led to believe there's a bigger issue at hand.

The ad is empowering women to buy a Toyota by belittling boys.

It's all about Girl Power nowadays. I guess thats because women hold the purse strings and really like to spend. The danger in encouraging women is that they begin to believe they are automatically empowered and don't have live in the real world.

I actually bought a Toyota. If I had let my wife buy it we would have paid $7000 more for a $45000 vehicle. I have seen Girl Power in the real world and I'm not impressed.

We get it, women are stupid and they cant be trusted with anything.

That video was funny.

I don't get your rant or what you're going on about at all.

The obvious intention of the video in the OP was obvious, which is what you keep reiterating. But you need to be able to see between the lines and see the subtle messages which in the video in the OP weren't actually so subtle.

It's like you're telling me you're wearing a blue shirt and I'm telling you yeah, that's true but because there's a Seahawk logo on the front I'm deducing that you're a Seahawks fan. And then you're getting worked up because you think I'm reading into things much, cuz "no, it's a blue shirt!"

It is obvious to you because you WANT it to be obvious.

We simply can't have this conversation. You're so dead set on some sort of feminist secret agenda on a commercial with one of the oldest fucking premises in the world. Even hardcore woman haters like "Athiest" are telling you that it is just a commercial. When that happens, it is time to wake up and look in the mirror and try to figure out why you are so scared of women.

ok, so the many represent all.

did you ever think perhaps this superiority they've exhibited could have been a stand alone incident directed at you only? maybe you might have earned this behavior from them?

not trying to be a dick. considering this thread, I'm merely led to believe there's a bigger issue at hand.

This thread isn't about another thread.

Do I have some issues? Sure, probably. Don't we all, right? But I don't think I have any huge issues - none that can't be worked and more-or-less resolved.

This thread isn't about another thread.

Do I have some issues? Sure, probably. Don't we all, right? But I don't think I have any huge issues - none that can't be worked and more-or-less resolved.

no doubt. I know well this isn't about another thread. I'm just saying I'm noticing a trend.

I don't have a problem with the commercial. It's the Dave Bidini article that is absurd.

What is most frustrating about the ridiculous article is that Dave Bidini just assumes male prejudice is the sole reason that women aren't getting into drumming when what it really comes down to is a matter of interest. There is nothing wrong with a woman not being interested in being a drummer. Does Bidini really believe that more TV commercials featuring women drummers is going to make women more interested in drumming?

Why is there this sudden drive to force women into things they generally are not interested in and blame men for their lack of interest?
whenever there is a thing that women in general aren't interested in it's because of male prejudice.

women aren't interested in STEM fields??? men's fault there are not enough women in STEM fields

women were never that big into video games??? again, it's male prejudice that most games in turn became aimed towards men. it has NOTHING to do with the fact that women just weren't buy hardciore games or anything.

BUT, when it's the other way around it's fine, no prejudice at all(which is the way it should be viewed with both genders' hobbies/interests, but males are inherently sexist. so...).

more women are into makeup??? well that's obvious, men just aren't into makeup.

more romance novels are geared towards women??? well that's cool, men just aren't into romance novels

Back