Five round fights are unfair to the challenger. All fights need to be the same length of time.

Amazingly boxing has been like that forever and no one cares. You start with 4 rounders then do 6, 8 and 10's and title fights are 12's.

Deontay Wilder for example, his 2nd 12 round fight was when he beat Bermane Stiverne the first time to win the WBC title. It went 12 rounds. His previous 12 round fight lasted 70 seconds and he'd never gone past the 4th round in his first 32 fights.

So if boxing is anything to go by, not fighting for 5 rounds in MMA before a title fight isn't that big a deal.
True, but in boxing you're brought up slowly, incrementally. There's a noticeable difference from 15 to 25 minutes compared to 30 to 36 minutes. You get to experience 4 rounds, 6, 8, and 10, and you get to do it multiple times against different types of opponents.

A better grooming process which allows for an official title eliminator being 5 rounds would be ideal but probably not practical. Boxing has a much better grooming process.

Yeah. And going by the scorecard he would've lost a split decision when it should've been a clear UD for Reyes. But even then, if it were a three round fight I think the judges were set out to give Jones the win, regardless.

I think so too. Hell, one judge did give Jones 2 out of 3!

I see TS point, but the way to fix this is to have more 5 round non-title fights, so contenders can gain the experience before fighting for a title.

True, but in boxing you're brought up slowly, incrementally. There's a noticeable difference from 15 to 25 minutes compared to 30 to 36 minutes. You get to experience 4 rounds, 6, 8, and 10, and you get to do it multiple times against different types of opponents.

Yes but Wilder had never actually gone 12 minutes before he had to go for the full 36 minutes to win the WBC title. So there's no way of knowing if the 6, 8 or 10 round fights he'd had prepared him in any way as he'd never come out to fight a 5th round in his first 32 fights.

In MMA if your in the top 10 or approaching it you should be training to go for 5 rounds and not for 3 rounds. I can't see any downside in preparing for a 5 round fight over a 3 round fight. If you're prepared to for 5 then you can go harder in a 3 rounder than if you prepared to go for 3. More stamina and gas tank in MMA is always better than less.

Yes but Wilder had never actually gone 12 minutes before he had to go for the full 36 minutes to win the WBC title. So there's no way of knowing if the 6, 8 or 10 round fights he'd had prepared him in any way as he'd never come out to fight a 5th round in his first 32 fights.

In MMA if your in the top 10 or approaching it you should be training to go for 5 rounds and not for 3 rounds. I can't see any downside in preparing for a 5 round fight over a 3 round fight. If you're prepared to for 5 then you can go harder in a 3 rounder than if you prepared to go for 3. More stamina and gas tank in MMA is always better than less.
Yes, but at least the opportunity existed for Wilder, he just never took it lol. I think some camps believe that training for 3 rounds is different since you have to be more aggressive in a shorter fight whereas a 5 round fight requires more pacing. I do think always training for additional rounds should be beneficial so I do agree with you on that one. But injuries and other circumstances do have to be taken into consideration.

I see TS point, but the way to fix this is to have more 5 round non-title fights, so contenders can gain the experience before fighting for a title.

Fight Night main events are all 5 round so a lot of fighters have had a 5 round fight before a title fight (but clearly not all of them).
They should make the co-mains 5 rounders too and drop 1 fight from the prelims.

Yes, but at least the opportunity existed for Wilder, he just never took it lol. I think some camps believe that training for 3 rounds is different since you have to be more aggressive in a shorter fight whereas a 5 round fight requires more pacing. I do think always training for additional rounds should be beneficial so I do agree with you on that one. But injuries and other circumstances do have to be taken into consideration.

Aggression is a mindset though. Plenty of fighters gas out in 3 rounders so I'm not sure MMA camps take the stamina side of training seriously or it's the pacing that they can't do.

In a track race you have to pace yourself for anything over 400m and 45s (and even then they still pace themselves a bit), there's a very small limit to the amount of anaerobic exercise anyone can do.

The 10,000m World record is 26:17.53. Kenenisa Bekele who holds it also held the 5k record at 12:37.35 at the same time. And he doubled up to win the 10k and 5k Olympic gold in Beijing 2008. Mo Farah then did the same thing in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics winning gold in both the 5 k and 10k races.

So it appears in other sports that preparing to go for 25 minutes doesn't really hurt you when you have to go for closer to 15 minutes.

I mean if that's the case you should really do away with belts too.

carrying those things around all day, all that extra weight, just added strength training and overall strength advantage to the champ, especially those champ champs. that shit just unfair.

That’s how it is in boxing. Championship bouts have more rounds too. It’s not the champs problem that someone didn’t train as hard as they did.

It wasn’t a problem for Usman.

Ya.......wrestlers getting punched in the face is unfair. They just wanna wrestle and hold people down why should they get punched and kicked in the face in the process?

They're championship rounds, comes with the territory of being a champion.

Besides, doesn't the UFC put on 5 round main events now?

If you're working your way up to fighting for the title, you'll have some experience fighting for 25 minutes.

If you want to be a champion in the UFC you should train for 5 round fights.

If it takes years of training to last 5 rounds, you should be training for 5 rounds even when you are fighting 3 rounds.

Either way, all fights should be 20 minutes long, no rounds, no breaks.

I mean MMA is even more unfair to the challenger because there are an uneven number of rounds. In MMA you have 3 or 5 rounds to reduce the number of draws. In addition, you get 10 and 12 round fights, so championship rounds aren't so drastically different from non-champ fights.

I'd like to see MMA go to 6 rounds of 3 minutes a piece for normal fights, and 8 rounds of 3 minutes a piece for champinship fights. That would allow for more draws, because there should be more draws. It would also reduce the ratio of round differential from 60% to 75%. All of this would make it more difficult for champions to defend their belts via decision.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

thats his fault, you should be training your stamina for 5 rounds

Title fights should definitely be five rounds. Also, many challengers have fought in main events so it's not like training for a five rounder is something completely new to them.
Where do you get this logic?

Let's see you go 5 rounds... armchair journalism @ it's worst.<Varys01>

Back