Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

I think it's not just employees though. It's hard to get a contractor to fix your AC they often won't show. Right before I left vegas and was selling my house it took like 10 calls to get someone out. Then of course, knowing my predicament he wanted an exorbitant amount to fix it. Over $1500 for a fan and capacitor and recharge. Thank god for youtube and I figured it out myself about $400 new parts with a recharge tool I had to buy. Actually I did all the remodel myself , paint, new marble, etc because I couldn't get contractors reliably or on time. Worked out ok because it took me 6 months hard labor and house continued to go up but at 52 years old I don't like being on my knees 8 hrs a day. Then quality of workmanship is another whole issue. we're just a lot different nowadays top to bottom.
Not to sound oldman-ey but it's the gig economy mindset. Employers want to treat employees like contractors and now employees are treating employers like they're driving for Uber. Work when you want, work for 2 companies at the same time, etc. The old world work relationships are so dead it's crazy.

Although on the contractor side of things, I hear that's a supply/demand issue. During the pandemic, contractor demand went through the roof so that contractors are now in the position to ignore work that isn't lucrative enough. I had a buddy have 3 different contractors tell him that he sounded like too much of a hassle because he wanted an itemized breakdown of the projected cost, instead of just the final figure. They literally said to him, each in their own way, that they didn't need his project, they had more than enough work so either he did it their way or he can do it himself.

Having represented contractors over the years, it's an incredible change in the power dynamics.

Not to sound oldman-ey but it's the gig economy mindset. Employers want to treat employees like contractors and now employees are treating employers like they're driving for Uber. Work when you want, work for 2 companies at the same time, etc. The old world work relationships are so dead it's crazy.

Although on the contractor side of things, I hear that's a supply/demand issue. During the pandemic, contractor demand went through the roof so that contractors are now in the position to ignore work that isn't lucrative enough. I had a buddy have 3 different contractors tell him that he sounded like too much of a hassle because he wanted an itemized breakdown of the projected cost, instead of just the final figure. They literally said to him, each in their own way, that they didn't need his project, they had more than enough work so either he did it their way or he can do it himself.

Having represented contractors over the years, it's an incredible change in the power dynamics.
This is actually a really good point. The power dry basics have essentially flipped in some sectors.

<BidenShutIt><Dany07>

So she is basically giving them the idea to ghost her......self fulfilling prophecy? Imagine hearing this during orientation, it's like a huge red flag for any worker, and they instantly get the ghost idea implanted in their brains.

Im guessing the lady is a horrible boss?

Right?

Haha, I interview, take a job I think I like, and then during onboarding they keep talking about "please don't quit immediately without telling us like the past people we hired kept doing"

I am immediately back to looking for interviews elsewhere and quitting that if I get one. Something isn't right there, and I don't want to waste 3 months or even give them the courtesy of a 2 week notice to find out why

You know shits going in the wrong direction when you have recruiters in the food service industry.

Servers in my area right now are being recruited via job fairs for 18 an hour to start. I half debated applying but im not the kind of person who tolerates peoples bullshit. 18 an hour plus tips is pretty solid.

We need to move away from quarterly profits driving stock prices. It creates a fucked up environment for most businesses as it's all about short-term profit over long-term benefit. If employers could focus on retaining employees because it was good for long-term survival I think a lot of things would change. As it is right now, CEO are incentivized not to care.

A hospital near me froze wages, stopped retirement contributions and heaped extra work on everybody in the clinic while sending all the back office people to work remotely with no capacity for oversight for 18 months. Everything began working less efficiently, so the difficult compounded on the clinical staff. Then wages went up for basically every other type of job in the area.

The result was that support and clerical staff in clinic began to quit, either changing industries or filling in back office jobs that are remote and don’t carry as much stress or infection risk. That piled more work on the nurses, who can’t discharge patients properly, creating shortages of beds, during a covid surge that’s already straining the system. The nurses are paid well so they’ve got a higher retention rate, but once that domino falls it’s going to blow up Clinical staffing all over the state. It’s been a colossal cluster fuck that could have been averted with minor pay increases to reflect added workload. These are not surprising outcomes, they are more or less inevitable.

I don't care about huge corporate fat cats but the truth is this probably doesn't hurt them. It definitely hurts lower level managers, who are not the corporate fat cats.

Regardless, agreed wholeheartedly-- if workers are treated like garbage, garbage is the quality the entities will get

We need to move away from quarterly profits driving stock prices. It creates a fucked up environment for most businesses as it's all about short-term profit over long-term benefit. If employers could focus on retaining employees because it was good for long-term survival I think a lot of things would change. As it is right now, CEO are incentivized not to care.
It's pretty much destroying the planet as well and makes political change not in line with Wall Street impossible. It also kept us in Afghanistan with generals lying for 20 years because they knew a MIC board room position awaits at the back end of a career, if they play the game. Gordon Gecko was wrong.

No wonder US is letting the border loose they need unqualified minimum wage labour that is reliant and won´t just leave the job midshift.

No wonder US is letting the border loose they need unqualified minimum wage labour that is reliant and won´t just leave the job midshift.

We were telling you all in 2016 that closing the border would have dire implications. But NOOOO, white privileged Americans want to pick strawberries and work in slaughter house cause them brown people are taking our jobs.

I'm a fucking realist. I realize we need foreigners to do the shit jobs average Americans won't. It's the GOP who doesn't get this because they hate anything not like them.

I think it's not just employees though. It's hard to get a contractor to fix your AC they often won't show. Right before I left vegas and was selling my house it took like 10 calls to get someone out. Then of course, knowing my predicament he wanted an exorbitant amount to fix it. Over $1500 for a fan and capacitor and recharge. Thank god for youtube and I figured it out myself about $400 new parts with a recharge tool I had to buy. Actually I did all the remodel myself , paint, new marble, etc because I couldn't get contractors reliably or on time. Worked out ok because it took me 6 months hard labor and house continued to go up but at 52 years old I don't like being on my knees 8 hrs a day. Then quality of workmanship is another whole issue. we're just a lot different nowadays top to bottom.
Dude, I've been trying to get my siding and windows replaced for 18 months. No bullshit. I'm completely blown away at how much these guys just completely aren't interested in the job. I haven't tried to haggle or anything to chase them off. They just tell me they'll get back to me with a bid and never do. I'm about to have an aneurysm over it.

We were telling you all in 2016 that closing the border would have dire implications. But NOOOO, white privileged Americans want to pick strawberries and work in slaughter house cause them brown people are taking our jobs.

I'm a fucking realist. I realize we need foreigners to do the shit jobs average Americans won't. It's the GOP who doesn't get this because they hate anything not like them.

You sound gotten, shit jobs could have better wages if there were no people willing to do them for 15h, that is free market. Billionaires will keep getting richer while poor people will have to deal with more violence, crime, and run-down neighborhoods. But glad you are happy that now megacorps have people for shit wages.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I'm just stating that this is what you get with unfettered capitalism. If you want to live in a society where a tiny percentage of people own the vast majority of the wealth and everybody else works for them and earns enough to just scrape by, then here you go. I guess that means America won, right?

Oh my bad dude, I misunderstood you. I completely agree.

Good, fuck em - I know some of you guys have seen that meme about about jobs ghosting you. A simple rejection would have sufficed but these motherfuckers couldn't give us that.

Back