Grip, BW, and weight lifting stuff for Wrestling/BJJ

Placebo_ said:
Sounds like a good decision man.

Placebo_ - Thanks, bro. I'm still at peace with this decision ... especially after I just had a great wrestling takedown practice at Star Jiu-Jitsu. :D

Lord's Day:

Wrestling takedown class from 1:00 - 2:30. We worked on some cool counters to single leg attmepts and some throws for about an hour, and then we did 20 - 30 minutes of live matches (takedown only, not too much ground work). Matches went well, only 1 guy got the best of me (because of my hesitancy (is that a word?)), and my coaches said this was the best they've ever seen me (although I couldn't tell THAT much of a difference ... I guess I'm learning??? :D )

Then we did pushup, situps, jump squats, bw squats, situps, situps, and more situps. ug.

Afterwards, I did some Rolling Thunder singles up to 125lbs. Tuesday I'll be trying for 140lbs with my right hand again!!! Hopefully this time I'll get it!

I would personally like to thank bacon and 3rdEchelon for their advice concerning training my legs. I did squats for the first time in ... almost a year ... this last Friday, and honestly, I could IMMEDIATELY feel that I had much more power and explosiveness in my shots today! Big difference. To be honest, the reason I tried staying away from most any weight lifting was to not gain weight for wrestling ... because of the weight class I would be in when I would've competed, but I am glad to say that I have dropped that mentality (esp. since I for the most part won't be training with the UTA team anymore) and am not worried about some weight gain at all. Thanks guys. I won't be going super heavy on weights or squats like I would be training for powerlifting or something, but I will keep the squats and maybe deadlifts in my routine.:)

Hey, man, fellow wrestler here from Finland. Your training log is really interesting. Has given me good ideas for my training.

Just a question though, how long have you been wrestling? What's the standard age to start wrestling in the States?

Feature boy said:
Hey, man, fellow wrestler here from Finland. Your training log is really interesting. Has given me good ideas for my training.

Just a question though, how long have you been wrestling? What's the standard age to start wrestling in the States?

Actually, I just started wrestling about 5 - 6 months ago, so I haven't been wrestling for very long at all. I wish I started when I was youner ... I played ice hockey all of my life and never really new much about wrestling until a couple of years ago when I first saw the UFC and Pride FC.

Here in the U.S., I think a majority of people usually start wrestling their freshman year in high school when they are like 14 or 15 years old. Some start even younger when they are in middle school, like when they are 12 or 13 yrs old ... but I have even seen kids as young as 4 - 5 years old wrestling! :eek:

How long have you wrestled?

r i l e y said:
dont maybe the deadlifts. deadlifts are key

That's funny you posted this today, because late last night, I figured out a way to change my schedule around for lifting to fit squats AND deadlifts in, and I will be changing my schedule for lifting today (in post #1). Thanks for the encouragement. :D

Tuesday:

BJJ practice from 11:00am - 12:30pm. Practice went well. All of the black belts and brown belts show up to the morning/afternoon classes, so I'm gonna start coming more to these ones.

After class, I did:

Rolling Thunder singles (up to 135lbs).

#2 CoC gripper overcrushes

I wanted to do some stairs or mile runs yesterday, but me legs were still killing me from squats ....

Squats (going below parallel):

45lbs x 10
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 8
175lbs x 6
185lbs x 4

That is great, but if your a fighter..Deadlift..not barebell squat..

Duncon76 said:
Squats (going below parallel):

45lbs x 10
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 8
175lbs x 6
185lbs x 4

That is great, but if your a fighter..Deadlift..not barebell squat..

Can I not do both?

I started wrestling a little over a year ago, and wish I had started way earlier, since I'm 16 already (in Finland, the usual starting age is under 10 years or so :eek: ) and on top of that, just as I was starting to get the hang of things, I broke both the bones in my left forearm in practice. Boom, ain't allowed to do anything till April. The only thing keeping my arm together is a pair of metal rods inside the bones...

But, when I can wrestle again, I'm gonna train hard as hell. I'm also thinking of bulking up during the summer (possibly even to the 212 lbs from my current ~160 lbs, heck I might even enter the 265 lbs division) since, let's face it, the higher the weight class, the less speed & skill needed.

But, keep up the interesting log, I might start my own here when I get back to training.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you should definitely do deadlifts. They build great strenght in your lower body & back.

Diligent said:
Can I not do both?
I wrestled and I definatley can attest to the squat being a key exercise in my training. It definatly helps in leg drive and strength for balance and greco roman throws. It will also help the explosivity of your shot. I would not recommend dropping squats for anything. Yes, If i where you, I would do both.

Feature boy said:
But, when I can wrestle again, I'm gonna train hard as hell. I'm also thinking of bulking up during the summer (possibly even to the 212 lbs from my current ~160 lbs, heck I might even enter the 265 lbs division) since, let's face it, the higher the weight class, the less speed & skill needed.

