Grip, BW, and weight lifting stuff for Wrestling/BJJ

Nice work with the weights, mate. Your lifts are becoming fairly impressive already.

Diligent said:
Dumbbell Shrugs

10 x 90lb dumbbells
8 x 100lb dumbbells
8 x 110lb dumbbells
8 x 115lb dumbbells
8 x 120lb dumbbells
8 x 125lb dumbbells

Wow, these were surprisingly easy. I was also surprised at how easy it was for me to hold onto the 100 to 125lb dumbbells ... honestly, it was not hard at all to hold onto them, and they weren't even slipping one bit. I remember the last time I did these, I had a hard time holding onto the 95lb dumbbells, HA! I'll probably move on to barbell shrugs because there are not any heavier dumbbells at 24 hour fitness:mad: .

If you want to work your traps in s different way, powercleans are your friend. Mine are hard to work because I can handle a lot of weight in a shrug (I think most people can) but a couple sets of power cleans or hang cleans wowks nicely. You'll definitly feel it for a few days.

Feature boy - thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I just keept progressing.:D By the way, how is are you doing on gaining weight for wrestling???

bacon - I'm not sure about doing these ... not because I think they aren't a great exercise ... I know they are awesome ... but I hurt my shoulder pretty bad a couple of years ago when I was 18, and I was out for 9 months ... so now, if I go below parallel on any heavy pressing movements, my shoulder gives me trouble. Since the top of the powerclean is like going all the way down on military press and it is such a jerky movement, it does not go well with my gimpy shoulder. I tried starting powercleans a little over a year ago, and immediately I noticed trouble with my shoulder, so I really can't do these (at least with any kind of heavy weight). Thanks for the advice, though.:D

Diligent said:
By the way, how is are you doing on gaining weight for wrestling???

Wow, that sounds stupid... :icon_lol:

I still can't do anything. I have a sports ban until April (hopefully not any longer) because of my arm and I have actually lost 2 kilos, pretty sure it's muscle :icon_cry2 And I'm not sure if I want to gain all that mass anyway, I'll discuss things with my coach & training buddies when I get back to training.

Feature boy said:
Wow, that sounds stupid... :icon_lol:

I still can't do anything. I have a sports ban until April (hopefully not any longer) because of my arm and I have actually lost 2 kilos, pretty sure it's muscle :icon_cry2 And I'm not sure if I want to gain all that mass anyway, I'll discuss things with my coach & training buddies when I get back to training.

Haha, yeah, that's not something you hear too many people doing .... Keep me updated on what you're doing, bro.:icon_chee

02/23/06

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 145lbs)

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs) and sets w/ 1 25lb plate and 1 35lb plate (60lbs)

Deadlifts

6 x 135
6 x 185
6 x 225
4 x 275
2 x 295
1 x 315

These felt good, except my form on the rep with 315 wasn't as good as my form with the others. It wasn't DieselWeaselish, but my form wasn't perfect, either. Either way, I got it up pretty easily, surprisingly.

lunge/shot/lunge/bw squat/neck bridge complex x 3 sets

(Lunges (from one side of gym and back) + shots (from one side of gym and back) + lunges (from one side of gym and back) + 50 bodyweight squats + front and side neck bridges)

front and side neck bridges

6 sets

Duncon76 said:
Nice Deads :))))
Thanks! We'll see how next week goes.:D

Lord's Day:

Wrestling takedown class (from 1pm to 3pm)

Wrestling practice went well. There were only 4 of us there today, so it was pretty cool getting plenty of personal attention. We worked on counters to wrist grabbing and then different takedowns after countering. The live matches went really well, actually. This was probably the best I've done so far.:D The 25 yr old there that knows a lot and is my size, is usually the hardest one to get down and compete against ... and he never gets tired ... ever, no joke. But today, for every time he took me down, I took him down twice!!! woo I totally beat my friend James (he's about 33 or 34, 185lbs), but that usually always happens. And there was one kid from high school there who was like 180 or 185lbs. I remember watching him warm up and drill ... he looked pretty intimidating. He was thick and muscular and he seemed to have some good moves ... but during the live matches ... I took him down at will, and basically man-handled him .... which really surprised me .... Goes to show you I guess that looks indeed mean very little. Over all I am happy with the live matches, but I definitely learned from some of the mistakes I made today.

