geo-metro-470-1008.jpg

still a lightweight 3-banger commuter
side by side seating with more hatchback cargo room
cheaper with parts available
manual
4 wheels
rad 90's styling
40+mpg

You can add the option to make your Elio an internet hotspot. The person in the backseat has a power outlet to plug into and can be on their laptop for the duration of any drive with perfect internet access and plenty of power to keep the laptop charged.

Also, it has all this too:

The Elio “E-Live” Internet Vehicle:
Empowering drivers with Internet-connected tools on their own terms

The E-live platform is sure to evolve over time. After all, technology improves quickly. But, here are just a few of the options we are likely to offer at launch.

E-Secure-- The Elio security system will allow consumers to remotely lock, locate and inspect the environment around their vehicle. The system will allow the consumer to visually inspect the vehicle surroundings via an optional camera, this can be accomplished remotely via iPhone or iPad.

E-Vision—Utilizing an iPad Mini, the E-Vision turns the iPad Mini into a complete back up and driving camera system, allowing the driver to see a full 180 degrees to the side and rear of the vehicle.

E-Navigate---Utilizing and iPad Mini or IPhone, the E-Navigate system allows consumers to use the latest navigation system, with updates.

E-Audio—The E-Audio application allows the consumer to build a customized entertainment interface and to select their favorite music providers.

E-Tools—E-Tools allows consumers to select a wide variety of driving, business and productivity apps. From tracking miles for taxes to organizing travel data for expense reports, E-Tools offers all of the best business and personal applications.

E-Doctor—E-Doctor is a series of diagnostic and maintenance applications that are integrated into the sensor system. From tracking RPM’S, oil to tire pressure to much more, this system will help the consumer keep their Elio healthy.

Of course, that’s just the beginning. Like we said…technology moves quickly. That’s why we made the platform flexible enough to add new features and the latest technology upgrades. Not only does it evolve as technology evolves, it can evolve as your lifestyle evolves too. We’re excited to bring this technology to market and can’t wait to see what the engineering team comes up with next.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=9f0d8c9c43

Obviously it's not meant to drive through deep snow.

Thats why. The video didnt show it driving through actual snowy conditions. It shows it driving on treated roads. I oftenly dont get that luxury commuting in the winter.

Thats why. The video didnt show it driving through actual snowy conditions. It shows it driving on treated roads. I oftenly dont get that luxury commuting in the winter.

I wouldn't hold it against it if it couldn't, but it may still be able to make it through light snow (more than the video) similar to a Focus or Civic or something of that nature.

But that's why they were calling this the "and" vehicle. It's so cheap and the insurance is so cheap, you can keep it in addition to your other vehicle. Perhaps use it in the spring/summer/fall for everything that doesn't involve hauling anything or needing room for more than 1 extra person (2 people total).

It looks like a good grocery getter, as long as you're not buying more than a weeks worth of stuff. Though, if you did, you could stack it in the backseat and rear floorboard and have room (stack floor to ceiling).

You wont. As of right now, this car is fully legal without anything more than a basic license in at least 45 states. Possibly more, but the last I heard was 45. But that was several months ago. The Elio company is hard at work and has said they are close to being legal with a basic license in all 50 states. No helmet or motorcycle license necessary.

It has a mild-steel alloy on the outside of the vehicle to absorb impact, and the shell/frame of the vehicle is a super hardened alloy to prevent crushing (stronger than what's in most cars). It also comes with full seatbelts and front and side airbags.

It also has a 5 Star Crash Rating in every single category. Literally can't beat that.

No worries.

Yeah, I'm reading that people shouldn't need a motorcycle license for it. However, because it has 3 wheels I wonder if I could get the insurance people to class it as a motorcycle, insurance is soo much cheaper for a bike.

And as far as quality I meant more in terms of reliability and dependability. I currently have a smart car. I've had it for over 4 years and I love it. It's never done me wrong, and still runs great at over 70,000 miles on it.

I think I'd be down for getting it in addition to my smart car, but replacing it would worry me a bit.

