GSP is not GOAT pick for mma fans out of North America

Cause fans are dumb. It takes a better more complete martial artist to be dominant for five rounds fight after fight than to score a quick finish showing only a small skill set.

"To introduce such fans to a match in which you shut down your opponent without motion, it will leave no memories for them. If it's the choice of a sluggish match that I'll win by decision, I'd rather choose to lose in grand fashion by KO."
-Kazushi Sakuraba

Nuff´Said.

TS should write a book
"How to make an effective thread that guarantees 10 pages of arguing" :D

85749220.gif

You think it's a matter of "excitation"
wow you are way off mate
It doesnt matter that much if it's a flying knee or a methodical arm-triangle choke; put your opponent aways is the ultimate goal of fighting, period
Winning is the ultimate goal of winning. Are there really any GSP opponents that he dominated to a decision that you thought, "Damn, if only there were another _______ minutes and they would have finished Georges."

"He was winning until he lost." We make fun of that phrase all the time here, right? Because only the end result matters. If we were to take that sentence seriously, then we have to evaluate how the eventual winner had holes their game for losing any amount of the fight, but Georges largely didn't lose rounds. Explain how someone's biggest weakness, a lack of finishing ability, is an exploitable weakness?

Winning is the ultimate goal of winning. Are there really any GSP opponents that he dominated to a decision that you thought, "Damn, if only there were another _______ minutes and they would have finished Georges."

"He was winning until he lost." We make fun of that phrase all the time here, right? Because only the end result matters. If we were to take that sentence seriously, then we have to evaluate how the eventual winner had holes their game for losing any amount of the fight, but Georges largely didn't lose rounds. Explain how someone's biggest weakness, a lack of finishing ability, is an exploitable weakness?

winners are all of them - that's why they are in the discussion in the first place - now of course finishing makes a big difference

You should get the concept easier, are u retard or trolling at this point?

TLDR; Too many decision wins so.....not a GOAT material

Well, finally someone who can speak for the rest of the world.

Glad this issue can finally be put to rest.

What??!!

You mention JJ and juicing but you consider GSP being natty???!!!<Huh2>

GSP is just as natty as that cuban fighter with a retarded fight IQ<seedat>

Doesn't matter he was never popped for it. Who is your top 3?

What??!!

You mention JJ and juicing but you consider GSP being natty???!!!<Huh2>

GSP is just as natty as that cuban fighter with a retarded fight IQ<seedat>
Yeah, one can’t help but look at Romero and think, “is that GSP’s twin?”

Ducking also matters. He refused to come back to fight the best at his natural weight in Woodley, but came back to fight one of the acknowledged weakest middleweight champs ever in Bisping. I don't give much credit to the two division thing at all. It's too easy to achieve with Dana matchmaking. You got dudes like Henry Cejudo running around calling himself GOAT now because he did the whole Champ Champ gimmick.

Not saying GSP isn't GOAT (or one of them). I got no skin in this game. But he has plenty arguments against him as well.

Ducked Woodley to move up in weight? That’s just stupid and everybody knows it. Nobody believes Woodley could beat GSP. Even Woodley, and his mama knows that would never happen. I must have missed where either Silva, or Jones beat the champion in a heavier weight class. Especially after 4 years away.

The Anti-GSP crowd is just laughable.

There's levels to this shit.

Finishes are the highest level of winning in MMA.

I hate him, but the GOAT is easily Jon Jones. If we're disqualifying failed tests, it's easily GSP.

Irish and I’d say GSP. Someone did a post with who had most top5 top10 and maybe top15 mins and GSP came out on top. He has taken Gold in two weight classes. Yes it was opportunistic in the timing of it but he got it done. ON PAPER you really are wasting your time because I’m sure GSP has the best career right now.

GSP IMO avoided Anderson at 185 for a long time. I believe he would have lost prime vs prime. I think he has a smart career.

Also Fedor and Anderson are now taking losses they shouldn’t fight way past their prime. People remember seeing Maldonado near KO Fedor or Nick Diaz have a dance off with Anderson and quickly forget what they once where.

GSP was smart, he went downhill and he left the sport. Saw a chance at a very beatable champ and took it to add to his legacy.

Jones is the only one with a shot at passing him. He is still undefeated but is in the same place GSP was when he scraped by Big Rig. I think Jones should take a year off. Bulk up and go after heavyweight gold. DC has captured GOLD at Hw. I’ve no doubt Jones has it in him. The top guys aren’t getting any younger.

I put him there because his division was deeper than Anderson and Johnson's. Jones is excluded because of juice. THE END.

Don't know about the depth anyways we are talking about guys who sit at the top.
HW will never be deeper than the average male weight divisions yet a long time HW champion will always have a strong case in a GOAT discussion.

The myth about Aderson fighting weak competition while WW contenders being the strongest is, again, only parroted by North American fans.
UFC MW was weak back in Pride heyday - Anderson faced comparably tough competition than GSP during his long reign as a champion - more so considering Anderson fought at WW until his 30s

I can respect your opinion. Valid perspectives. But the GOAT case is so subjective. And Rockhold was viewed as a real force at mw when Bisping took him out. The lineal belt will always be worth more than the interim in my eyes. Either way it was pretty good accomplishment by GSP after that long of a layoff.
You are right about Rockhold. He was the champ and Bisping KO'ed him. Bisping looked great in that fight. That right to the body and left hook upstairs was money. He also impressed me with his boxing and his toughness in the Silva fight. He totally ducked Romero but it was funny and I can't blame him (esp with 1 eye). I just can't consider him or GSP the real MW Champ because Romero and Jacare were denied title shots for years and were the best MWs in the world for years. Mousasi and Whittaker and Gastelum were all real contenders too while Bisping/Hendo/GSP held up the division for a year and a half.

It was definitely impressive watching GSP completely neutralize and dominate his opponents. I was always amazed how he could outwrestle All Americans. It was all very impressive.

But we were all even more impressed by the finishing ability of guys like Fedor, Anderson, Aldo, Hendo, Nog, Werdum.

all fighters were on juice back in the day and I truly dont believe GSP wasnt.
PEDs aside, he was a very efficient fighter and had a good run. However, decisions, jabs, decisions, jabs, point fighting, boring.
GOAT is the biggest title in the sport, you must really earn it. I dont think I can praise a boring guy as GOAT, in any sport, or in anything.
A lot of people considered Sugar Ray Robinson as boring. Yet, he’s a pretty regular pick as boxing’s GOAT.

Don't know about the depth anyways we are talking about guys who sit at the top.
HW will never be deeper than the average male weight divisions yet a long time HW champion will always have a strong case in a GOAT discussion.

The myth about Aderson's regin bein in a weak division while WW back then being much strnger is, again, only parroted by North American fans.
UFC MW was weak back in Pride heyday - Anderson faced comparably tough competition than GSP during his long reign as a champion - more so considering Anderson fought at WW until his 30s

I would agree about HW normally being a shit division but it wasn't back when Fedor was crushing guys in Pride. Plus they were all juiced to the gills and Fedor wasn't very big for that division.

GSP fought tougher competition than Silva in UFC. I'd have to go back and look at who he fought in Pride because only the Chonan fight sticks out atm. GSP won belts in two divisions, Anderson didn't.

Back