Floyd Mayweather Jr. retires?

Well i didnt want to see floyd/dlh 2 or another hatton fight but damn I was really really wanting to see him and cotto.

But I think he comes back in 2 years or less

Screw him. Anyways who ever takes a boxers retirement seriously. Probably holding out for more money. THats the problem with Mayweather he only boxes for the $ and always lets you know that.

If he lets you know that, what's the problem?

Maybe he quit to start training MMA to prove to the world he has what it takes.

Great, nobody wanted to see this fight anyway.

oh, no doubt.

and like others have said, if this stops the bullshit that is second oscar fight and especially a second hatton fight, then hell yea. Both of those fights would have been over hyped let downs.

End of thread!

Hate to say it, but I think he has a valid point.

I would be the same way, but Mayweather is a business man first, and warrior second.

As he says, "if it makes dollars, it makes sense" to justify a match against Gatti while loudly proclaiming to be the best ever.

But I do agree with you that is a tad not proper to appreciate his ability. He had an abundance. Top 25 boxer of all time................................................................................ subject for a lot of debate. :icon_chee

There was no validity to his post, the vulchers just like to come and peck at the corpses.

In this day and age, with the sport as it is, how can you not be a business man first? As far as Gatti goes....is Pavlik not fighting Lockett? Did Cotto not just fight Gomez? C'mon... Gatti was greatly overmatched but way more a complete contender than many gimmes titlists fight.

Floyd fought a tough slate over his career and gets shit on for not fighting Margarito (who has truthfully fought no one over his career, even GJ can't debate that) and Cotto (who only recently turned into the #2 in the sport). Mosley turned down a fight, and Floyd still fought a handful of HOF'ers.

There is NO DEBATE that PBF is a top 25 all time in my mind.

Either way, for those of us vested in the Las Vegas economy, this sucks on a myriad of levels.

Originally Posted by Tam-Tam
Great news if its true.

Shut up.

Sorry dude. I defend Mayweather these kinds of place, more than anybody, but I'm the first to admit that his act is tired and annoying. He hasn't been the same fighter for the past couple of years and I for one and not interested in these "event" style fights.

Anyway... Whatever. Best of luck to him. Got to respect anyone who has been in boxing for that long and got to respect each and every time he gets into the ring.

But... Let's talk about Oscar. They said they are going to make an announcement next week as to who's Oscar opponent going to be in the fall. Guess?

Hatton?

Funny thing is that the fight will be golden boy promoted :icon_twis

How many boxers get to beat up a promoter and get paid for it lol

Lets hope Oscar does not try to short change Hatton :icon_twis

There is always going to be someone out there that fans want him to fight. If he took the Cotto fight and won, people would say that Hatton looks better than ever and really deserved the rematch or that some other WW has been really impressive and deserves a shot.
Exactly.. This is prize-fighting.. I think for the right money he'll probably fight Cotto next year.

This is just Mayweather continuing to duck good competition. He didn't want any part of actually fighting De La Hoya the first time (which is the main reason that fight SUCKED), and he damn sure doesn't want to face the winner of Cotto/Margarito, cause either guy is gonna mean business and neither is concerned with protecting a 'prettyboy' image. I'd pick either of these guys to beat the tar out of Mayweather.

So basically, instead of taking a rematch against De La Hoya who he knows is bigger, stronger, and tougher than he is, or fighting a dangerous contender like Cotto/Margarito both of whom are nastier, tougher fighters than he is, he is just going to retire.

I'm not surprised he's retiring. He's scared to get hit and always has been, he's just been lucky that he's so talented.

Congratulations Cosworth, you win the worst post of the day award.

The goal of boxing is to hit and not get hit. You may not like the way he goes about doing it, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been better at that than anybody else on the planet for years now.

As was said earlier, I don't know how I'd feel about boxing if I'd been doing it for 26 of my 32 years on this earth, either. I'll cut the guy some slack if he really is hanging them up.

Floyd has had harder sparring sessions than most people have had fights.

Fact.

Sure, one thing Floyd is renowned for among EVERY class, if you actually talk to Fighters or see him train (which you probably do neither) is both his workrate in the Gym, and his particularly long and gruelling sparring sessions with Fighters who are bigger and stronger than he is.

This is something that has been long agreed upon in the Boxing Community, particularly here in Vegas. When he's got a fight, half of Top Rank's Gym migrates over to his Gym just to see it.

This is just Mayweather continuing to duck good competition.
Shut up. He's ducking nobody.
and he damn sure doesn't want to face the winner of Cotto/Margarito, I'd pick either of these guys to beat the tar out of Mayweather.
There will be always someone out there that fans want him to fight. Surely I'd like to see him against Cotto/Margarito because I'm a fan but you've to respect his decision, he proved a lot in his career and he fought a lot of great champions.
So basically, instead of taking a rematch against De La Hoya who he knows is bigger, stronger, and tougher than he is, he is just going to retire.
If he fights agaist de la Hoya again he'll beat him more clearly. trust me.

Shut up. He's ducking nobody.

There will be always someone out there that fans want him to fight. Surely I'd like to see him against Cotto/Margarito because I'm a fan but you've to respect his decision, he proved a lot in his career and he fought a lot of great champions.

If he fights agaist de la Hoya again he'll beat him more clearly. trust me.

He very well might beat De La Hoya again. But as for not ducking people, come on. He's been doing it for years. Like pulling teeth to get him to take fights.

And I'd bet a lot of money he doesn't want to fight Cotto or Margarito. Better pack his bags now before the winner of that fight calls him out...

Sure, one thing Floyd is renowned for among EVERY class, if you actually talk to Fighters or see him train (which you probably do neither) is both his workrate in the Gym, and his particularly long and gruelling sparring sessions with Fighters who are bigger and stronger than he is.

This is something that has been long agreed upon in the Boxing Community, particularly here in Vegas. When he's got a fight, half of Top Rank's Gym migrates over to his Gym just to see it.

I'm not debating training, I'm talking about in the ring. He's been in very few tough fights. Granted a lot of that is due to his amazing talent, and I do believe he's the best in the business. Just far from the toughest or most courageous.

Back