Elon Musk criticizes Covid Tests

Being concerned about the accuracy of the COVID test isn't anything new I believe. One of the more famous and humorous incidences came from a leader out of Africa. He reportedly tested some fruit for COVID. The fruit came back positive for the virus.

Faulty coronavirus kits suspected as goat and fruit test positive in Tanzania

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/...d-as-goat-and-fruit-test-positive-in-tanzania

It isn't any secrete I believe that a majority of people that test positive for the COVID virus have no symptoms of the disease. It reminds me a bit of TB bacteria testing and disease symptoms. I've read a leading researcher for TB write that probably everyone could test positive for TB. What matters though is if one experiences TB symptoms or as health authorities say, if the patient has active TB.

It is kind of odd in a way, with the way COVID is reported in the press, in that in todays world a couple million people die each year from active TB.

The inventor of the PCR test himself, Kary Mullis, said that the test is only useful to confirm a diagnoses for a infection made by a doctor based on the symptoms exhibited by a patient.
So yeah, that's garbage science. People could also flip a coin to get the same results.

why are they even available? sounds like it can artificially skewer the numbers if theyre so unreliable.

The rapid test serves a purpose. Not a great one but it's better than waiting a few days. A positive is a positive, its the false negatives that are bullshit.

The inventor of the PCR test himself, Kary Mullis, said that the test is only useful to confirm a diagnoses for a infection made by a doctor based on the symptoms exhibited by a patient.
So yeah, that's garbage science. People could also flip a coin to get the same results.

Not really but I get your hyperbole

firstly, I want to apologize if it seems like I was trying to offend you or undermine, your job. I wasnt

secondly, so you really think he's willing to let employees die for profit motive? Because I doubt that.

No offense taken

The mortality rate for Covid is still quite low, and Tesla benefits from a largely young workforce, so his employees are not the target group that requires protection against Covid. I'm sure that's how he sees it. There is also enough literature and medical expert opinion that questions the effectiveness of quarantine or that put into question the cost-benefit analysis of lockdowns and quarantining for him to get behind it and say "look, I'm right"; even if it is contested. I have no doubt he thinks about the health risks of his employees but seeing how he has managed his workforce before, he doesn't really take into considering the effects it would have on his employees' personal lives. So he doesn't really think in terms of their loved ones who could he at risk. For him, loss of productivity at the scale of what it could be is not justifiable.

Case in point, I worked in delivery. Our end of quarters were absolutely brutal. I would come in at 7am at the latest, work without any breaks until 11pm to 1am, go home, sleep, back at work at 7 every day of the week. You do this for 3-4 weeks every 3 months. So 1 of 3 months was like this, and the holidays coincided with an end of quarter. I barely saw my kids. It would take at least a week to recover from the month madness, not to mention the cumulative toll it would have on my mental health over time even when it wasn't end of quarter. I was always tired, and my wife complained of my absent mindedness or just not really being present. Now, if you're fresh out of school and you want to use your talents to save the world, working those kind of hours won't have the same effect as those like me who have a family. But where I worked the burnout rate was still high among single people with no family at home. We would always get these emails from Elon saying he understands the sacrifices we make but that this is the most important quarter and we absolutely need to deliver results because it's a David vs Goliath battle and bla bla bla. We bought it for the first couple of quarters but then it became a joke among us. Every quarter was "the most crucial one in Tesla history".

I eventually left and my life has been lifted ever since. Just to give you an idea of how bad it was for me, I was diagnosed with cancer in November 2017 and with that came that shock and trauma of not knowing what was going to happen. The first time I was able to smile was when my doctor said "ok so we will put you on a leave of absence from work for 3 months and reassess, is that ok with you?". I felt this enormous weight lifted off my shoulders and I was happy for the rest of the day. I still didn't know how bad my cancer was, many signs pointed to the fact that my prognosis wasn't good due to the scans, but I still felt that high I hadn't felt in a long time. I ended up getting a different diagnosis than what the doctors thought it was and I went from 0% chance of making it to 80% and I survived. I won't tell you what happened when I went back to work cause that's another novel in itself, but it caused me to leave.

My point is, Elon is not the evil money grabbing capitalist some think he is. I think he is genuinely interested in saving the world and using private industry to inspire people and give them hope. But in doing so he uses a utilitarian approach to get to those ends, and, for him, tremendous sacrifice needs to be made. He certainly makes them. The guy works like a dog and has no other part to his life other than work. He barely sleeps. But his expectations on others are extreme and borderline abusive. He's probably not thinking that far ahead into how questioning public health measures could affect the immeasurable amount of lives affected by people not self quarantining if they test positive. It would be bad for his business. Loss of productivity means fewer electric cars on the road. Fewer electric cars on the road means more gas powered cars on the road and more pollution. Pollution = more death, probably more deaths than my employees contracting Covid. Therefore, these measures are bad.