Monday:

Weighted Pullups (bw + 65lbs)

1 set of 8 reps

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 150!!!)

2 PR's!!!! I got 150lbs with my right hand and 140lbs with my left hand!!! 145 felt EASY today ... I don't know what the deal was, but I can't complain, haha.

Front and side neck bridges

6 sets

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

4 x 205
4 x 205

This is the heaviest I've ever gone, and it felt pretty good.

3-inch wide PVC pipe handle timed holds

Went up to 95lbs on these. They are pretty tough.

Squats

10 x 45
10 x 95
10 x 135
4 x 205
2 x 205

Ok, I don't know what the heck happened, but my legs didn't feel as strong as last week. It may be because I still haven't fully healed from the deadlifts, or my legs are uber-wasted from wrestling yesterday, or both. Rrrrrrrrrr.:mad:

Standing Dumbbell Military Press

10 x 40lb dumbbells
6 x 60lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Shrugs

sets w/ 100lb dumbbells

The gym at UTA only goes up to 100lb dumbbells, so I REALLY need to start doing barbell shrugs!

Close-grip Dumbbell Bench Press

2 sets w/ 70lb dumbbells

Wednesday:

Today I played tennis for an hour and a half with a brother.

Then I went to the gym and did 6 sets of front and back and side neck bridges.

Maybe high clean pulls will not hurt your shoulder as much.

chia said:
Maybe high clean pulls will not hurt your shoulder as much.

Hmmm, that's a thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thursday:

Rolling Thunder singles

I think I kinda hurt my wrist on Monday, so my grip and all wasn't as strong today, and I still have some soreness on my outer-wrist. Didn't go very heavy. Kinda frustrating after getting 150 on Monday. rrrrrrrrrgh:mad:

Pinch Grip

Deadlifts

6 x 135
4 x 225
1 x 275
1 x 315
1 x 335

New PR, I guess with the 335. I don't think I could have gotten much more. I might have been able to do 355 .... Actually, my right knee (bad knee) was really starting to hurt after the 315 and 335, so I'll try not to go heavy every week.

Close-Grip Dumbell Bench Press

10 x 25lb dumbbells
8 x 50lb dumbbells
6 x 60lb dumbbells
6 x 70lb dumbbells

Front, back and side neck bridges

6 sets

Monday:

Weighted Pullups (bw + 75lbs)

1 set of 6 reps

New PR! :icon_chee Never done this much weight on weighted pullups.

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 150)

I got 150lbs again with my right hand, which really surprised me, since my right outer-wrist was and is STILL a liiiittle bit sore. But it feels good.

Front, back, and side neck bridges

3 sets

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

5 x 205
4 x 205

3-inch wide PVC pipe handle timed holds (up to 90lbs)

Squats

10 x 45
10 x 95
10 x 135
6 x 205
4 x 205
3 x 205

These felt better than last week. I am still leaning a little bit too far foward.:mad:

Standing Dumbbell Military Press (each arm seperately)

1 set of 6 reps with 65lb dumbbell w/ my right arm
1 set of 5 reps with 65lb dumbbell w/ my left arm

OK, OK, if anybody jumps on me for doing each arm seperately (which makes it easier than both arms pressing at the same time), it's because the UTA gym is missing one of the 65lb dumbbells, so there was only one, and I didn't want to stay at 60lbs. so there!:icon_chee

Bodyweight Pull-ups

2 sets of 10 reps

mhm

Praise the living God!!!

Thursday:

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 145lbs)

Couldn't get 150 this time (I got it Monday, though), but my forearms and wrists were pretty sore from Monday and Tuesday (Tuesday I did a bunch of attempts on the #2 CoC gripper)

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs)

Deadlifts

6 x 135
4 x 225
1 x 275
1 x 315
1 x 365 :icon_chee NEW PR!

