Floyd Mayweather Jr. retires?

Necrocide

Hot! Spicy! Tastes Great!
@Black
Reaction score
Apparently.

ESPN - Mayweather Jr. retires, cancels rematch with De La Hoya - Boxing

"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today," Mayweather, 32, said in a statement. "I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport."

The retirement means that his scheduled Sept. 20 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya is off.

"I have been informed of Floyd's decision and I wish him good luck," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I wish him good luck in his retirement. We will move on. Sometime next week I will announce a big fight for Oscar. There are different names out there and I will be working diligently to announce in the coming days Oscar's next fight."

My guess is publicity stunt, but we'll see.

If the $ is right he will probably be back fighting soon. Most fighters usually do come back to fight for the $.

I hope it is a pub.stunt.
But other places are now reporting this as well.
Go to google news... 3 more pop up with in a 10 minute period.

Meh.

If all he planned to give us was rematches with Hatton and DLH, I guess I won't cry about it.

aww I guess negotiations with DLH on the purse split is not going well. Floyd is just trying to assert himself, that is all

no way he leaves that much money on the table for an easy win.

I guess his nightmares with miguel cotto were too much for him.

Great news if its true.

I hope he doesnt, If he really got out there beat Cotto, Stepped up to Light middle probably the shallowest division in Boxing above 118 atm and won more belts he could really cement his legacy as one of the best of all time. I'd like to see him do this as it would be a shame if he did not because he is certainly good enough!

I don't think it matters to Floyd as he has enough Money, Maybe he was just getting Snr excited and then blowing off the rematch with DLH to piss him off?

Hasn't he retired after every single fight for the last 3 years?

No I'm not. He's just the best fighter in the world. If this little stunt gets Mayweather v De La Hoya canned, then its a good thing.

When will be the right time for Floyd to retire?

There is always going to be someone out there that fans want him to fight. If he took the Cotto fight and won, people would say that Hatton looks better than ever and really deserved the rematch or that some other WW has been really impressive and deserves a shot.

I honestly believe this guy is a little mentally unstable.

If hes not going to fight the best than im glad hes going to retire. Obviously this is most likely another publicity stunt and he will comeback and convince Ivan Calderon to move up to fight him. But Floyd will fight in Calderon hometown to take a "risk."

Sorry I sound bitter but I all I want is a Cotto fight. And he didnt deliver.

I'm so mad. haha.

Great news if its true.

Why? Thought you were a pbf fan...?

I can't imagine how Mayweather hasn't been enjoying boxing these last few years. He's peaked and stepped ahead of the pack in the last few years. I hate to admit it, but he's even acheived something rare in boxing.. He's become boxing's mouthpiece.. even if half the people watching him hate his guts. His hands are holding up well unlike earlier in his career and he has an opportunity to really back up all his talk by facing the winner of Marg/cotto.

Can't even begin to understand why he would walk away now... He'll be comparing himself to the greats for the rest of his life, because nobody is going to do it for him .

He has to walk away at some point. Best now, whilst he's at the top, then retiring on his stool, having been beaten up by a journeyman.

If hes not going to fight the best than im glad hes going to retire. Obviously this is most likely another publicity stunt and he will comeback and convince Ivan Calderon to move up to fight him. But Floyd will fight in Calderon hometown to take a "risk."

Sorry I sound bitter but I all I want is a Cotto fight. And he didnt deliver.

I'm so mad. haha.

Well it was "Pretty Risky" when he fought Baldomir :D

Back