Grip, BW, and weight lifting stuff for Wrestling/BJJ

Feature Boy, bacon, thanks for the encouragement. And yeah, bacon, that's one thing I DON'T want to do - get used to being whooped like that. Next time I'll come back against a him a little bit better. I'll still get spanked, but maybe not AS bad! hehe

Thursday:

BJJ practice

Today went well. We worked on getting our knee on our opponent's chest from side control, controlling them from that position and countering their 'counters', and then getting the armbar, and also the kimura. Live matches went well. I am learning a lot of more stuff on passing the guard and doing all of the 'little things' that are vital in passing the guard ... rather than getting stuck in someone's guard or half-guard all the time.

Then I went to the gym.

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 140lbs, and also left hand only, 'cause of hurt right wrist)

Went well. I haven't gotten 140 with my left hand in a while, and I know 145 is close.

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs) and sets w/ 1 25lb plate and 1 35lb plate (60lbs)

Front, side, and back neck bridges

3 sets

Deadlifts

6 x 135
6 x 225
6 x 225
4 x 275

Light day.

Bodyweight Pull-ups

1 set of 10 reps

nutin' to it

Close-Grip Dumbbell Bench Press

10 x 30lb dumbbells
10 x 50lb dumbbells
8 x 60lb dumbbells
4 x 75lb dumbbells new little pr:D

I got 3 reps on the 75lb dumbbells last time, but couldn't lock out with 4. Got it today. woo.

I got 3 reps on the 75lb dumbbells last time, but couldn't lock out with 4. Got it today. woo.

Congrats :::::))))))))

Duncon76 said:

Congrats :::::))))))))

Thanks, Duncon76! I know 75lb dumbbells aren't that heavy, but it's hard on close-grip, I swear!!! haha

Monday:

Weighted Pull-ups

1 sets of 3 reps w/ (bodyweight + 90lbs)

Still couldn't get 4 full reps. Dah!

Rolling Thunder singles and timed holds (heavy day, up to 150lbs)

New PR!:icon_chee 145lbs with my left hand! It's about time! I almost got 150 with my right. I've gotten 150 before with my right, but I'm just coming back from an injury.

Bent-Over Rows
4 to 5 reps x 205

Squats

10 x 45
10 x 95
8 x 135
6 x 205
6 x 205
6 x 205

New PR!:redface: I finally finished the 3 sets of 6 with 205! Now I'm off to 225 ... yipe!

Dumbbell Military Press

6 x 60lb dumbbells

OK, I chickened out of doing the 65lb dumbbells. There. I said it. And not only that!, but I COULD have done more than 6 reps on the 60lb dumbbells ... but I didn't ... bah! Veeek!

Nice lifts! Do those eagle loops let you not have to bend down as much on deadlifts???

Taken off my log...Right, I have have to bend over much, I can keeep a nice 45 degree angle with my back and just lift up...Helps with lifting the weight off the floor. Since that can be a sticking point as well. Love the lift :)))

Duncon76 said:
Nice lifts! Do those eagle loops let you not have to bend down as much on deadlifts???

Taken off my log...Right, I have have to bend over much, I can keeep a nice 45 degree angle with my back and just lift up...Helps with lifting the weight off the floor. Since that can be a sticking point as well. Love the lift :)))

That's cool. I might try getting them in the future.

Thursday:

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 150)

Drats! I couldn't lock out with 150lbs w/ my right hand today! Bah! I did get 140 again with my left, though, and almost got 145 afterwards with my left hand, too.

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs)

Weighted front, side, and back neck bridges

2 sets (bw only)
2 sets (bw + 10lb plate)
2 sets (bw + 25lb plate)

Weighted neck bridges pwn!

Deadlifts

6 x 135
6 x 225
4x 275
4 x 315

New PR. Never done that many with 315 before. It was pretty hard.

Close-Grip Dumbbell Bench Press

10 x 35lb dumbbells
10 x 50lb dumbbells
8 x 60lb dumbbells
6 x 75lb dumbbells new little pr again:D

I got 4 reps with those 75lb dumbbells last week, but today I was able to push out 6 reps! I'll probably stay another week or two at the 75's and then move up to the 80's.

Dude, your really asking for trouble when you add weight to bridges. Alot of Cervical compression, not good. Do bridges without weight..

Feature Boy, I did the back neck bridges with the weight place on my stomach and held with my hands. I did the front neck bridges just by having somebody from the gym place the weight on my lower back ... but like Duncon76 said, it might not be a good idea to do them ....

Duncon76, well, when I do front neck bridges, I am keeping my body parallel to the ground, and not keeping my butt up in the air like a reverse bridge .... I am not really bridging that far up when I do back neck bridges, either. I'll basically lift up until my middle back is like 6 inches off the ground and I will hold it (which I think is harder than doing a real high bridge, personally) and also tilt to each side and hold it there as well for a little while. I'm not doing a back neck bridge where like my forehead and nose are touching the ground ... I don't go that far. Is that still bad to add weight if I am not bridging very high at all???

BTW, thanks for your concern and advice. Right now my neck feels great, but I definitely don't want to hurt it like you are saying .... I'm not trying to argue or anything with you at all ... I am just wondering if the way that I am doing it is not as bad as a 'conventional' neck bridge that is pretty high off the ground ....

See ya everyone. I will not be posting on Sherdog anymore or going into the forums. Steve, I'll give you a call ASAP. :D

Hey, guys, just an fyi, I am still doing my thing with wrestling/bjj/weights/grip, I am just posting on the gripboard now instead of Sherdog. I kinda got fed up with a lot of the trash on this site and decided to move on to the gripboard, which I feel is a much more positive atmosphere/forum with not as much garbage as on Sherdog that I don't want to look at.

I am also posting my routine at:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=18688

:icon_chee

Back