New PR, but my form wasn't very good I don't think. 315 felt so easy I was confident enough to try 365, but like I said in the PR thread, since my form wasn't so great either on 335, I should master 335 before trying an even heavier weight. That's my opinion.

Close-Grip Dumbell Bench Press

10 x 25lb dumbbells
10 x 50lb dumbbells
8 x 60lb dumbbells
3 x 75lb dumbbells New PR! Never gone this heavy on close-grip dumbbell bench. I almost got 4.

Front, back and side neck bridges

8 sets

Saturday:

BJJ class

Worked on various GI chokes, which I HATE! I hate anything using the GI. I despise the GI. I loathe the GI. But anyway .... We also worked on some armbars, too, so that was cool. I only subbed one guy today, but he doesn't really count, because I always sub him ... and he always gets subbed by other people, too.

This one guy I went up against was actually getting very agitated at not being able to get out of my grip, so he started complaining and asking me what I was trying to do exactly and what not, but I continued to control him. I almost got him in a key-lock, but to no avail. I should have gone for an armbar or a knee bar.:icon_chee

Afterwards, we did some sprinting intervals, bearcrawls, gorillawalks, pushups, situps, squats, and uh ... that's it. This is my first time back in about 3 weeks! My stamina was quite poopy.

On a side note, my outer wrist is STILL hurting, so I might take a break on the grip stuff until it stops. Very frustrating.

I like the gi. But I like no-gi too. I used to dislike the gi until I got used to it. Now I with there was hoodie grappling. Hahaha!

Frodo said:
I like the gi. But I like no-gi too. I used to dislike the gi until I got used to it. Now I with there was hoodie grappling. Hahaha!

Hehe, yeah, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Monday:

Weighted Pull-ups

3 x (bodyweight + 90lbs) New PR!:icon_chee

These were HARD! dah!

Rolling Thunder singles and timed holds (left hand only, injured right hand a lil' bit)

Pinch Grip (left hand only, injured right hand a lil' bit)

Bent-Over Rows

4 x 205

I don't know what the deal was, but these seemed heavier than usual. Maybe it was because the bw + 90lb pullups ... I don't know.

Squats

10 x 45
10 x 95
8 x 135
6 x 185
6 x 185
5 x 205

Dumbbell Military Press

10 x 40lb dumbbells
8 x 50lb dumbbells
2 x 65lb dumbbells :redface:

These were hard, dangit! A lot harder than doing each arm seperately. Well, 2 is better than 0, I guess.

Tuesday:

BJJ class

.... OK, today, to put it bluntly, I got RAPED. By THIS guy http://starjiujitsu.com/instructors.htm the second guy from the top, Sina Haddad, who is:

Coach Sina Haddad is a recognized World Champion specializing in Judo and has trained at the Kodokan in Japan.
- Third Degree Black Belt in Judo - Silver Medalist (Kier Bulgaria)
- 20 years experience in Judo - Bronze Medalist (Central China)
- 10 years experience in coaching Judo - Silver Medalist (Iranian Armed Forces in Italy)
- Over 150 gold medals Judo - Gold Medalist (Dallas Invitational Judo Championship)
- Iranian National Judo Team Member - Six Years - 2 time Gold Medalist (Lonestar Championship)
- Gold Medalist (Turkish / Iranian Championship) - Silver Medalist Texas All Star Judo Tournament

Yes. He raped me. I think in the 15 minutes that we went at it, he submitted me about 7 or maybe 8 times. All different submissions, too. He was very surprised that I was a white belt, though, and thought I was higher than that, so I definitely take that as a compliment.

Today was one of those days where ... you either A.) Feel so beat that you decide to quit, or B.) Use your losses as motivation to train harder and to learn from your mistakes.

I choose B. Sina is a heck of a nice guy ... I wouldn't want to make him mad, though, haha.

Well, he looks exactly like a guy who would rape young men...

But, train hard for a few months and then go whoop his ass!

Diligent said:
I got RAPED.

He's a black belt brudda, that's what they do. Expect to get pwned, but don't EVER get used to it. You never know, you might catch him slippin.... Atleast that's what I tell myself when I tangle with my instructor. :icon_chee

Back