GSP is not GOAT pick for mma fans out of North America

While I agree finishing is something to consider, winning is the ultimate goal. Ask pretty much any fighter and see if they'd rather lose, or get a decision win. Of course they WANT the finish, but at the end of the day they will take the win regardless.

winners are all of them - that's why they are in the discussion in the first place - now of course finishing makes a big difference

Yeah, GSP is natty.
401e514c-5492-4517-934f-2e49ca1a6ce9-png.621837

Ubereem kind of natty lol
"Y-y-y-you can't say that"!!!

He's my favorite fighter so he has to be natty, just like mr. specimen the cuban missile.

DefiantObeseBlobfish-size_restricted.gif

Imagine hating an athlete so much for no apparent reason other than him being considered better than one of your own personal favourite fighters
No hater at all, actually I like him.
Are all these guys haters too?:

full

It's a simple truth to be honest.
You can't be in the GOAT mix if you're remembered as a decision fighter.
Fedor, JJ, and AS didn't leave it to the judges that often, THERE'S WHAT SEPARATE THESE BOYS FROM GSP!!!

Enough is enough with this GSP hype bullshit job<JonesDXSuckIt><BC1><Fedor23>

<{gspressed}>

@pankrat even if not many people outside of the states and/or canada don't consider St-Pierre the GOAT, that doesn't really mean too much for several reasons:

Many people also think that Cristiano Ronaldo is as good, or better than Lionel Messi, which is not the case, as Cristiano is only slightly better than Messi in areas that don't really matter on the pitch: headers and playing/shooting with the weak foot. In terms of more important things, like passing, playmaking, technique in general and understanding of the game, Messi surpasses Cristiano Ronaldo by quite a significant margin.

No knowledgeable soccer fan places Cristiano above Messi. He may have more IG followers idk but that's it.

Cristiano is a beast, but being scoring ability what sets him apart; even in that regard Messi isn't far from him while he is in a whole other league in many others aspects of the game starting by number of assists.

GOAT discussion in MMA is certainly a much more open discussion than in soccer

No hater at all, actually I like him.
Are all these guys haters too?:

full
A lot has happened since 2016. Andy popped again and started collecting losses like a hoarder collects Beanie Babies. Jones started failing PED tests like a blind guy taking eye exams, along with a string of questionable victories. And GSP won a world title in a second weight class after stepping out of retirement after 4 years.

A lot has happened since 2016. Andy popped again and started collecting losses like a hoarder collects Beanie Babies. Jones started failing PED tests like a blind guy taking eye exams, along with a string of questionable victories. And GSP won a world title in a second weight class after stepping out of retirement after 4 years.

If that has that much weight for you, cool.
That's not the case for most people who have been watching mma for 20 years

GSP is the GOAT. No way cheater roach Jones is over him. Not a chance.

No knowledgeable soccer fan places Cristiano above Messi.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but MMA fans who don't think GSP is a legitimate GOAT candidate are just as clueless, if you ask me.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but MMA fans who don't think GSP is a legitimate GOAT candidate are just as clueless, if you ask me.

He may be a candidate, he is right up there, but he is rarely the pick by pros and most fans, especially out of Noth America.

but finishing ability weights more than that when discussing the best ever at fighing.
Question. I know the answer feels obvious, but can you explain to me why finishing rate has any significant weight when discussing who is the most skilled fighter in the world? Seems like a tie breaker at best if they fought all the same opponents, who dealt with the same challenge better. But even that wouldn't make sense if the guy who got the first round knockout and the guy who scored a 50-45 both never appeared to lose any minutes of their respective fights.

If that has that much weight for you, cool.
That's not the case for most people who have been watching mma for 20 years
I’ve only been watching regularly for 15. Unlike the rest of you , I didn’t have season tickets to Pankration.

Question. I know the answer feels obvious, but can you explain to me why finishing rate has any significant weight when discussing who is the most skilled fighter in the world? Seems like a tie breaker at best. But even that wouldn't make sense if the guy who got the first round knockout and the guy who scored a 50-45 both never appeared to lose any minutes of their respective fights.

I won't be the one to make a thesis about why beating somebody withouth any judge having anything to say about it makes for a dramatic difference

Back