Oh dear... :eek:

Granted, the higher weight divisions do have some big, slow guys that are out of shape, BUT, they never make it very far. The good Heavys have speed and technique and the GREAT ones have speed, technique AND stamina. Do NOT move to a higher weight class with the assumption that it will be easier. BTW...good luck putting on 100lbs over the summer...

rickdog said:
I wrestled and I definatley can attest to the squat being a key exercise in my training. It definatly helps in leg drive and strength for balance and greco roman throws. It will also help the explosivity of your shot. I would not recommend dropping squats for anything. Yes, If i where you, I would do both.

rickdog Word, brother. ... All I know is I did squats ONCE just a week ago and I could already tell a BIG difference in my shot. I would like to add deadlifts in, and like everybody is saying, I know it will really help, so I will be doing those on Lord's Day, I believe. :D

Wednesday:

Weighted Pullups (bodyweight + 45lbs)

2 sets of 8 reps

Pullups (bodyweight only)

3 sets of 10 reps

Weighted Dips (bodyweight + 45lbs)

2 sets of 10 reps (this was pretty darn easy, but I didn't want to over do it for the first time)

Dips (bodyweight only)

3 sets of 10

3 sets of front and side neck bridges

Situps

I wanted to do squats today, but since I worked out in the UTA gym, I didn't want to do them ... because I am ashamed of my squat #'s ... so I am going to do them tomorrow ... I know, I know, that's extrememly vain, and I WILL do squats in the UTA gym tomorrow regardless of my baby-man-like numbers. I can't believe I didn't do squats today ... that was really dumb and vain. Anyway, the weighted pullups felt good, and the weighted dips felt great. I will have to do squats tomorrow at 24-hour fitness because of my insolence.

Feature boy said:
I started wrestling a little over a year ago, and wish I had started way earlier, since I'm 16 already (in Finland, the usual starting age is under 10 years or so :eek: ) and on top of that, just as I was starting to get the hang of things, I broke both the bones in my left forearm in practice. Boom, ain't allowed to do anything till April. The only thing keeping my arm together is a pair of metal rods inside the bones...

But, keep up the interesting log, I might start my own here when I get back to training.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you should definitely do deadlifts. They build great strenght in your lower body & back.

Man, sorry about that injury. ouch. That's A LOT of weight to gain! haha Yeah, that would be cool for you to start a log here. I'd be very interested in seeing your progress. :D

Oh c'mon guys, it's not like I'm planning to bulk all that during the summer... :D Maybe I frased it a bit funnily. And I don't really know if I wanna bulk that high anyway, it was just a random thought in my mind.

Diligent, really brother, don't be ashamed of your little numbers on the squat. Practice good form, which i would bet that most of the guys squatting in the gym don't have. Contrary to popular belief, using the proper form will allow more weight and help keep you injury free. Put your pride away bro, and just get in their and squat.

Soon enough they will be looking at you thinking, "isn't that the guy who used to squat with the 25's on each side", and possibly be asking you for advice. Long and the short of it, don't sacrafice your own gains based on what others may think of you. You are way beyond that brother. Keep up the good work. You are already ahead of most people by the fact that you are willing and ready to squat.

Wait till you really start and feel the power it produces in your hips and glutes. YOur shots will be so much more powerful and faster. Also when you grab your opponents leg and he tries to sprawl you will found it much easier to drive through and finish the takedown. Keep up the good work. Your workouts look good. Add some deads and they will be even better. Good Job man! I'm proud of you stepping up and gutting out the "difficult" (ones that make you hurt) exercises.

rickdog said:
Diligent, really brother, don't be ashamed of your little numbers on the squat. Practice good form, which i would bet that most of the guys squatting in the gym don't have. Contrary to popular belief, using the proper form will allow more weight and help keep you injury free. Put your pride away bro, and just get in their and squat.

Soon enough they will be looking at you thinking, "isn't that the guy who used to squat with the 25's on each side", and possibly be asking you for advice. Long and the short of it, don't sacrafice your own gains based on what others may think of you. You are way beyond that brother. Keep up the good work. You are already ahead of most people by the fact that you are willing and ready to squat.

Wait till you really start and feel the power it produces in your hips and glutes. YOur shots will be so much more powerful and faster. Also when you grab your opponents leg and he tries to sprawl you will found it much easier to drive through and finish the takedown. Keep up the good work. Your workouts look good. Add some deads and they will be even better. Good Job man! I'm proud of you stepping up and gutting out the "difficult" (ones that make you hurt) exercises.
Thank you, brother. I need posts like this. Amen.

Thursday:
Squats (below parallel)

15 x 45lbs
10 x 95lbs
10 x 135lbs
10 x 135lbs
10 x 135lbs

Since I will be doing deadlifts (for the first time in a looooong while) on Lord's Day, I thought I might just go light and keep practicing my form ... save me legs for Lord's Day. I'm trying to keep good form ... feet spread, head back, back arched, butt out, keep core tight, move hips first when descending, keep weight on balls of feet/hips, stop at a couple inches below parallel, make sure knees aren't going too far foward (even though this is never a problem when I do the other before techniques), keep back arched and straight, ummmm, I can't think of what else, but you get the idea. My knees and hips felt great.

Rolling Thunder 30 second holds with 90lbs (light day)

Then I did lil' bodyweight complex with no rest in between exercises, 15 seconds rest in between sets:

Bodyweight lunges (across gym and back) then shots (across gym and back) then bodyweight lunges (across gym and back) then 50 bw squats then front and side neck bridges ... rest for 15 seconds ... repeat this lunge/shot/lunge/squat/bridge thingy 3 times.

1 mile run on treadmill starting @ 7.5 speed and ending @ 10.0 speed.

Saturday:

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day)

NEW PR!!!!!!!!! I got 140lbs on the Rolling Thunder with my right hand!!!!! woooooo

Back