I guess he's just not aware of his biases in his calculations.

I took the test and came back pregnant.

Elon Musk is like a high functioning idiot. Instead of actually examining the specificity and sensitivity of the tests and directly contacting the scientists, he uses anecdotal data with an n of one (useless in any statistical analysis) and posts on twitter. Further, as have been stated the rapid antigen tests are notorously unreliable, which is why hospitals are using lab PCR tests, not quick antigen tests. PCR test have around a 93-98% sensitivity rate (meaning rate of correct positive diagnosis) where the test he took has around 60%. This is common knowledge and freely avaliable. Does he not know this? Why is he using his giant platform to do this?

More gems:

Coronavirus-Elon-Musk.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F5bdf6c47-5929-473b-8019-dfdf36088097.png

Oh and then all of the sudden changed his tune and wanted praise for sending out ventilators (which he took donations for btw):
https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F5647dcd4-2b81-46df-8e6d-8b3ba1298828.png

Surprise, turned out they were CPAP and BiPAP machines and not vents...

Coronavirus: Elon Must defends sending BiPAP machines to New York hospitals
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-a9446936.html

Last edited:
The antigen tests can react to seasonal coronavirus antibodies. It's not impossible to test positive if you had a cold last winter who happened to be caused by one. The virus also replicates exponentially, there are only a few hours separating a negative test from a positive test - the first test is negative because there's very little viral load but the second one finds the virus after it has multiplied exponentially and is now above the detection threshold. So if he had two negative tests followed by two positive ones, that would be the pattern of a genuine infection and the rapid test did its' job of picking it up before he can spread the virus to others.

Guy I work with had the same thing. Negative test, then positive.

Elon Musk is like a high functioning idiot. Instead of actually examining the specificity and sensitivity of the tests and directly contacting the scientists, he uses anecdotal data with an n of one (useless in any statistical analysis) and posts on twitter. Further, as have been stated the rapid antigen tests are notorously unreliable, which is why hospitals are using lab PCR tests, not quick antigen tests. PCR test have around a 93-98% sensitivity rate (meaning rate of correct positive diagnosis) where the test he took has around 60%. This is common knowledge and freely avaliable. Does he not know this? Why is he using his giant platform to do this?

More gems:

Coronavirus-Elon-Musk.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F5bdf6c47-5929-473b-8019-dfdf36088097.png

Oh and then all of the sudden changed his tune and wanted praise for sending out ventilators (which he took donations for btw):
https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F5647dcd4-2b81-46df-8e6d-8b3ba1298828.png

Surprise, turned out they were CPAP and BiPAP machines and not vents...

Coronavirus: Elon Must defends sending BiPAP machines to New York hospitals
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-a9446936.html
No it’s reasonable to be annoyed at being tested by medical professionals and having concurrent tests come up with different results.

lol the dogwhistled Musk bois spreading his name for attention once again while he claims some pseudoscience expertise base on criticizing someone else and little more.

This same dipshit claimed children were immune and that cases would be gone by now lol. He might literally be the most evil person of influence in America today in the level of fake nonsense he gets to spew that influences society and makes news.

No it’s reasonable to be annoyed at being tested by medical professionals and having concurrent tests come up with different results.

That's because the purpose of rapid, cheap antigen tests is mass scale use to pick up on people who are transmitting the virus and making sure they stay home. It's not meant to the be the best test, that's PCR but it's a slow test that needs a lab, a professional, and if the results come too late it's no longer actionable.

Musk is a fucking imbecile. He shares a lot with Trump and I will never understand why so many people obsess over him.

That's because the purpose of rapid, cheap antigen tests is mass scale use to pick up on people who are transmitting the virus and making sure they stay home. It's not meant to the be the best test, that's PCR but it's a slow test that needs a lab, a professional, and if the results come too late it's no longer actionable.

They probably shouldn’t be used.

Musk is a fucking imbecile. He shares a lot with Trump and I will never understand why so many people obsess over him.
Because people are fucking imbeciles and the media LOVES people like him and Trump. They are the perfect combo of egomaniacal and shameless to create bombastic soundbites.

Completely ignored what I said. He's using a non standard antigen test that has known low sensitivity.

musk is a legit moron. not based on this stupid statement, just overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back