• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gane owning Aspinall: "I'll see you in September, stop tripping"

Everything you say about Jones is true. It actually sounds like me describing the latter years of Jones' LHW career. Thing is, for me, Gane's disastrous performance vs Jones is still just one fight. Despite his glaring weakness, he has cut deep into the HW division, without much trouble at all. That's because getting at his weakness has not been as easy as Jones made it seem. Again, I expect Aspinall to get the job done. My only point is that Gane is not some UFC fabricated mirage - in a division where everyone can end your night with a punch, he has gone 12-2. He beat Volkov, Spivak and Lewis (when he was on a 4 fight win streak), and he very nearly beat NGannou. His striking is a problem for everyone.
The enormous advantages Gane has over 99% of HW: speed, athleticism, striking, that allow him to mask and not have his glaring weakness (grappling) exposed, are not enormous advantages over Tom. Tom close to, matches or exceeds him in those areas. Gane might still retain a small advantage in striking, but it won't be such a huge advantage for Gane in combination with a huge advantage in speed and athleticism, that will keep Tom from getting to his weakness.

Also, there's a fair chance Tom can take him out on the feet too.

Gane usually has huge advantage on feet, all fights starts on feet, so most HW don't get near his huge weakness.

V Tom Gane has a small or no advantage on the feet and perhaps and ever more huge disadvantage on the ground.

That's the difference

It's not just about Gane's weakness. It's how Tom matches up to Gane's strengths and weaknesses

Back