Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

I’ve worked both union and non-union construction. When I was young and dumb I was completely taken advantage of by employers. Having me do dangerous work with poor quality equipment, long hours and low pay. They honestly didn’t give a shit about my health or my future.

luckily I started working for a guy that taught me about what to expect from a good employer and what my value is as a hard working motivated employee.

ultimately the prevalence of shit employers led me to go work in the union where pay and protections were contractually obligated.

Unions have their own set of problems but it’s far better for employees

I’m pretty jaded but I tell my kids that if an employer is mistreating you, they should tell the boss to fuck off and walk right out the door
I figured this out early. Worked for a private company as my first job out of college and quit for half the pay to work for a city. It's like a union. Defined benefit plan (pension), protections, etc. Never saw a ghost in 26 yrs either. Even as good as it was, once I got enough years I was able to buy my last 4 (cost me 18k x 4) to retire early. Some people live to work I only worked to live.

What's nice about this is that when talent in the developed world throws its toys and refuses to work, it makes room for those of us in the developing world to exploit the talent gaps in higher income countries. And if you're in knowledge work field, you can do it remotely.
"The Great Resignation" is gonna have some interesting long-term effects.

Of course, that sucks when your job market's on the wrong side of that equation.
Good luck but don't be surprised if you're fired when they decide to work again.

For the love of god, don’t do fiber cement siding. That stuff is garbage.
Instillation is a major pain in the ass.
Everyone I’ve ever talked to that has it on their house has regretted it.

Regretted it due to the hassle of installation or due to the quality of the product afterward? If I'm paying someone else to do it, I don't really care if installation is a pain. If the product is shitty, that's a different story.

What's nice about this is that when talent in the developed world throws its toys and refuses to work, it makes room for those of us in the developing world to exploit the talent gaps in higher income countries. And if you're in knowledge work field, you can do it remotely.

Of course, that sucks when your job market's on the wrong side of that equation.

Problem for developing world is theres always someone cheaper

Example from construction days

First came baltics and russians, now considered too expensive.

So now we got polish and romanians, who are about to get replaced by central asians.

Wonder who replaces central asians

lol I'm a refrigeration mechanic in Canada . We have the opposite problem. Cheap Guys willing to come who have fuck all clue what they're doing and end up costing you more money in the long run. Then when you call licensed guys like us to fix the fuckup its here's the price take it or leave it. It's true we have more leverage at this point
I would only hire licensed insured bonded so if they burn my house its covered. I actually built 3 homes as owner builder so I'm pretty knowledgeable as things go - did all the trim work, doors and cabinets and all painting with my airless for example. Subbed everything else out to real contractors. I wont touch electric or gas period. And definite wont hire a hack.

sounds like a pussy with no character. Oh well....Bidens got their replacement coming in by the thousands each week.

Have you picked up a sweet remote work gig?

Entitled Gen Z'ers have been a problem for a little while now. That's why we have open borders.

Regretted it due to the hassle of installation or due to the quality of the product afterward? If I'm paying someone else to do it, I don't really care if installation is a pain. If the product is shitty, that's a different story.
Both.
The cost of materials may be cheaper than vinyl but instillation costs are much more expensive. It doesn’t hold paint as well so you’re going to have to repaint it about every 10 years. You’re going to have to caulk the seams every couple of years. It’s not as energy efficient as vinyl. Fiber is much more brittle so it can lead to cracking and chipping.
Just don’t do it.

Problem for developing world is theres always someone cheaper

Example from construction days

First came baltics and russians, now considered too expensive.

So now we got polish and romanians, who are about to get replaced by central asians.

Wonder who replaces central asians

Race to the bottom. This is what capitalism does without pushback and why Financial industry is making all the real money gains in last 20-30 years. https://www.rogueeconomics.com/bill-bonner-diary/the-financialization-of-the-american-economy/

They smartly got mom and pop into it all (with 401k 403b etc) so in effect tied them to the beast that is trying to pay you less and less.

Race to the bottom. This is what capitalism does without pushback and why Financial industry is making all the real money gains in last 20-30 years. https://www.rogueeconomics.com/bill-bonner-diary/the-financialization-of-the-american-economy/

They smartly got mom and pop into it all (with 401k 403b etc) so in effect tied them to the beast that is trying to pay you less and less.

I mean what they do is kinda illegal here btw

They pay them official minium pay in construction industry. About 10 euros in hour.

Then they make them go to atm and return them 5 euros in cash.

Hourly pay ends up being 5 euros

This is priceless boys, I've been giggling the last 10 minutes

I took a job at a grocery store when the pandemic started. In Canada, pretty much all of us were guaranteed $2K a month from the Feds. My business had to shut down, so I could have gone that route, but I know how lazy I can get, so I didn't want to get stuck in a rut. I lost all my benefits too, and the company I took the job with has a decent plan. I was also worried about the job market once things died down, so I figured an essential establishment was a good choice to ensure some regular $$. Besides, I liked being close to food supply and toilet paper :D

Even though I took a massive pay cut, I had a blast last winter. I haven't been that happy in years, near zero stress. Once we sold of some assets from my company, I was extra comfortable. It almost felt like a prolonged vacation in a different country and picking up a job to pay for your fun things.

Anyway, I'm still there part time to keep the benefits, and all the free food, while slowly reopening my business. They are struggling with employees badly. I work overnights, which isn't easy for most (I love it) so people come and go constantly, without warning. One guy who started tonight, just left in the middle of this shift. I'm in the parking lot taking my break right now, and the guy walks past with a bag of chips he's munching on. I asked if he was going home early and he said he's quitting. It's hilarious because he's stealing that bag, as we can't buy/pay for anything until the cash opens at 7am. No fucks given lol

The company deserves it. They raised wages initially when the pandemic started, but cut them once they had enough staff. It was such a douche move, as their profits are still through the roof, especially last year when very few businesses were allowed to operate.
My buddy is a school teacher with two masters so he gets like top pay from the board in Toronto, and still works at grocery stores on the weekend to pay off student debt and make some extra cash as he says he enjoys it and says its easy money as he has been there since a teenager so he says he makes decent scratch working there.

I worked for a shop for 15 years before it went corporate with new management. Things got restructured and I became disgruntled so was called into the office. Here's the punchline:

"This is your first and final warning. But if you're considering other employment please have the courtesy to give us 2 weeks notice."

Yeah? Get fucked. You get what you give and 8f the relationship is unbalanced then it's garage.

Both.
The cost of materials may be cheaper than vinyl but instillation costs are much more expensive. It doesn’t hold paint as well so you’re going to have to repaint it about every 10 years. You’re going to have to caulk the seams every couple of years. It’s not as energy efficient as vinyl. Fiber is much more brittle so it can lead to cracking and chipping.
Just don’t do it.
It's definitely not cheaper than vinyl. Idk if we're talking about the same stuff. There are a lot of different fiber cement products. I'm talking about something along these lines:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/James-Hard...8pNaKy9se4Hb0FHT9zRoCnEYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You do realize that a lot of these employers are small business owners who are barely staying above the poverty line themselves, right? Who work 16 hour days, barely see their families? Not every business owner is Jeff fucking Bezos.

A lot of you anti-capitalist dweebs are so detached from reality and how the world actually works, it's amazing.
if your business relies on paying people less than a livable wage to survive, it’s not a business.

Back