Floyd Mayweather Jr. retires?

Your whole point is moot anyway because he's ADMITTING he doesn't want to fight anymore, at all. Get it? No more passion = not wanting to fight.

However, that aside, there's no sense in accusing him of ducking someone he's already beaten either. And if you're going to question his resume, at least do it right. He wasn't a landslide odds favorite to beat Oscar, and for like two years all everyone heard was how Hatton had the style to beat Mayweather, Hell even the MMA kids were spouting that bit of nonsense.

He won both those fights relatively easily.

Oh and bye the way, talent is not a by-product of luck. Considering Floyd's whole Family are Fighters just about, it's not accidental or lucky that he's talented, nor has he carried himself like someone who wins because of dumb luck. When Floyd wins fights, it's because he's inarguably better than the competition 9 times out of 10.

I'm not debating training, I'm talking about in the ring. He's been in very few tough fights. Granted a lot of that is due to his amazing talent, and I do believe he's the best in the business. Just far from the toughest or most courageous.

Then you misinterpreted my statement, which is that his sparring sessions in training are tougher than most people's Fights.

Your whole point is moot anyway because he's ADMITTING he doesn't want to fight anymore, at all. Get it? No more passion = not wanting to fight.

However, that aside, there's no sense in accusing him of ducking someone he's already beaten either. And if you're going to question his resume, at least do it right. He wasn't a landslide odds favorite to beat Oscar, and for like two years all everyone heard was how Hatton had the style to beat Mayweather, Hell even the MMA kids were spouting that bit of nonsense.

He won both those fights relatively easily.

Oh and bye the way, talent is not a by-product of luck. Considering Floyd's whole Family are Fighters just about, it's not accidental or lucky that he's talented, nor has he carried himself like someone who wins because of dumb luck. When Floyd wins fights, it's because he's inarguably better than the competition 9 times out of 10.

Then you misinterpreted my statement, which is that his sparring sessions in training are tougher than most people's Fights.

You said it yourself - 'for years', cause he wouldn't take the fights until it became ridiculous. Hatton had to call him out to get the fight pretty much IIRC.

Floyd Mayweather is a great boxer, on of the best ever, but he's never been particularly interested in being a fighter. Which is fine, but the problem is he continues to run his mouth.

As for De La Hoya I would pick Floyd to win again by doing the same thing, staying away from Oscar and out-pointing him, and in the meantime delivering yet another incredibly lame fight.

But I see Cotto and Margarito giving him a lot of trouble. Those guys are good and very hungry.

But I see Cotto and Margarito giving him a lot of trouble. Those guys are good and very hungry.
People said the same referring on Hatton. And fans will say the same referring on another WW even if Floyd beats Cotto/Marga. Neither one could beat Floyd imo.

People said the same referring on Hatton. And fans will say the same referring on another WW even if Floyd beats Cotto/Marga. Neither one could beat Floyd imo.

I think both Cotto and Margarito are better fighters than Hatton. Margarito is one of the busiest fighters in the world with relentless cardio and a granitic rock for a chin. I see him wading through Mayweather's punches (power is not his strongsuit) and pounding Floyd.

Now maybe Mayweather would still be shown to have too much skill, but we'll never know, because Mayweather doesn't want to fight those guys.

I think both Cotto and Margarito are better fighters than Hatton. Margarito is one of the busiest fighters in the world with relentless cardio and a granitic rock for a chin. I see him wading through Mayweather's punches (power is not his strongsuit) and pounding Floyd.

Now maybe Mayweather would still be shown to have too much skill, but we'll never know, because Mayweather doesn't want to fight those guys.

Dumb dumb dumb.

Floyd Mayweather demolished Diego Corrales, one of the biggest punchers south of 160, who also happened to be undefeated at the time.

He stopped a one-loss Jesus Chavez. Chavez has been proven to be less than elite since, but at the time he was a one loss fighter with plenty of hype.

