[GIFS] Jon Jones is the most complete fighter in the world

B-But the best mma wrestler is gsp tho and and current p4p # 1

Last edited:
Jesus this thread is freezing up my phone but holy shit amazing job this is the most work I've ever seen put into a thread War Jones!

Great GIFs. Jones is a joy to watch. Murders all his opponents and he's going to finish Gus sometime in the 1st 2 rounds.

B-But the best mma wrestler is gsp tho and and current p4p # 1

GSP's great but how can you be in consideration for best in the world when you don't finish anyone?

GSP beats his opponents.

Jones destroys them.

I'll say Mighty Mouse cause we've seen his guard at work and he 's great at everything else.

Amazing thread, Jones is #1 P4P.

Deal with it.

GSP is 31 while Jones has not even hit his prime. He has done much more than GSP at a younger age. When Jones is 31 we can then compare the two but until then all we can say is that Jones has done more at a younger age.

Yes....I agree with you. But we are comparing their skill level now and not when Jon is 31. This is not about who's beaten better fighters or done more.....its about who is a more compelte and skilled fighter.

Jones is amazing but for the most complete fighter, it has to be either GSP or Weidman.

Why do people get SO SHOOK when people say, Jonathan is actually more a HW than a LHW?

probably because he weighs 205 pounds at the weigh ins instead of 240+

In 3.....2.......1.... "If he can make 205, then he is a LHW".

Ok I see you are already aware you are not making sense. Why ignore it and insist on not making sense?

Jones is as much a heavyweight as Anderson is a LHW. Aldo a LW. GSP a MW, etc pp

The champs in most divisions tend to be on the bigger side, Jones cuts probably less weight in pound total than Barao or Aldo do or Bendo did...

GSP's great but how can you be in consideration for best in the world when you don't finish anyone?

GSP beats his opponents.

Jones destroys them.

There is more to being a complete fighter then finishing fights......although I think it is a important part of being complete.....GSP just has so much to show in terms of his skills.

Jon lacks a lot of things that GSP shows in terms of skills

Technically speaking, GSP is the most complete fighter, imho.

This. Nice try TS, but, GSP has already won poll after poll asking this same question "Who is the most complete fighter/champion in MMA?". Need proof? It's right here on Sherdog courtesy of MicroPoll.com. :cool: That said, let's bring up some obvious weaknesses for Jones and his competition as well.

- Jones has shown no actual KO power in his standup. Not even his helicopter spinning elbows have knocked anybody out on the feet, nor have his kicks, punches or knees.

- Jones has questionable BJJ defense (suspect BJJ defense). Please see the Vitor Belfort fight. We was in trouble more than once in that fight and nearly had his arm broken (bicep damage was sustained and his arm was popped, Vitor let go thinking it was over).

- Jones' boxing game, honestly, is horrible. He doesn't put together/string together punches well at all and the concept of boxing and combination punching to him are still very new. He's also yet to really demonstrate that he can even have decent boxing for MMA. That punch he dropped Machida with looked terrible and the angle he landed it at, the position of his body (head turned away), is absolutely a technical textbook failure of technique. He countered Machida's very predictable left straight with a right hand (which, again, was horrible technique that left him open badly). His angles aren't too good either, he can't cut them too well because his lack of footwork limits this (already covered his footwork above).

- Jones' movement is awkward and his footwork is almost non-existent. He's pretty flat-footed, again, unlike GSP.

- Jones' chin hasn't been tested enough yet. Tonight, Gustafsson will certainly test it. Let's see if he has a good beard on him.

- Jones' striking defense leaves A LOT to be desired. He more or less completely relies on his huge 85" wingspan (and the reach that comes from having this) to always strike at a distance and control the range. When this is negated (like Lyoto was successful at doing in the 1st round), Jones' striking defense is downright awful. He was running away from Machida and getting punched while looking awkward as hell. Against Rampage, when Rampage went in for the kill and threw big hooks at him, he ran faster than Forrest Gump.

10.gif

Ever seen Tito vs. Wand for the vacant UFC LHW belt (back in Japan) many years back? Tito ran from Wanderlei's punches much like Jones was against Rampage. Both had no answer (that answer being good striking defense and/or counters). :icon_idea

- Jones hasn't fought anybody very skilled AND his size yet (which will change tonight). We'll see within just a few hours how he does against a big, dangerous striker that's very skilled in Gustafsson.

- Not only has Jones had a ton of size over all of his opponents since fighting for the LHW belt and defending it, he's also been fighting all of these former champions that have been on the decline and/or are far out of their primes (or MW's like Chael and Vitor that don't belong at LHW in the UFC today). When GSP was fighting the best guys in the world, and he still is, he was fighting them in their absolute primes, unlike Jones.

The most well-rounded fighter in the world is St-Pierre. He has no weaknesses and not finishing in years isn't a defensive weakness/hole. St-Pierre has the most guard passes in the UFC, he has the most takedowns landed, the highest takedown accuracy, the best double-leg takedown in the sport, and the most significant strikes landed (not to mention the longest reigning champion currently in the UFC still, most title defenses etc). Jones may only need very few significant strikes to finish a fight but he won't be able to finish everybody so efficiently once he starts fighting guys that can take it and/or avoid it, bigger guys for example.

probably because he weighs 205 pounds at the weigh ins instead of 240+

Ok I see you are already aware you are not making sense. Why ignore it and insist on not making sense?

Jones is as much a heavyweight as Anderson is a LHW. Aldo a LW. GSP a MW, etc pp

The champs in most divisions tend to be on the bigger side, Jones cuts probably less weight in pound total than Barao or Aldo do or Bendo did...

You seem VERY shook.

Jones is as much a heavyweight as Anderson is a LHW. Aldo a LW. GSP a MW, etc

The first sentence is true. That said, GSP would be a very small Middleweight for sure. In fact, most of the top MW's are larger than the top LHW's. GSP is only 5'10 and cuts from around 190 pounds these days (20 pounds to get to 170, pretty standard stuff). GSP isn't even the biggest Welterweight, guys like Lim and Maia make him look small to name just two.

Jones has done more than any other champion at a much younger age. We still have not seen the best JJ.

that is what is scary as hell actually, he is only 26. :eek:

In terms of this thread, I approve. Hard to argue with the harsh reality that bones uses about every offensive and defensive technique you can name and he uses them at that right time and in the right situation. I suppose he could lose tonight but I'm betting he beats the piss out of Gus.

Back