GSP may retire after Hendricks fight - Firas

If Silva losses.. It'd be all the more reason to keep going though.. He could pass Silva in title defenses as well as UFC championship fights

GSP currently 11 - 2
Silva currently 11 - 1

It's a good time to retire for him. He he 32 years old, about the age guys starts losing. He has been taking some damage in his last few fights. He is already a celeb without fighting at this point, he has money, he doesn't need to fight anymore. Since Maia lost there isn't a big name challenger to get excited about. He already proved he is the best 170lbs in the world. Anderson lost so that superfight isn't super anymore. Even the Hendricks fight doesn't matter to me, I don't consider him a name that gets me excited.

Should retire. Rory has waited long enough.

No superfights. Anderson was too big for GSP. I have been a few feet from GSP at Zombie/Poirer. He seems realy small compared to Weidman. Weidman could fight at 205 easily.

After GSP beats Hendricks, GSP hangs them up and retires.

some fans consider that a finish, while others don't. i don't consider it one in the traditional sense, because it wasn't a knockout, technical knockout, or submission.

to each their own on that one.

Its not to each his own on that one, Penn quit in the 4th round because he was severely concussed. The fight went on his record as a TKO, thus making it the last stoppage of his career. It's not debatable.

I figured as much. GSP wanted to retire after his injury but felt he'd be letting the UFC and his team down retiring. He looked good but nervous and not really into the Condit and Diaz fights. I think he's probably just on cruise control right now. Win or lose I see him retiring after the Hendricks fight. He doesn't have anything left to prove and he clearly isn't interested in super fights or changing weights.

i really get the impression that GSP hasnt full recovered from his knee issues. im sure if he retires on top he will come out and honestly state how much it affected him. i just dont think hes the same fighter. his tone on the anderson superfight changed after he came back from injury to fight condit.

theres always another contender popping up but honestly i think lawler beating up his buddy is the only fight that makes sense for him on the horizon. gsp has been on top for ages and convincingly beaten everyone even close to a shot. he doesnt want to fight rory. maia lost and didnt look impressive regardless of the decision

if rory beats lawler who is a big payday and a good fight for him?

After Hendricks(win or lose), vacate the belt and fight Anderson in a retirement fight.

i really get the impression that GSP hasnt full recovered from his knee issues. im sure if he retires on top he will come out and honestly state how much it affected him. i just dont think hes the same fighter. his tone on the anderson superfight changed after he came back from injury to fight condit.

theres always another contender popping up but honestly i think lawler beating up his buddy is the only fight that makes sense for him on the horizon. gsp has been on top for ages and convincingly beaten everyone even close to a shot. he doesnt want to fight rory. maia lost and didnt look impressive regardless of the decision

if rory beats lawler who is a big payday and a good fight for him?

I've felt the same way, the knee injury affected him more than he's letting on, how couldn't it? He fought for a long time and fought a lot of mean people, that has to start taking it's toll on the body.

I don't see GSP casually retiring after a fight because he'd lose out on a major amount of cash if he didn't announce it pre fight. PPV sales would be through the roof for one last chance to dethrone the WW goat who is already the PPV leader.

I don't think it's a bad idea for him to retire soon. The mental and physical toll of being the man with a target on your back for years fighting the top guys in your division is something I'm sure few can handle. The pressure only increases with every fight. He wants off the top of that hill so he can relax with a properly functioning brain. Who can blame him?

After Hendricks who's next? Condit again, shields again, Maia just lost. Might as well call it a day! Unless he asks Dana for Askren.

he sees all the monsters coming up. smart move.
Yeah, except no one can come up w/ who, besides Rory, should be next if he gets by Hendricks. There are no 'monsters' coming up if you compare them to GSP. He's a UD lock on any of them.

If he's going to retire soon I wish he'd give up the belt and either go up and fight Anderson or go down and fight Pettis.

am i wrong? if you were to have taken a poll after that fight on whether that would be his last finish in his career, what do you think the results of that poll would have been? you and i both know the answer to that.

you're just upset because i don't worship a safety-first, decision machine like gsp. it's fans like yourself who are the problem. unable to accept that other mma fans don't like his approach to the sport. enjoy your 50-45 decisions.

yes you are factually wrong.

Why do you get upset and post crying rebuttals when someone calls you out for trolling? You are consistently one of GSP's biggest troll posters on this forum.

You need to stop lecturing fans about how they are the problem and just go back to trolling and thinking that makes you the type of fan that makes things better.

Its not to each his own on that one, Penn quit in the 4th round because he was severely concussed. The fight went on his record as a TKO, thus making it the last stoppage of his career. It's not debatable.

lol @ concussed. he was tired as fuck, and his corner threw in the towel. he never lost consciousness in that fight. but keep grasping at straws.

As taken from Ariel Helwani's twitter:

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 23m
RT @MMA_NOUVELLES: @arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.

He has probably made more then enough $ to be set for the rest of his life, but I hope he doesn't. I am not a fan of the guy but he is a great fighter

yes you are factually wrong.

Why do you get upset and post crying rebuttals when someone calls you out for trolling? You are consistently one of GSP's biggest troll posters on this forum.

You need to stop lecturing fans about how they are the problem and just go back to trolling and thinking that makes you the type of fan that makes things better.

let me explain how things work:

someone creates a gsp thread. i give my opinion on the matter. yourself, along with a horde of gsp fanatics begin to attack me with posts just like yours. now tell me: who started the argument?

the fact here, is that folks like yourself don't like my opinion of the way he fights. so instead of ignoring my posts, you whine like a girl because i don't agree with the rest of you.

there is a good reason why i have never received a warning or anything close to double-yellows when i give my opinion about gsp: because i'm not trolling or hating. i'm saying it how i see it.

now get over it.

lol @ concussed. he was tired as fuck, and his corner threw in the towel. he never lost consciousness in that fight. but keep grasping at straws.

Isn't throwing in the towel essentially submitting? It just happens between rounds instead of during one.

some fans consider that a finish, while others don't. i don't consider it one in the traditional sense, because it wasn't a knockout, technical knockout, or submission.

to each their own on that one.

No there is no 'to each there own on that one'.

Some things are opinion and some things are fact and it is a fact that if you beat someone up so bad they do not answer the bell it is a finish.

You can say 'you do not like that considered a finish' but what you cannot say is that it is not a finish.

Facts are not attached to personal preference or opinion. Not everything is a matter of opinion. I have a friend who hates soccer with a passion and so will argue it is not a real sport in his opinion. he is entitled to that opinion as we are all entitled to be wrong on matters of opinion. But he is factually wrong. And so are you.

lol @ concussed. he got the shit beat out of him for 3 rounds, and his corner threw in the towel. he never lost consciousness in that fight but his face was swollen and he had no idea where he was.

Fixed it for you

After Hendricks(win or lose), vacate the belt and fight Anderson in a retirement fight.

If he loose to Hendricks I think it will motivate him like he never has been motivated before to fight at least a rematch and to get his belt back. He said he want to retire on top of his sport, that means with the belt around his waist imo

Back