George R.R. Martin reads from his newest book

Just finished A Feast for Crows a week ago. It was actually really, really slow.. Not much happened and I would say it's my least favorite out of the series. Hopefully A Dance With Dragons picks up a notch or three..

I've also been revisiting "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan.. The writing can't even compare with that of Martins and I grow bored of it easily.. I must be getting old.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

I love and hate this series. I hate it because I can't put it down and I'm only two books into it. Five books to go. at 700 plus pages each I might catch up by the end of this coming summer.

Feast then Dance took long cause he couldnt figure out where to go with some of the things he wrote himself into. He called it a "Mereneese Knot."

Feast then Dance took long cause he couldnt figure out where to go with some of the things he wrote himself into. He called it a "Mereneese Knot."

Well there's so many storylines that it well get harder and harder for him. He basically wrote himself into a corner, I don't expect him to finish the books, the series will only be finished on tv imo.

I was implying that Jordan's work is meant for a much younger audience. I'm getting older and need the violence, curses, and some of the other extremes to keep me entertained as a reader.

"Blood and ashes!" just doesn't cut it anymore.

I really enjoy Joe Abercrombie's take on fantasy as well.

Martins only 64. Don't think he's gonna kick the bucket as soon as you morbid bastards think haha.

I don't have as much as a problem with Martin taking awhile. He's free to work on his on pace. After all, they're his books.

Stephen King survived binging on every drug known to man (he claims he was so fucked up in the 80s that he doesn't remember writing Cujo period.) And getting smashed to bits by a van and still finished The Dark Tower.

It took him 6 years to finish A Dance with Dragons even though it was half finished when he released A Feast for Crows. He's had several chapters for The Winds of Winter written since before he finished Dance. I don't know how long you've been following Martin's work but he is notorious for getting sidetracked from his writing by all manner of nonsense.

been reading long enough to know that it was originally supposed to be 5 books then got moved to 7. There was a pretty big change involved in this i would bet.

i would say that is why there was such a gap between feast and DoD.
and now he got that figured out and knows what he wants to happen it will not be that big of a gap in between books again.

but he does need to stop writing all this other shit.

fuck wildcards

also, i'd fuck the fatty interviewing him. i am a madman

Too bad I'm only a quarter of the way through AFFC, so I'm nervous to watch the video even though I've seen multiple spoilers.

He is actually finished the last 2 books. He's just working on writing the details about the meals and food the characters eat which should take until roughly 2016

He is actually finished the last 2 books. He's just working on writing the details about the meals and food the characters eat which should take until roughly 2016

lies.

he's deciding which events Dany will wear her tokars to, & how she feels about wearing them.

I have an iron stomach, but there's something very wrong with the way he writes about lamprey pies.

It disturbs me.

I dunno about you guys but I like my dry hard salt beefs when travelling.

A Dance with Dragons wasn't released too long ago and he's already releasing chapters from the new book. I think he'll be able to do these next books faster because he knows where he's going with the story and now there is a sense of urgency because of the show where there wasn't one before.

I wonder if the struggle he had finishing ADWD actually helped him flesh things out faster for the next book. I haven't read it yet so no spoilers :p But just a thought.

any word on more Dunk & Egg shorts? fucking love them

nevermind

Planned installments: Martin has said that he would like to write a number of these stories (varying from six to twelve from interview to interview) covering the entire lives of these two characters. A fourth installment is currently being written for Dangerous Women, a sequel of sorts to the Warriors anthology. It will focus on Dunk and Egg in the North and the Wall. Martin announced on his 2011 national book tour that the Dunk and Egg series will be collected into a book and published by Bantam Spectra after the fourth novella is first published in an original anthology he and Gardner Dozois are editing.

Back