Five round fights are unfair to the challenger. All fights need to be the same length of time.

Man what? This sounds like yet another Jones is to good let's change mma threads

I was using Jones-Reyes as an example because it was the most recent. But I'm not limiting this critique to him. All champs have this tiny little asterisk in my mind now.

Last edited:
Title fights should definitely be five rounds. Also, many challengers have fought in main events so it's not like training for a five rounder is something completely new to them.

Jones' last 15 fights going back almost ten years were scheduled for five rounds. That's decade of training for nothing other than five rounds. While his challengers train once for five rounds in a title eliminator? It's so lopsided.

Well, if the fight had ended after the third round, Reyes would have won a split decision.

You sure of that? Are you assuming the judges would score those rounds the same way knowing it was a three round fight?

MLB reg season series is usually 3 or 4 games.

DS best of 5

CS/WS Best of 7.

MMA isn't unique

Ive got mixed feelings and have said the same things before.

The sport is 3 round fights, until it’s the biggest fight of your life. Suddenly the rules and tactics have changed. As a sport, it’s fucked imo

But it’s also prize fighting. It’s a fight show. We want to see the long fights between greats

Yeah, but now that there are fight cards practically every weekend and all main events are 5 rounds with rare exceptions, pretty much anyone getting a title shot will have probably have at least main evented a Fight Night.

I was using Jones-Reyes as an example because it was the most recent. But I'm not limiting this critique to him. All champs have this tiny little asterisk in my mind now.
Then your mind is fucking broken.

Don’t give anybody a title shot unless they’ve been booked in a five round fight.

That must be why Diaz beat Connor the first time around...he had more 5 round experience......duh!

Jones' last 15 fights going back almost ten years were scheduled for five rounds. That's decade of training for nothing other than five rounds. While his challengers train once for five rounds in a title eliminator? It's so lopsided.

Putting Jones aside, champions deserve home-court advantage imho. Championship fights should also minimize uncertainty in the result. I can see why some would like them all to be the same time length though but overall I prefer championship fights being longer.

You sure of that? Are you assuming the judges would score those rounds the same way knowing it was a three round fight?

Well, no. I can't really predict what would have happened under those circumstances, no one can. Especially considering Texas' lack of big fight experience and outdated scoring criteria.

But under the fight that took place, the judges had Reyes' winning a split decision after three rounds had been completed.

I will say though that I agree with you in that Reyes not winning THAT fight after three rounds would have been the most egregious robbery that I would have personally ever seen.

If all fights become 5 rounds I'd likely stop watching MMA. The pacing of the cards would be horrendous.
Imagine every WMMA fight being 5 rounds when the 3 round clinch fall on the ground grindathons decisions are already mindnumbing enough...
a5o98zG_700bwp.webp

5x5 rounds give an unfair cardio advantage to the champion.

Jon Jones is the supreme example. He has massive almost unmatched experience in 5 round fights while most of his challengers have little if any. He's been training non-stop for five round fights for a decade.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

Jon Jones is the supreme example. He has massive almost unmatched experience in 5 round fights while most of his challengers have little if any. He's been training non-stop for five round fights for a decade.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

Man what? This sounds like yet another Jones is to good let's change mma threads

Nailed it! ..

Championship rounds separate the strong from the weak...it necessary as both champion and challenger can equally take advantage if need be in the last two rounds...its open to both sides..

Also all main events are 5 rounds..challengers coming up if smart should look to have more then one headliner fight leading up to there title shot..that way preparing or fighting 5 rounds isnt such a task coming up to your title shot.. Everyone rushes into the title shot now and days and pay for it

Last edited:
jones haters have lost their minds
now they want to change the rules
<JonesDXSuckIt>

Wrong sport to compare to.

Sanctioned combat sports trace back to boxing. They've always had extra rounds for championship fights. Back in the 70s, it was 15 rounds while it is 12 rounds now.

Many non-title fights are 10 round or even less. It's traditional. You can disagree with it, but using the Super Bowl is not a good argument.

If you believe that you are talented enough to be a champion, then you should (1) always train for 6 rounds and (2) always make championship weight. There is no good reason not to.

How did Jones ever win his 1st championship by this logic?

No, you are wrong.
Fighters know the rules and know how long a fight could be.
A fighter have NO exuses for not having cardio, he has no one to blame, only himself.
I was a fighter and i would never blame someone else for me don't being able to go 5 rounds.
The Champion having 5 rounds experience is not unfair. Its like literally saying having more experience is unfair. wtf.... so being young, so being bigger... no no and no, having more experience is not unfair.

However, Reyes won the fight and jones is on a 2 losing streak.

Wtf

who is stopping any fighter from training for 5 round fights?

That's kind of the point.

Champs have it hard enough being the target of the entire division and taking on the strongest challenger every time, they should have to clearly beat the champ over five rounds.

Back