This is an awesome car nonetheless, I'm all about small cars and motorcycles, and this fits right in that category.

I also like having a vehicle that you don't see everyday. When I got my first motorcycle I could've gotten a Honda or Suzuki, but I got a hyosung instead and it was awesome cause no one else had it.

My dream car for many years now has been a Carver One. But since they don't make them anymore and they were only in Europe, that was never gonna happen. This is a good alternative.

I'm getting a green one. 0 fucks given about how ugly it is.

Edit: People still grocery shop?

Do you even Amazon Fresh, bro?

Good thing they made it as ugly as possible.

I'd buy it, but then again I'm a cheap bastard and I don't give a fuck about what I'm seen driving.

I bookmarked this and will seriously consider one when I'm looking to buy a vehicle.

Yeah, I'm reading that people shouldn't need a motorcycle license for it. However, because it has 3 wheels I wonder if I could get the insurance people to class it as a motorcycle, insurance is soo much cheaper for a bike.

I was reading somewhere that we should be able to get motorcycle insurance on it. The federal government considers anything with less that 4 wheels a motorcycle, so unless they change that to make extra money (which those fucks probably will) we should be able to. I freaking hope so. That'd make this little car that much more awesome.

And as far as quality I meant more in terms of reliability and dependability. I currently have a smart car. I've had it for over 4 years and I love it. It's never done me wrong, and still runs great at over 70,000 miles on it.

Well, it's a German made engine. Germans are known for making really high quality stuff. Even better, the same company that makes the Bugatti Veyron engine is making this engine, so you know it's going to be really good quality and reliable.

I also just watched a video where the CEO said that the engine makers left a special port on the engine open in case anyone wants to add a turbo down the road. I'd consider it as long as it didn't completely destroy the gas mileage.

When I get this car, I'm gonna buy a top-of-the-line radar detector and then any long distance driving I do, I'll probably go for like 85-90mph on the long open stretches. I could probably still get at least 500 miles out of a tank at that speed. As long as no cops catch me, would be awesome as shit. I could drive to LA or LV in no time at all doing that. :icon_surp

I'm getting a green one.

I love the green one. It's my second favorite color they offer. I honestly have to say though that at this point, the Orange one is for me. If I can't have a Viper TA, then goddammit, an Orange Elio will have to suffice. :icon_chee

That only looks like there is enough room for 1 person up front and 1 in the back seat. Plus it has a non existant trunk. It's a nice concept but not very practical for everyday use.

That only looks like there is enough room for 1 person up front and 1 in the back seat. Plus it has a non existant trunk. It's a nice concept but not very practical for everyday use.

Correct. 1 in front and 1 in back. However, 6'5" people have sat in both front and back and said there's plenty of room.

The trunk is roughly 25"x15"x10" but the back seat folds down to add more space. In that case, you can fit a full size carry-on suitcase. But if you leave the back seat upright, have no rear passanger, you can stack groceries up in the back seat and actually get a weeks worth, or more (if you pack it right).

This thing is meant to be an ultra cheap gas saver to get you to and from anywhere you want to go. But it's also so cheap that it allows you to own more than just one vehicle. So if you need to shop for an entire month of groceries, take another car.

But for most situations that down involve hauling to transporting (more than one person) it gets extremely high marks.

Also, a lot pf people 50+ years of age, all the way to mid-80s gave it positive remarks at an autoshow (after sitting in it and getting to look it over)

The engine is made in Germany by the same makers of the Bugatti Veyron engine.

So it's got a Volkswagen engine. Not that that's a bad thing, but lets not try and oversell it.

I think they should give a free Fedora with this car

Looks pretty solid for a single person's city living but once you add a family, it's a no go.

Unless you and the wife and kid never go anywhere together...on 2nd thought, I love it!

It's a huge piece of shit and has a Geo Metro engine. Would not buy. Also it's considered a motorcycle so you have to wear a helmet.

Interesting I might would buy one for around town and day trips.

Owning this in addition to another vehicle with the hopes of "saving money" is absolutely lol worthy.

It is if your single. If you have a family, then get a minivan.

Back