GSP may retire after Hendricks fight - Firas

Can't say I'll miss him. I have a hard time listening to him talking, let alone fighting.

Mixed feelings, but I can't say I disapprove. I think he can feel himself slowing down in addition to any motivation issues. Even though he's just 32 or 33, he's been doing this for a while now, and at the highest level.

I bet he has another three or four good fights in him, and I was mildly curious to see him against Matt Brown, but it really doesn't matter. He cleared the division to the point where I just shrug my shoulders at any would-be contender.

Don't see why he would fight on if he won. Whats left to do there?

I find it interesting that this came post-Maia losing to Shields... to be frank, I think the last really interesting challenge for GSP, outside of Hendricks, was Damian Maia, and largely because of his dominant BJJ... If your GSP, what is really left for you to prove? The Rory MacDonald fight is not going to happen, and as Rory has already alluded to, there is a plan in place... so I imagine the time frame for this decision has been roughed out for a while... Sure, there is the option of a Superfight with Anderson Silva, but the Spider has his own division to sort out now that he lost to Weidman... and GSP has been vocal about the fact that Silva is a naturally much larger fighter... if the fight were to happen, I suspect it would lack the significance that it once had... I do find it funny that people have made ridiculous comments, such as GSP continuing to play it safe... Sure, his in ring style may not please everyone, but look at his list of victims, and I can't think of another Champion, or fighter for that matter, who has consistently fought (and beat) the very best in the world... Sure, Anderson was dominant and raw talent wise is a phenom, but the challengers he faced at MW pale in comparison to the guys @ 170... If GSP decides to walk away after the Hendricks fight, the fans of this sport are losing a really great champion.. but if anyone has earned it, GSP has earned it..

First Breaking Bad, now GSP might retire. What more is there left in life?

At least he will finish on top if he wins, and if he doesn't at least he will finish.

2oy09.gif

O god its worse than i thought, he is already showing effects of the L'n'P. He should retire ASAP.

Unless it comes out of GSP's own mouth I won't believe it.

I think this would be a good thing and smart decision if he can't find motivation to fight/train anymore. Start enjoying his spoils he's earned, and let hungry fighters keep fighting. There really isn't any big fights for him left in his division - and I don't believe he ever wanted to fight Silva (Silva would beat him and he knows it). Retire as champ, UFC can set up a mini-tournament with the #1 through #4 contenders to crown a new champ.

I doubt he will retire. He fights at least 4 or 5 more times. When he retires, he will retire on top and still be P4P #1.

GSP is the goat whether you want to admit or not.

As taken from Ariel Helwani's twitter:

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 23m
RT @MMA_NOUVELLES: @arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.

Anderson Silva all over again, until he too gets his ass kicked.

Im surprised.. And i just saw his NOS commercial, so i know he isnt starting an acting career. It was awful.

He could have been the one to stop Anderson and had gone down as the undisputed greatest ever.

Back