Grip, BW, and weight lifting stuff for Wrestling/BJJ

Very nice job brother. YOur hard work has payed off. Same as it will with your squat.

rickdog said:
Very nice job brother. YOur hard work has payed off. Same as it will with your squat.

Thanks, brother. I'll be doing deadlifts tomorrow for the first time in like ... over a year! I won't go heavy, though ... not that I can, anyway ...

Lord's Day:

Wrestling practice from 1:00 - 3:00. Brutal. Brutal practice. My penetration on my shots has really improved ... big time. I need to work a lot more on my finishes, though. My coach said that since I've started penetrating so well that now he has the proper ground to start showing my some real effectice finishes. ... we have been working a lot on actual set-ups to shots and when to shoot, rather than just like a dumb-dumb randomly going for someone's legs. We have been working a lot on "touch specific" drills in how to set our opponent up to be vulnerable, and they have been working. So now, since I've really improved in this and am getting through that barrier, my coach will take the next step ... and so will I. I'm getting people down, but it's usually with very sloppy technique and raw power and I end up expending A LOT of energy when I COULD just use a better technique with less energy to get the guy down. This will help especially when I go with guys who can match me in strength. Can't wait till next wrestling takedown class.

After practice, I did deadlifts for the first time in ... over a year, I believe.

Deadlifts

135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 6
185 x 6
205 x 4
205 x 4

These felt pretty good. I used to use the sumo stance, but I find I get a better leg and back workout with the more narrow stance, so I used the narrow stance. I find it harder to keep my back perfectly straight though with the narrow stance ... is that normal? I didn't go to failure or anything, so I didn't push it that hard. The bottom part was the hardest part of the 205, showing my lack of leg strength. The last, top half of each rep was super-easy.

Close-grip pushups (thumbs touching each other)

I didn't go to failure on these, either. We did a lot of pushups before practice for the warmup, though.

Deadlifts, wow, the man finally went back to doing them...:))

Deadlifts

135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 6
185 x 6
205 x 4
205 x 4

Looks good, but try this your next Deadlift workout, 10-15 sets x 2 reps with 190pds..:))) Keep rest periods between 30-45 seconds.

Duncon76 said:
Deadlifts, wow, the man finally went back to doing them...:))

Deadlifts

135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 6
185 x 6
205 x 4
205 x 4

Looks good, but try this your next Deadlift workout, 10-15 sets x 2 reps with 190pds..:))) Keep rest periods between 30-45 seconds.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. I'll do that next Sunday. Thanks.:D

Glad to hear you're getting more confidence in your takedowns. Here's a drill I used to do at home. You'll need a partner who is preferably heavier than you by 10-20 lbs.

Take your shot (double leg) as slow as you must to get it right. At this point, your partner should assist slightly by hunching over your shoulder. Instead of lifting the leg and turning the corner, drive your hips forward and up (keep your back straight and your partner close), and lift your partner. In the finished position you should be standing straight up with your partner over your shoulder. Now the important part...Do this on BOTH sides! DLs, Squats, and shouldering sandbags (or freestyle dummies) will help you with this drill. It will make you double leg a thing of beauty. Good luck

bacon said:
Glad to hear you're getting more confidence in your takedowns. Here's a drill I used to do at home. You'll need a partner who is preferably heavier than you by 10-20 lbs.

Take your shot (double leg) as slow as you must to get it right. At this point, your partner should assist slightly by hunching over your shoulder. Instead of lifting the leg and turning the corner, drive your hips forward and up (keep your back straight and your partner close), and lift your partner. In the finished position you should be standing straight up with your partner over your shoulder. Now the important part...Do this on BOTH sides! DLs, Squats, and shouldering sandbags (or freestyle dummies) will help you with this drill. It will make you double leg a thing of beauty. Good luck

Great advice. I wish I had a brother or somebody at home to practice this on when I'm not at practice ... I might try this after practice with one of my wrestling buds. I'll make sure to do both sides, too. Thanks, bacon!

Tuesday:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practice today. Went well, good workout. Learned some variations of escapes from someone when they are about to get the armbar.

I'll do some Rolling Thunder stuff tonight in my garage after work, and some neck bridges, too.

