Five round fights are unfair to the challenger. All fights need to be the same length of time.

Your post doesn't make sense, but I can agree that five round fights aren't good. Imagine how much more entertaining Jones vs Reyes would have been if Jones had to push the gas in the first three rounds instead of relying on round 4 and 5 to help him catch up.

I just think a three-round fight favors exciting styles, while a five-round fight favors more conservative styles. So, what do you want to see?

Your post doesn't make sense, but I can agree that five round fights aren't good. Imagine how much more entertaining Jones vs Reyes would have been if Jones had to push the gas in the first three rounds instead of relying on round 4 and 5 to help him catch up.

I just think a three-round fight favors exciting styles, while a five-round fight favors more conservative styles. So, what do you want to see?

I purposely did not say what I prefer because the main point is that all fights should be the same length. But since you asked: 3x5 or 5x3. Defintely not both. One or the other. 15 minutes is more than enough time to determine who is the better fighter. Like you noted, Jones most likely would have fought very differently if he only had 3 rounds.

All fights being 5x5 would be horrendous. I don't share this guys anti-WMMA bias but his reasoning is otherwise spot on.

If all fights become 5 rounds I'd likely stop watching MMA. The pacing of the cards would be horrendous.
Imagine every WMMA fight being 5 rounds when the 3 round clinch fall on the ground grindathons decisions are already mindnumbing enough...

25 minute wmma and low skilled heavyweight fights sounds horrible

6 rounds of 3 minutes each, for all fights (belt, non-belt)

5x5 rounds give an unfair cardio advantage to the champion.

Jon Jones is the supreme example. He has massive almost unmatched experience in 5 round fights while most of his challengers have little if any. He's been training non-stop for five round fights for a decade.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

wasnt unfair to khabib or usman. cowboy doesnt gas out and he in main event all the time. dan henderson didnt gas out and he was in a lot of main event fights. nate diaz doesnt gas out.

I purposely did not say what I prefer because the main point is that all fights should be the same length. But since you asked: 3x5 or 5x3. Defintely not both. One or the other. 15 minutes is more than enough time to determine who is the better fighter. Like you noted, Jones most likely would have fought very differently if he only had 3 rounds.

All fights being 5x5 would be horrendous. I don't share this guys anti-WMMA bias but his reasoning is otherwise spot on.
I indeed did speak in generalizations but I'm not anti- Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg, Modafferi, JJ, GDR, Rose WMMA.....I'm anti Michelle Waterson after 1 minute the fight goes to the ground and stays there round after round with nothing significant happening WMMA.

I could say the same for mens MMA. If all Bellator fights were 5 rounds it'd be unwatchable as well. Imagine all UFC Fight Night Prelims being 5 rounders.....No.

Jones' last 15 fights going back almost ten years were scheduled for five rounds. That's decade of training for nothing other than five rounds. While his challengers train once for five rounds in a title eliminator? It's so lopsided.

So Jones should be penalized for being... ranked higher than his opponents?

What the hell

Jon Jones is the supreme example. He has massive almost unmatched experience in 5 round fights while most of his challengers have little if any. He's been training non-stop for five round fights for a decade.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

I get what you're saying but all sports have some interesting quirks to them, and I'm ok with this existing in MMA.

It's not like champions don't lose regularly anyway.
Jones/GSP/Aldo/Silva/DJ are the exceptions, not the norms.
Most champs get a couple defenses in and then are dethroned. This tells me that this championship round bias isn't that strong.

Slight counterpoint to your final line. In the NHL regular season games only play one overtime period. In the playoffs they play unlimited overtime periods. So there is a weak analogue in pro sports to having different match lengths for more significant events.

So Jones should be penalized for being... ranked higher than his opponents?

What the hell

I'm not blaming Jones. Champs don't decide how long their fights are scheduled for. That's why the rules as to fight duration needs to change and be uniform.

Five round fights are unfair to the challenger. All fights need to be the same length of time.

This why they're given time and training camps to prepare for championship rounds, it's the price you pay to be a Boss...

I'm not blaming Jones. Champs don't decide how long their fights are scheduled for. That's why the rules as to fight duration needs to change and be uniform.

They are uniform. Jon earned his championship experience by... being good enough to fight in championship fights. Shogun was his first ever 5 round fight too, and he had it on short notice as well. He went out and won it, and has been winning them all ever since. His experience was earned, not given.

If you want Jon's championship experience go become good enough to have it like he did.

All main event fights are 5 rounds, not just championship fights.

You're probably right but can you imagine if that fight had ended with the third round and they had awarded Jones the win? It would set a very high standard for robberies.
Yeah. And going by the scorecard he would've lost a split decision when it should've been a clear UD for Reyes. But even then, if it were a three round fight I think the judges were set out to give Jones the win, regardless.

Back