He beat Jose Luis Castillo twice. Play semantics if you want and say he should have lost one of them. Officially, he beat him twice.

He beat Arturo Gatti. I know, no great feat. Remember, there were actually dummies (like me) that thought if Gatti landed on Mayweather, his chin wouldn't hold up. That was as one sided as hammer vs. nail.

He outclassed Zab Judah in the easiest fight to score in boxing history.

He handed Oscar De La Hoya, an all time great.

Ricky Hatton was supposed to swarm him, pressure him, get to him, and beat him. Instead he got stopped. Hard.

Knock Floyd for a lot of things, but not for ducking guys.

Conceivably, who else could he have fought. Met Pacquiao at a catch weight eventually? Paul Williams if he works his way back up? How long does Floyd wait on him to earn that chance? Shane Mosley, where if Floyd loses he's "exposed" but if he wins he just beat another fighter slightly past his prime?

Sure, everybody wants to see Margarito and Cotto fight Floyd. Mainly for the same reasons they wanted to see Ricky Hatton fight him. Well, let me save you the trouble - it would end the same way.

Margarito is one of the busiest fighters in the world with relentless cardio and a granitic rock for a chin. I see him wading through Mayweather's punches (power is not his strongsuit) and pounding Floyd.

Paul Williams would like to have a word with you about that "relentless cardio" thing.

Dumb dumb dumb.

Floyd Mayweather demolished Diego Corrales, one of the biggest punchers south of 160, who also happened to be undefeated at the time.

He stopped a one-loss Jesus Chavez. Chavez has been proven to be less than elite since, but at the time he was a one loss fighter with plenty of hype.

He beat Jose Luis Castillo twice. Play semantics if you want and say he should have lost one of them. Officially, he beat him twice.

He beat Arturo Gatti. I know, no great feat. Remember, there were actually dummies (like me) that thought if Gatti landed on Mayweather, his chin wouldn't hold up. That was as one sided as hammer vs. nail.

He outclassed Zab Judah in the easiest fight to score in boxing history.

He handed Oscar De La Hoya, an all time great.

Ricky Hatton was supposed to swarm him, pressure him, get to him, and beat him. Instead he got stopped. Hard.

Knock Floyd for a lot of things, but not for ducking guys.

Conceivably, who else could he have fought. Met Pacquiao at a catch weight eventually? Paul Williams if he works his way back up? How long does Floyd wait on him to earn that chance? Shane Mosley, where if Floyd loses he's "exposed" but if he wins he just beat another fighter slightly past his prime?

Sure, everybody wants to see Margarito and Cotto fight Floyd. Mainly for the same reasons they wanted to see Ricky Hatton fight him. Well, let me save you the trouble - it would end the same way.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. Mayweather doesn't want to find out. That's the reality.

And if I recall Mayweather only took the Hatton fight after Ricky called Floyd out publicly. He very well might not have taken the fight if not for that. It's not like it was Floyd that brought that fight on.

Problem for Floyd is that the winner of Cotto/Margarito has every right to call him out again. And he doesn't want to fight either of them.

First time he has "retired" before a fight rather than in the post-fight interview.

the problem for him retiring before fighting a few more fights is a lot of people will look back on his career and say he was a talented boxer but more of a trash talker and someone who disrespected his opponents

the problem for him retiring before fighting a few more fights is a lot of people will look back on his career and say he was a talented boxer but more of a trash talker and someone who disrespected his opponents

You said it yourself - 'for years', cause he wouldn't take the fights until it became ridiculous. Hatton had to call him out to get the fight pretty much IIRC.

Incorrect. Floyd made two offers to Hatton that were both turned down when he was at JWW. Floyd was not the one who avoided that fight.

As for De La Hoya I would pick Floyd to win again by doing the same thing, staying away from Oscar and out-pointing him, and in the meantime delivering yet another incredibly lame fight.

