Five round fights are unfair to the challenger. All fights need to be the same length of time.

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
5x5 rounds give an unfair cardio advantage to the champion.

Jon Jones is the supreme example. He has massive almost unmatched experience in 5 round fights while most of his challengers have little if any. He's been training non-stop for five round fights for a decade.

Now take Dominic Reyes. For most of his career he had been training for 3 round fights. Jones was his first five round fight that actually went five rounds. Of course he gassed in the championship rounds. It was literally his first time!

This discrepancy has really changed my outlook on champions (not just Jones). They have an unfair advantage especially if they have a long reign. They are training under different rules against a challenger who is often brand new to the rules.

All fights need to be the same length of time. There aren't extra quarters in the Superbowl.

Man what? This sounds like yet another Jones is to good let's change mma threads

Title fights should definitely be five rounds. Also, many challengers have fought in main events so it's not like training for a five rounder is something completely new to them.

Could be worse the champ might have to sustain more damage in the same amount of fights.
And most important, never just train for three rounds.

Imagine how unfair it was facing gsp then, considering he never finished any of his championship fights?

Jones has already lost at least two fights and was gifted the decision by the refs. Doesn't matter how many rounds there are, the judges have shown on multiple occasions that you can't just beat Jones to win the title, you have to finish him.

Ive got mixed feelings and have said the same things before.

The sport is 3 round fights, until it’s the biggest fight of your life. Suddenly the rules and tactics have changed. As a sport, it’s fucked imo

But it’s also prize fighting. It’s a fight show. We want to see the long fights between greats

If you cant fight hard for 5 rounds you dont deserve to be champion

They have months to prepare for these 5 round fights. It's not like they are told they are doing 2 extra rounds on a week's notice.

6 min, 3 rds for non title 5 rds for title 18 min and 30 min fights

boxing is 27-36 min
pride was 20 min

if you cant fight hard for more than 15 min with breaks in between rds you got a cardio problem

Jones has already lost at least two fights and was gifted the decision by the refs. Doesn't matter how many rounds there are, the judges have shown on multiple occasions that you can't just beat Jones to win the title, you have to finish him.

You're probably right but can you imagine if that fight had ended with the third round and they had awarded Jones the win? It would set a very high standard for robberies.

They have months to prepare for these 5 round fights. It's not like they are told they are doing 2 extra rounds on a week's notice.
Zabit was expected to, and then sherdog collectively attacked him for not agreeing to it.

A champion is capable of fighting in the championship rounds.

To beat the champion, you need to prove you are the champion. So I do not see it as being unfair.

See, I would agree with you a lot more if even non-title main event fights weren't five rounds like they once were. Generally speaking, you get the opportunity as the challenger, to at least train for one five rounder before your championship fight, because you probably main evented some card before that. In Reyes' case, this came against Weidman. So, while he didn't have nearly the amount of vaunted championship level fight experience that Jones had, he did have the opportunity to work the bugs out. This is why we want Zabit in a five rounder before a title shot is on the table.

I'll give some ground though, because I want all co-main events to be five rounds as well. I believe that allows the opportunity for high level fighters to gain much needed five round experience, and it's a good idea.

I just can't watch these low level WMMA fights and sloppy heavyweight brawls for five rounds, multiple times a night though man. I just can't do it lol.

You're probably right but can you imagine if that fight had ended with the third round and they had awarded Jones the win? It would set a very high standard for robberies.

Well, if the fight had ended after the third round, Reyes would have won a split decision.

The sport is 3 round fights, until it’s the biggest fight of your life. Suddenly the rules and tactics have changed. As a sport, it’s fucked imo

Amazingly boxing has been like that forever and no one cares. You start with 4 rounders then do 6, 8 and 10's and title fights are 12's.

Deontay Wilder for example, his 2nd 12 round fight was when he beat Bermane Stiverne the first time to win the WBC title. It went 12 rounds. His previous 12 round fight lasted 70 seconds and he'd never gone past the 4th round in his first 32 fights.

So if boxing is anything to go by, not fighting for 5 rounds in MMA before a title fight isn't that big a deal.

He was a challenger once upon a time, was that unfair? He won it anyway...

I agree make all fights 5 rounders!

That what you were saying right ts?

Back