1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by 12ga., Sep 23, 2021.

1. Bald1 War Room Can

Agreed. You gotta show people the same level of respect they give you. The paycheck is earned and same goes for your time and effort. This isn't a one way street, so unless the employer is invested in you then you're under no obligation to give more than your due diligence. This was my mindset managing as well as when I had a few guys working for me. There's no room for unrequited love type of bs in a work environment.

I had a boss tell me, all magnanimous like, he'd "give me" my requested time off. At the same time he'd tell us to go home once already on site if there wasn't enough work to go around. Fair enough, but if you're gonna deprive me of $ at the drop of the hat, then I'll take my scheduled time off whether you'll "give it to me" or not. Lol

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. MichiganMMA1978 Brown Belt

I agree, but should it be a career? Or some kid using it for resume experience?

3. evansusmc2 Red Belt

Workers??? If that’s your idea of “workers” than I question your work ethic.

4. Orgasmo Silver Belt

You don't have labor shortage problem. You have a low pay problem.

surrealworlds, 650lb Sumo and Sohei like this.
  5. TUFNewb Red Belt

Lol at "ghosting". Makes them sound like such victims. The horror.

In my day this was simply referred to as quitting a shit job on the first day cause it sucks ass and is not even worth the time to tell anyone. Happened all the time. No big deal.

A consequence of the great recession was an administrative revolution that allowed companies to squeeze more out of resources for less. Sounds like that revolution might also have some consequences of its own playing out right now...

Mr.Maelstrom and deviake like this.
  6. Ramon Antonio Black Belt

How do you not know in advance that a low paying job is going to suck?

7. Diogenes of Sinope Red Belt

Finally I agree with the Dem Sherdoggers on a topic

8. PrinceOfPain Gold Belt

Doesn't work that way. At a cost-to-quality ratio, I'm worth way, way more than anyone they'll find locally.

You're not wrong, but I think we should acknowledge the difference between unskilled, low-skilled, and skilled work. While the OP is about low-level work, the "Great Resignation" is predominantly seeing middle-aged men in the tech sector, skilled knowledge workers, walking out halfway through their careers. They can't just be replaced by anyone off the street.

Russians and Indians are probably my biggest threat at the moment. But I almost exclusively serve Anglo markets - so, English is a huge advantage. It's a big world, but there is only so much skilled and fluently English competition out there.

I don't really like that it works this way, but in a globalised world - high-cost workers should probably bear in mind who their competition is before walking out on their jobs. Also, in a globalised world, it helps if a person knows if they're high cost, relative to what's really out there - and developed world employees are generally a higher cost than they're worth, even when they think they're being underpaid.

Yeah. Our economy is absolute shit :D So, I've been earning dollars and pounds, so that I'm insulated from it, for a few years now. 2020 fucked me in a couple ways, but it also did great things for my income.
    When no one wants to work, that's when it rains money.

ETA: Apologies. Didn't mean to bump this.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Canned Tuna likes this.
  9. badascan Red Belt Platinum Member

Stop giving free shit to young adults...

What happens when parents spoil their children? We've all known spoiled children and some of us were that child. If the child gets through it and realizes the damage done they would never do the same to their children. Parents, teach your children well...

The same works (no pun intended) for governance and this is clearly by design. Why would a spoiled child think things are earned not given? They wouldn't, they will not make effort to take care of themselves when everything's been handed to them... And most current young adults have child-like mentalities...

10. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Agreed. Apparently companies only like the laws of supply and demand when they work in their favor.

The next important step is to cure the mass fucking Stockholm Syndrome the country has related to this. It's understandable that companies are lamenting this state of events. But why are regular individuals? Instead of realizing that the doors to our cages have been temporarily unlocked, people are identifying with their oppressors.

Companies have no problems that better pay, benefits, and treatment won't fix.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Mr.Maelstrom, no fat chicks and Sohei like this.
  11. DespicablePeep Red Belt

makes the problem worse for whom Walmart, McDonalds, Amazon? mom/pop operations pay more than this giants. They don´t care if border policies raises crime considering they live in gated communities and have security. You are just a chill for neocons like most leftists.

12. Ophydian Silver Belt

Raises prices on the consumer since any increase in labor will be passed onto the consumer. Consumers prior to COVID had a hard time buying fresh produce.

13. DespicablePeep Red Belt

Americans have been fed industrialized pizza with this nonsense, they cannot afford good food with bad pay, its not just the minimum wage being dragged down, but small businesses having to compete with huge companies that hire illegals.

14. Ophydian Silver Belt

I don't disagree but that doesn't factor into the discussion as low-paying field jobs are taken by seasonal migrant labor which does not impact other low-paying fields. If we were to raise the wage of seasonal jobs so that it is enticing to the average American, it would increase the cost of those food items even more than they already are.

We need some level of cheap non-national labor to provide goods and services at a low cost that makes them semi affordable.

15. spamking Click, click, boom! Platinum Member

I've been a Fed for over 26 years. Did 2 years at my first duty station, then 3, the 4.5, 3 again and I've been at my current one for just over 14. I recently got offered a new job that's 100% telework without being required to supervise folks. So I'm hoping to do that to close out my 30 years.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  16. Natural Order Cosmic Alpha

So long as acquisition and facades of wealth govern the world, we will always be in the ebb and flow of this discussion. All of the absurd ideas floated to fix the problem are just that, absurd. Minute bandages that at best will buy a few years before the discussion and angst returns.

It's like watching a bunch of people running around on fire complaining about a back ache.

17. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

Good for you, man. Hopefully it stays great.

18. Solid Steel Belt

19. machidafan99 Gold Belt

Th Great Lockdown/Great Reset had been paying low jobbers more to stay home and now they're picky and don't wanna work.

20. sleepyguard85 Green Belt

Lol I’ve ghosted a few shit companies with their shitty jobs and shit managers. Fuck them.

kokoei and 650lb Sumo like this.