What I would call lame, is Floyd standing toe-to-toe with a man at least 15lbs bigger than he is, regarded as still among the top 20 P4P in the Sport, and definite HOF'er. However, he did stand toe-to-toe with Hatton, where it suited him, and knocked his ass out. When you can out-box DLH over the course of 12 rounds, that's far from lame.

Only casual fans would believe that. The same guys who say the same thing about Ali.

or glorified WW

Glorified Welterweights? Like, Cotto or Margarito? I hope you meant Junior Welterweight, and even then, Hatton WAS the unified Champ and is still considered the best JWW in the game. If Cotto had fought him, would everyone still be bitching?

Just admit it, most of you guys just want to see Floyd get his ass kicked because he annoys you, and you're upset no one outside of Castillo has seemed to even really come very close to beating him in the ring, despite his style. It's alright to feel that way, but don't hide it with a bunch of bullshit about what a coward he must be. I defy any of you to do what he does for one year and be considered the best at it hands-down.

Just admit it, most of you guys just want to see Floyd get his ass kicked because he annoys you, and you're upset no one outside of Castillo has seemed to even really come very close to beating him in the ring, despite his style. It's alright to feel that way, but don't hide it with a bunch of bullshit about what a coward he must be. I defy any of you to do what he does for one year and be considered the best at it hands-down.

I forgot to mention Hatton was made for Mayweather, Ill admit I disliked Mayweather's comment in saying that his career was solidified after defeating Hatton, DLH, etc...LOL

I posted once and post it again, Mayweather retired from competitive boxing after Brusseles

Incorrect. Floyd made two offers to Hatton that were both turned down when he was at JWW. Floyd was not the one who avoided that fight.

What I would call lame, is Floyd standing toe-to-toe with a man at least 15lbs bigger than he is, regarded as still among the top 20 P4P in the Sport, and definite HOF'er. However, he did stand toe-to-toe with Hatton, where it suited him, and knocked his ass out. When you can out-box DLH over the course of 12 rounds, that's far from lame.

Only casual fans would believe that. The same guys who say the same thing about Ali.

Glorified Welterweights? Like, Cotto or Margarito? I hope you meant Junior Welterweight, and even then, Hatton WAS the unified Champ and is still considered the best JWW in the game. If Cotto had fought him, would everyone still be bitching?

At the end of the day the questions still remain - should he fight the Cotto/Margarito winner? Yes. Does he want to? No.

He'll still run his mouth but he doesn't want to fight.

Also, I wasn't aware of the offers made to Hatton, could you give us some more info?

Margarito is one of the busiest fighters in the world with relentless cardio and a granitic rock for a chin. I see him wading through Mayweather's punches (power is not his strongsuit) and pounding Floyd.
Margarito has problems against guys with good defence, decent speed and accuracy. Clottey was beating Tony before broke his hand. Tony has never faced a guy nearly compared to Floyd under these aspects of boxing. In my opinion Floyd-Tony would be similar to Floyd-Chico, without knockdowns and with a wide UD for Floyd.

I cant believe I'm defending Floyd, but the hate in this thread against him is ridiculous.

was Brussels, Gatti, Mitchell, Baldomir, Judah, De la Hoya and Hatton the way an all time great finishes his "Prime"?

I'd probably say no, but that doesn't mean the bulk of his career should be overlooked either. Alot of "greats" are burned out before they even reach the distance.

Margarito has problems against guys with good defence, decent speed and accuracy. Clottey was beating Tony before broke his hand. Tony has never faced a guy nearly compared to Floyd under these aspects of boxing. In my opinion Floyd-Tony would be similar to Floyd-Chico, without knockdowns and with a wide UD for Floyd.

You very well may be right. But I want to see it, not imagine it.

Also, there is simply no question that Floyd has ducked Margarito. He has, period; he turned down an 8 million dollar offer to fight him, and his next fight was for that very amount.

Back