GSP may retire after Hendricks fight - Firas

dbsh209

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As taken from Ariel Helwani's twitter:

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 23m
RT @MMA_NOUVELLES: @arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.

Oh boy, i hope not, im sure hes wealthy enough by now,

He will have a great life by staying in the UFC and fighting more,

Or even w/o zuffa, GSP will always be rich hes a marketable guy, hes already been a mma champion for a while, im sure he would be fine if he did decide to retire

Would just suck though, he would be missed by many im sure. Hope he sticks around & defends his title some more.

Last edited:
Obviously to duck Condit on his way back to the belt.

Oh well he's had a good run if he decides to hang em up. It'll be a good show in the WW division when there destroying each other for the belt.

I know it must be hard to stay motivated but this seems too soon to me.

Someone like GSP deserves to go out on top. Too many legends have quit past their prime just to tarnish their legacy or to be shit on by new "fans" who only look at records. GSP has been a role model for all MMA fighters and has taken a fighters brand to a new level with all the gatorade, underarmor etc... I hope he does retire almost just so he can go out on top after fighting everybody in his division and having wins over every single one of his opponents for YEARS. Kickboxers, Wrestlers, BJJ masters, Power Punchers, Brawlers etc the guy has fought them all. Even though he is one of my favorite fighters, I hope he does retire soon.

How lame. At least one super fight before he retires. GSP is the definition of playing it safe

Wouldn't be really surprised if he did. If I had to bet I'd say he fights twice more after Hendricks. Unless he loses.

Been saying this for a while now.

Anyway, nothing is sure... we'll see soon enough!

Personally I think this is a good thing. GSP has turned a lot of ppl off because of his style. In fact I think his style reflects on.his motivation. My friends have all checked out by being fans of GSP. I tell them GSP is fighting and they dont show up. GSP is still a huge draw in Canada tho. I believe the majority of ppv buys come from Canada when gsp fights.

Finally. There will be a new ruler of the welterweight division.

rory_macdonald-b7sy-570x.jpg

Last edited:
I hope GSP goes out on top.. but I wish he'd stick around because there is no other threats at WW after Hendricks.. Maybe Rory..

OMG Rory vs Condit II for the new champion!.. okay GSP can retire now..

Would be nice to see a guy go out on top, but it's hard to imagine a guy with a real fighting spirit stepping away so easily.

I called it. I think win or lose, he retires. He's done with the sport and knows he can make more money without getting punched in the face and dealing with grueling training camps.

I can live with that. There is nothing else for him to prove. He could stay a little longer to settle his status as one of the GOATs... but I think that he already is.

Anyway... I think that he is not going to retire.

It's the smartest move he can make. Time will eventually catch him, his athleticism is already slowing down (from his last 2 fights).

I really thought his motivation was to be the best of all time. He has the skills to do it..

Who cares??? Let him retire. Don't bring up he's ducking a Condit rematch or a super fight. A super fight with Silva is damn near done if he can't beat weidman in dec. and if he does, I can see why he doesn't take the fight. Silva isn't thrilled about fight Jones either so don't knock GSP.

Obviously to duck Condit on his way back to the belt.

Thats dumb comment... of course when he will retire there will always be an upcomming fighter on his way to a title shot... maia, hendricks2, shield2, brown, Mcdo, etc... all these fighter are hoping for a shot... why no just say that when GSP retire he ducks the entire WW division and your point will be done...

Back