1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by 12ga., Sep 23, 2021.

1. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

True. Think about how many people send out resumes to companies that advertise jobs and never even get a simple rejection email. Speaking for myself, when we advertise a position we might get 50 responses in a day and send an email back to maybe 10 of them. The other 40 will never hear from us - can I really expect open dialogue when this is how I'm treating applicants?

Isa, ookii, no fat chicks and 6 others like this.
  2. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Not trying to insult you, but is this something you could youtube and do yourself on your own time with a buddy?

Im no plumber but my FIL and i fixed a major issue for 100 bucks together vs hiring a plumber to fix it for over 1k.

Canned Tuna likes this.
  3. Sohei Its just a flu bro!

Sounds like these companies can't handle the free market. Who would have guessed?

4. Strategery Purple Belt

I think it is a combo of labor supply/demand, plus low incentive to work (millennials, COVID handouts, live with parents, etc). They just do not need those jobs that badly.

5. Yehudim Brown Belt

They don't understand how much of peoples time is wasted and how much false hope is gradually just withered away. After it's been over a month, you just kind of figure yeah, I didn't get it. Job hunting sucks if you're not a very qualified person.

If I ever get into the position where I'm hiring people, I'm definitely going to try to get some automated email to let people know to not hold their breath.

Khabib Khanate and panamaican like this.
  6. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

I could, but it would be a lot of time and effort that I really really don't want to put into it. It's 12 windows and my wife refuses to get vinyl siding (we'll probably end up with fiber cement, but also open to vertical wood) so that makes the siding much more difficult and time consuming than just throwing up some vinyl which I've done a couple times before.

I work out of town and don't get a lot of time at home. I'm strongly opposed to spending a large amount of my limited time at home working. Not to mention, it would probably take me longer than a weekend and I don't want to have a long stretched out, half finished project. I've already got enough of those.

Solid, Badger67 and panamaican like this.
  7. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Spend money buying free time. Fastest way to enjoying your life, imo.

8. Broken arrow Brown Belt

I’ve worked both union and non-union construction. When I was young and dumb I was completely taken advantage of by employers. Having me do dangerous work with poor quality equipment, long hours and low pay. They honestly didn’t give a shit about my health or my future.

luckily I started working for a guy that taught me about what to expect from a good employer and what my value is as a hard working motivated employee.

ultimately the prevalence of shit employers led me to go work in the union where pay and protections were contractually obligated.

Unions have their own set of problems but it’s far better for employees

I’m pretty jaded but I tell my kids that if an employer is mistreating you, they should tell the boss to fuck off and walk right out the door

12ga., Ornife and Canned Tuna like this.
  9. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

That's what I'm trying to do, but no one wants to work on my house

<DCrying>

Sohei, Wadtucket, Solid and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fugazy You sure about that, that that’s why? Double Yellow Card

Wrong thread child

PhitePhan and Yehudim like this.
  11. TheJewBear Green Belt

So if nobody wants to work and unemployment benefits run out, what exactly are these people going to do for income? Why do workers suddenly feel like they can ghost $20/hr jobs?

evansusmc2, uppercutbus and PhitePhan like this.
  12. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

They're really not. They just have a temporary cushion to fall back on, so they have no incentive to stay at a low wage job. That's not gonna last forever, and when the benefits inevitably get cut back to where they were, they're not gonna be so bold when looking at their alternative of living under a bridge in a cardboard box.

This isn't some grand awakening. People have hated shitty low paying jobs since forever. The only reason they didn't walk off in the past, was because it was still better than unemployment. That time will come again.

13. Fugazy You sure about that, that that’s why? Double Yellow Card

Been trying to get a new entry door and it’s been a bitch.

Can’t even get guys to come by for an estimate.

I don’t want to go commercial but I might have to. Even then those projects are being scheduled weeks/month out.

panamaican and Canned Tuna like this.
  14. Renard Red Belt

There's no "labour shortage", the shortage is because the listings for entry level job positions all look something like:

- PhD in the field, or equivalent education
    - 10 years experience in a similar position
    - 10 years experience using this specific, obscure software that has only existed for 2 years
    - Minimum wage

Fuck these muppets. If they were legally allowed to export ALL their job positions to lowly paid slaves in third-world countries, they would.

deviake, skaleton, Sohei and 2 others like this.
  15. fedoriswar37 Black Belt

lol I'm a refrigeration mechanic in Canada . We have the opposite problem. Cheap Guys willing to come who have fuck all clue what they're doing and end up costing you more money in the long run. Then when you call licensed guys like us to fix the fuckup its here's the price take it or leave it. It's true we have more leverage at this point

16. Solid Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

3 years is the average time I stay at a job anyway

17. Solid Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I don't think it's feasible to expect a rejection email for every application. When I apply I usually forget which ones I apply to anyway, I apply for hundreds at a time and hear back from a couple

18. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm not saying that you should expect a rejection email for every application, only that this is where the relationship is. What used to be part of the normal communication processes are no longer so. Naturally, that's going to include how employees act, not just how employers act.

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  19. jefferz Steel Belt

For the love of god, don’t do fiber cement siding. That stuff is garbage.
    Instillation is a major pain in the ass.
    Everyone I’ve ever talked to that has it on their house has regretted it.

20. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

Sure, that's normal. Move every three years for a raise and some new scenery. But it wouldn't have to be that way if it wasn't common practice for employers to leave employee wages stagnant and hire outsiders rather than promoting from within.

I don't really have a problem with moving around every few years if that's what I've got to do to avoid getting super bored with my job and/or wage stagnation. It would be nice to be able to stay with this company, though. They really are pretty great to their employees (probably due to the fact that 70%+ of the employees are union and another 25% are former union. It kind of sets a standard)

Assuming I get the job I recently applied to, I'll have a good chance at promoting to the plant manager/superintendent level after a few years. At that point I will have hit my glass ceiling and will need to acquire a degree to get to the director level.

Solid and Sohei like this.