Media George St. Pierre: Islam Makhachev is "P4P Best Fighter, Starting To Reach GOAT Status"

Of course he needs way more defenses, but I dont think GSP said he was already there. He said he has the potential to be.

If he beats Arman, then another top LW, then goes and gets the WW belt and defends at least once, I can see him being mentioned with those names.
still no

Defend the belt 10 times against all comers.

Then you can be mentioned with those greats

I know everyone descredits it cause he's from a weightclass below, but Volk was looking unstoppable when Islam beat him and P4P#1, So was Charles being p4p #3 and on a double digit win streak. Poirier was a cherry ontop. He already has 3 title defeneses and more than likely going for the WW belt.

LW and WW being historically the 2 of the toughest divisions in UFC ever. His GOAT case can be made pretty soon tbh.
10 title defenses… then we’ll talk.

GSP beat BJ Penn too, who was LW champ… at UFC 98.

BJ was unstoppable at that point.

But no one brings it up as GSP’s crowning achievement.

Islam has a long way to go

If he beats arman and takes walterweight belt he can be the goat i think

If he beats Arman, that's basically GOAT status, maybe 2nd or 3rd tier GOAT status, but still GOAT status. I'd say Khabib is 2nd tier GOAT status below the best for sure but around in the argument. If Islam breaks the LW title defense record, the LW win streak record and ties the UFC win streak record...it becomes hard to argue his strength of schedule against him, undeniably it is weak for where he's at but still, he is at where he's at.

Islam is easily the best p4p fighter in MMA right now, guys like Topuria, Omalley and Leon have work to do to catch up. That said if Topuria beats Max and Evloev, or Omalley beats Merab and Sandhagen/Umar...they're all right there because these opponents are a lot better than Islams. Leon needs to beat Shavkat before he's in any conversation. Guys like Pantoja, Poatan and Dricus aren't in the talk.
Your bias is showing. Besides someone pointing out you're underrating Islam's wins, you're also overvaluing an Arman win like crazy (and I think a few others on that list that are somehow similar to Arman). Take your Poatan example. If both Islam and Poatan retired tomorrow, one would be a legend and Islam would still be Khabib's protege. EVEN with another Arman win. It might be a bit of an unfair comparison, considering Poatan's overall experience/age, but realistically, I feel like they may have the same amount of fights left. Islam needs 3 wins, winning at welterweight, to even get up there. Maybe he will surprise me by fighting more than that. They don't even have to all be wins.

P4P#1? Sure.

Approaching GOAT status? Lmao. Not even close. He didn't even start fighting elite competition until about 5 fights ago.
And how much does one need? Most of the goats fold after 5 high profile opponents.

I've had so much pushback on saying he isn't close to being GOAT too.

Islam fans are nuts.

they all are nuts. even Khabib is not a GOAT. kids now a days don't know what a GOAT looks like, the closest thing they ever seen is Jon Jones. GOATs are GOATs because they win FOR A LONG TIME. you can't come in, beat a bunch of mediocrity, and then have 2-3 good top tier fights and retire the GOAT, even if they were all wins. in every single sport the GOATs are GOATs because they put up an undeniable streak of superiority over the course of a long period of time that is likely not to be surpassed. these days of getting 3 title fights in 4 fights is total bullshit.

I've had so much pushback on saying he isn't close to being GOAT too.

Islam fans are nuts.
That's because both of you are shadow boxing then coming out declaring yourselves winners.

No one in this thread is saying he is. There is a consensus that he needs multiple defenses at LW and a second belt at WW, that's a lot of work to do.

Who has he beat?! Bobby Green and Dan Hooker? He just got his ass beat by a midget featherweight. If he can beat Arman, Gamrot then Oliveira again then we’ll talk.

Back