George R.R. Martin reads from his newest book

I've also been revisiting "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan.. The writing can't even compare with that of Martins and I grow bored of it easily.. I must be getting old.

"Waste of Time" series, more like it. I barely had pubic hair when the first book in that series came out.

Martins only 64. Don't think he's gonna kick the bucket as soon as you morbid bastards think haha.

I don't have as much as a problem with Martin taking awhile. He's free to work on his on pace. After all, they're his books.

Stephen King survived binging on every drug known to man (he claims he was so fucked up in the 80s that he doesn't remember writing Cujo period.) And getting smashed to bits by a van and still finished The Dark Tower.

Stephen King also didn't have the BMI of a beached whale.

Seriously, have you read any of GRRM's passages about food? This man clearly loves to eat. Red blood cells are lining up single file to deliver oxygen to his heart./

I heard Weis & Hickman are the contingency plan.

Awesome. They we can read an entire book about Dany's romance with one of her dragons in human form.

"Tales of Dunk and Egg" series – set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire
"The Hedge Knight" (1998)
"The Sworn Sword" (2003)
"The Mystery Knight" (2010)
"The She-Wolves of Winterfell/The Wolf Women of Winterfell" (working titles only; forthcoming)

/fwap

I've never read any of this Martin's books, but I wasn't impressed by what he read.
He knows how to move a story along, but the vocabulary and his ways of describing imagery is not very inspired. It's kind of muffled by every other word being a fantasy name or place, which make it read a straight road riddled with speed bumps.. but again, I guess if you read it form the start, you'd be used to that.

^^ he read uneventful excerpts on purpose.

if you followed the storyline from the very beginning, every word no matter how uneventful would mean something.

I've never read any of this Martin's books, but I wasn't impressed by what he read.
He knows how to move a story along, but the vocabulary and his ways of describing imagery is not very inspired. It's kind of muffled by every other word being a fantasy name or place, which make it read a straight road riddled with speed bumps.. but again, I guess if you read it form the start, you'd be used to that.

just shut up

That makes sense from a business perspective.

if you followed the storyline from the very beginning, every word no matter how uneventful would mean something.

Targath waited above the cliff face for the Nagathians. In the dusk, it may have looked as if the rocky walls aimed to strain their shadow beguilingly toward him, as if to suggest a game of favorites was afoot, and he, Targath of the mighty Slimith Clan would fall upon the eyes of the unfavored. It was a risk to be there in the first place, knowing the Nagathians, having sailed far from Arun upon their mighty Borkas across the mighty Sea of Balaas, would be anxious to relieve their inhibitions on to him. Looking slightly over his shoulder, his unshaven stubble shielded his skin from a determined gust which funneled up the cracks and crevices. This would be a day to write about, if only those who could were abundant enough to do so!:icon_chee

just shut up

And lo, thebluerider did strikeupeth his sword, beating it against his breast in a valiant attempt to rile the harlequin. His chain mail composed a song of metal as it reverberated against his armor. Striking indeed where his features, and few would speak out otherwise. This was clearly a man made of principal and honor. Even with his jimmies so rustled, he remained formidable. There and henceforth, none would question such stature.

-The Book of Urcel, Chapter II, Verse VI

Victoian is definitely going to die right? I hope not. also, what role do yous guys think Euron will play in all of this?

we need to get all the red priests/priestesses together & have one grand future visions session.

& again, I really hope for a dragon to fly up norf.

I find it hard to believe that he can wrap up the series in two books.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

I agree with him. WOT isn't on the same level as ASOIAF.

I'm really enjoying Malazan Book of the Fallen though.

I find it hard to believe that he can wrap up the series in two books.

I agree with him. WOT isn't on the same level as ASOIAF.

I'm really enjoying Malazan Book of the Fallen though.

does malazan get easier to follow... i am two chapters in and feel like im all over the place in time and location... its back and forth and here then there...

the whole first book is tricky to follow. the rest are easier.

does malazan get easier to follow... i am two chapters in and feel like im all over the place in time and location... its back and forth and here then there...

I'm almost done with the first book and I'm getting the grasp of it. It gets pretty interesting further in.

Also, this is what I've heard...

the whole first book is tricky to follow. the rest are easier.

gotneddi70yjr25uw.gif

Yeah. There have been other authors and critics who have said Martin isn't the best when it comes to the nuts and bolts of writing, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. He can build a world. But, like you said, every little word can make a huge difference in knowing what is happening or what is happening next. You can pick up all kinds of things you missed during re-reads or other people pointing things out. It's more complex than many realize.

The Malazaan books are absolutely brilliant. Ericksons anyway. the other guys aren't nearly as good though.

I'm reading it right now, and am a littler over half way in 'Gardens of the Moon.' It's a pretty tough book to follow...there are so many characters and races; it's definitely a book you'd have to read a couple times.

I'm not liking it anywhere as much as ASOIAF but it's pretty good.

I'm almost done with the first book and I'm getting the grasp of it. It gets pretty interesting further in.

Also, this is what I've heard...

Yeah, I'm getting it the more I get into it, but the first few chapters, I didn't have a clue wtf was happening.

I also suggest reading the glossary first...or at least part way through the book.

Back