Elio - 84 MPG - Only $7,450 - Coming 2019....hopefully

The release date for this goddamn thing keeps getting pushed back and pushed back and pushed back (because of a lack of funding), but now that overstock.com put a couple million into it, it may finally be moving forward for a late 2019 release. (Elio says they're on track to hit that date)

Or it'll get delayed another 10-15 months.....again.

Damn, I've been seriously wanting one of these since 2015 when I first discovered it, but due to the massive delays I sort of lost interest. But now that things seem to actually be moving again (albeit very, very slowly) perhaps there's an iota of hope this thing will actually hit its 2019 release date? I hope so. It's small and strange looking, but it's also cool as hell.

Or it could continue being basically vaporware until Elio Motors itself goes under. Who knows. It's hard to remain optimistic, but I figured I might as well bump this thread in order to update anyone who was interested.

I remember this YEARS ago when I went to the Lobster fest in San Pedro, California I think it was 2011 and they had one there

This is never going to be released ever, its been too long probably financial issues and the car breaks down

its just another Dae Woo

Sad they probably lost a lot of money.

here is a guy driving one from a few years back

I would never buy one because I dont like people staring at me, people will be looking at you at every stop when you drive because they are curious this I like my privacy

Probably better than this ELO stuff.
It was a great concept and I was down to buy one. There has been too many delays though at this point though and the odds of it actually coming to market are very slim.
I highly doubt it would have been popular in the US anyways. People are buying SUV's, no one is buying cars anymore.

Hitting a hard pack snowdrift in that thing would be a death sentence. Fuuuuuuck that.

Its not gonna happen. Taking way to long to get to market and with the way big companies are going electric, 84 mpg won't mean shit.

With all the delays, I admit, any hope I had is pretty much shot. I really don't have any faith in their "Late 2019" date.

However if it does come to market, I'll gladly take 84mpg with a nearly 700 mile range over an expensive electric that'll struggle to net me a 200 mile range (with a 45 minute - 5 hour recharge time).

Though when they finally make an electric car with a 1000 mile range and sub 30 minute charging stations, I'm buying. (Hoping Tesla continues to improve and innovate. Their Model 3 was a hot mess)

I would never buy one because I dont like people staring at me, people will be looking at you at every stop when you drive because they are curious this I like my privacy

I agree, I hate that. However, that's where tint comes in. And with this legally qualifying as a motorcycle, I don't think it falls under the same tint restrictions as cars. So I'll gladly put limo tint on the small backseat windows, maybe 60 on the front side windows, and some 70 on the windshield. It'll make the interior a hell of a lot darker (to see into) while still allowing the driver to see out easily at night.

those numbers look impressive and that car is affordable af. it will probably be 86'd by big oil in the U.S. and other industries that stand to lose a lot money.

those numbers look impressive and that car is affordable af. it will probably be 86'd by big oil in the U.S. and other industries that stand to lose a lot money.

Maybe, but I'm wondering with this being an "AND" vehicle (not meant to replace your truck, SUV, van, or anything other than your old clunker) if big oil will simply ignore it. It's literally just meant to be a single person daily driver to get you to and from work, and that's it. Yeah, you can use it to transport a passenger and drive long distances (like for vacation - with limited luggage) but for the most part it wont affect trucks, SUVs, vans, etc, as there are needs for those that an Elio can't fill.

That is, if it gets here before 2030 - When a majority of vehicles produced will be fully electric.

Back