GSP may retire after Hendricks fight - Firas

Not a bad idea. I don't see a superfight with Anderson ever happening, so with that off the table, it's not a big deal for him to retire. He's already been incredibly dominant and made a ton of money. Might as well get out of the sport if your heart isn't in it 100%.

How lame. At least one super fight before he retires. GSP is the definition of playing it safe

Against who? Jones? There are no champions as dominant as GSP yet with the changes in the title picture at LW and MW.

GSP is one of my three favorite fighters so I don't want him to retire now but at the same time it would be great to see him go out on top and on his own terms. The one thing we know is that a potential retirement opens up the WW division in a very intriguing way.

It would likely be winner of Condit/brown vs. Winner of rory/lawler for the title...but lets not think about that. GSP is a highly motivated competitor and I don't see him retiring next fight.

I said this ages ago.

Win or lose GSP will retire after Hendricks

If he beats Hendricks, he's 1 defense away from tying Anderson Silva's record. How can he not have motivation to make history?

That'd be a shame to see, but WW would become a lot more interesting knowing that GSP won't beat every challenger

Against who? Jones? There are no champions as dominant as GSP yet with the changes in the title picture at LW and MW.

I'd still like to see GSP vs Silva if Silva beats Weidman. Even if he loses to Weidman. That fight would guarantee 1 million ppv buys which is what GSP is mainly interested in

It certainly will but even with some diminished athleticism and taking more abuse than he did in his absolute prime of the 06-10 era he still has showed himself to be head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

Welterweight is one of those weird divisions where most guys when matched up will give each other tough fights (put any combination of kos, Hendricks, alves, rousimar, pierce, Condit, Kamp, Ellenberger, rory, diaz, shields, maia or lawlor) in the cage together and it would not be an easy fight to call. Put in any of them against GSP and I'd be very confident in GSP.

This is true. I think with GSP out of the way we're going to see the WW title change hands like a hot potato. I think Hendricks, Condit, and Diaz are the best atm and the title could change hands between the three of them. Ellenberger, Lawler, and Rory could also get their hands on the title. I don't have much faith in Kampmann anymore and I never had much in Maia even though I love the guy.

Someone like GSP deserves to go out on top. Too many legends have quit past their prime just to tarnish their legacy or to be shit on by new "fans" who only look at records. GSP has been a role model for all MMA fighters and has taken a fighters brand to a new level with all the gatorade, underarmor etc... I hope he does retire almost just so he can go out on top after fighting everybody in his division and having wins over every single one of his opponents for YEARS. Kickboxers, Wrestlers, BJJ masters, Power Punchers, Brawlers etc the guy has fought them all. Even though he is one of my favorite fighters, I hope he does retire soon.

Good post.

I never care to comment on when guys should retire because I don't know them personally. I don't know what gets them fired up to train, to fight or what drives them. But I agree with you here (as a general statement). GSP has a phenomenal legacy and easily goes down as the WW GOAT and was a great champion in any weight class.

This sport is brutal. I think if anyone loses the passion to fight, they should hang them up. Also as a fan, I would like to see him retire at the top as well, but I always respect fighters decisions to continue after their prime.

I really hope he does for his own sake and for the fans sake, not in terms of his health but more of in terms of the entertainment he lacks to bring in to every fight.

2oy09.gif

Obviously to duck Condit on his way back to the belt.

Yes...absolutely. ..GSP now ducks fighters he completely dominated. Even Condit himself knows he will never beat GSP. He could not even beat him in the standup and GSP is way better in all other areas. Now, I do think he should retire as he clearly does not have the fighting spirit he used to have.GSP now only gets motivated when in trouble during a fight...let the haters bash his legacy, real MMA fans recognize what he brought to the sport inside and outside the octogon....

Interesting that this comes after he voiced his displeasure with the UFC in regards to the lack of support about advanced drug testing.

Either way, I think if he has lost his motivation to compete then he def needs to retire and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

No surprises here. GSP wants to retire on top and what else is there left him to prove at WW? I predict he'll fight no more than 5 more times in the UFC and retire within 2 years before the age of 35. War champ! GSP The King!

That prediction is safer than any GSP fight.

I hate to say it, but I kinda gotta say good riddance. The guy has seemed for a while like he's as bored fighting as we are watching his style. IMO he will UD Hendricks pretty easily, either by typical GSP quilting or a Kos style jabfest. Most of my friends who are big MMA fans have pretty much sworn off watching any GSP fight due to his style.

It's kinda sad to see a guy who is obviously so skilled and athletic be so reserved and tactical in every fight. Condit at least dragged him into a war, but GSP still went to his go-to style to survive. At least if he steps away, we will get so see some excitement in the title picture at 170. Dana says it all the time, but if a guy's head isn't into being a fighter, it's usually better not to fight anymore.

No one can take away GSP's dominance of that division when he retires, but when we all look back 10+ years from now, how will we really remember him compared to guys like Anderson, Bones, Aldo, Cain, JDS, etc. It sucks but GSP will probably be remembered for being a dominant but boring champion. Also if he retires without taking at least one superfight, that kind of says it all.

who would have guessed that his last finish would be his second fight with serra. wow.

Again you're hating on GSP talking out of your ass .
You're as bad as Bjpenngoat when it come to be the cherry on top of the GSP hater sundae .

That sucks if true. I'll miss seeing him lay on people.

Honestly feel like he still has another solid few years in him. However, he knows himself best, so if he decides to retire, then I am sure he has a valid reason. I'd like him to surpass Silva in both title defenses, and consecutive wins.

If he finishes Hendricks I can see him retire yeah.

Back