I think I'm gonna buy a 3 inch wide PVC pipe tonight and make it into a dumbbell to practice extra thick stuff!!!:D

Diligent said:
Tuesday:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practice today. Went well, good workout. Learned some variations of escapes from someone when they are about to get the armbar.

I'll do some Rolling Thunder stuff tonight in my garage after work, and some neck bridges, too.

I think I'm gonna buy a 3 inch wide PVC pipe tonight and make it into a dumbbell to practice extra thick stuff!!!:D

LOL, you are the grip master! Pretty soon you'll be like Dan Hodges. He could turn an apple into apple sauce with one hand.

bacon said:
LOL, you are the grip master! Pretty soon you'll be like Dan Hodges. He could turn an apple into apple sauce with one hand.

Ha! I'll have to try that sometime. That would be funny to do that at work in front of my boss ...

bacon said:
Dan Hodge used to crumple single sheets of newspaper with one hand to build grip strength. Its tougher than you think. Try to go through a whole newspaper alternating hands on every sheet....good luck!

More on Dan Hodge..
http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/photos-then.html

Thanks for the site. That would get tiring doing all of that paper! ... ... hmmm ... ... *goes and buys newspaper*:icon_chee

Wednesday:

Weighted pull-ups

(bw + 55lbs) x 8 reps New PR! (I actually could've done more of these, but held off for the next set)

(bw + 55lbs) x 7 / 8 reps

Bodyweight pull-ups

3 sets of 10 reps

Weighted Dips

(bw + 55lbs) x 8 reps
(bw + 90lbs) x 8 reps New PR!

Bodyweight Dips

3 sets of 10 reps

3 sets of front and side neck bridges

handstand pushups

1 set of 8 reps

Squats (to parallel) (yes, I did them at UTA this time:redface: )

10 x 45lbs
10 x 95lbs
10 x 135lbs
8 x 155lbs
6 x 175lbs
4 x 185lbs

To be honest, the first time I did squats, I think I was going to parallel, not a little below parallel, 'cause I was looking at myself from a mirror from my right side, and today, I was just going down to parallel, not below, so I might work on my depth a little. I didn't feel any stronger on these than the last time I did them ... maybe my leggies were still recuperating from the deadlifts ....

Rolling Thunder singles

heavy day (went up to 140lbs w/ right hand, 135lbs w/ left hand)

I almost got 145lbs w/ my right ... almost.

Mouth presses *w/ pizzabells*

Hey, c'mon, there was free pizza at work! Honestly ...

War Van ARsdale. The rest of your picks I agree with. Nice job on your lifting!!

rickdog said:
War Van ARsdale. The rest of your picks I agree with. Nice job on your lifting!!

What!? Hey, haha, do you want to have a sig bet between us? Like if Babalu wins, I get to make up a humiliating sig for you that you have to have for 2 weeks, but if Van Arsdale wins, you get to make a humiliating sig for me that I have to have for 2 weeks.:icon_chee

If Babalu wins, you have to have this sig: Hello, my name is rickdog. I have bowel-control problems, and sometimes, I make doodoos in my pants. Good thing I wear a diaper everyday.

Haha, ps, thanks on the lifts. I was surprised that I got (bw + 55lbs) x 8 on pullups ... and I could've done a little more, too. In a couple of weeks I might try 65lbs on the weighted pullups. Those dips with 90lbs were hard, though.

Alright, you're on. If I VA wins your sig has to say, "Hi, my name is diligent, I have a question for you. Do farts have lumps? If they don't then i'm in big trouble."

rickdog said:
Alright, you're on. If I VA wins your sig has to say, "Hi, my name is diligent, I have a question for you. Do farts have lumps? If they don't then i'm in big trouble."

Haha! Alright, it's ON, diaper man!!!:icon_chee

Saturday:

(No BJJ today because of a Machado Tourney.)

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 140lbs). Geeez, it took me like 15 attempts to finally get 140 w/ my right. And I couldn't even get 130lbs with my left today ... today was kinda an off-day.

#2 Captains of Crush gripper overcrushes. I am literally 1/4 of an inch away from closing it with my right hand ... AFTER Rolling Thunder singles.

Back