Edgar Vs Aldo (stand up) Who has the edge? Who wins?

^ good kickboxing beats good boxing

so how do you explain cerrone vs diaz?

or hunt vs kongo?

edit: or actually hunts whole career seeing how hes little more than a boxer whos beat many noted kick boxers in k-1

Last edited:
8 limbs with a ground game will beat a 2 fisted boxer

I prefer a great boxer over a great MT fighter tbh

anyway
i could see ths happening to frankie
jose-aldo_rolando-perez.gif

There are no such general rules in fighting, it's about the person, not the style. Aldo is Aldo, he's being picked a lot here because of HOW he does what he does, not merely what he does.

i picked aldo because he is a more well rounded fighter than frankie , not because of his fighting style , i like frankie , but his style hasnt changed since his battles with maynard , guys have figured it out and a kicking game throws frankie off , just my opinion ,

'sinister' we all know you are a boxing guy and want to see pure boxing dominate in mma , but its time to face the facts that a leg is longer than an arm , and we are just now starting to see good kickers who can box in mma , and yes they will pick apart a good boxer .

this is just my opinion with all due respect , of coarse

and yes they will pick apart a good boxer .

Then again how do you explain fights like cerrone vs diaz? Cerrone is even more decorated in kickboxing than diaz is in his art and you could barely even call diaz's boxing "good."

Most of these kickboxers in MMA have train boxing on the side, just as the guys who are primarily boxers have trained kickboxing on the side.

Aldo isn't a pure MT guy and Edgar isn't a pure boxer, and neither of them would do shit in Lumpinee or MGM.

The only way we can solve this is to take two BJJ black belt division 1 wrestlers, train one totally in MT and one totally in boxing then throw them together. And that will never happen because both will then be destroyed by guys who do both. So it's a good time to dead the entire dumb debate. Shogun was a champion with his Muay Thai just like Dos Santos was a champion with his boxing. It's how the fighter develops his overall game. That's what makes MMA exciting.

So, can we go back to Edgar vs Aldo right now?

Then again how do you explain fights like cerrone vs diaz? Cerrone is even more decorated in kickboxing than diaz is in his art and you could barely even call diaz's boxing "good."

"legs" i honestly cant explain that fight , i lost 100 bucks on that fight , cerrone had the tools to beat diaz , he should have put a likkin on him .

i think it wasnt diaz' boxing that beat cerrone , he mentally broke down diaz in the first minute , he got into his head and that was it .

you are a kicking guy "legs " you know what i mean , the ufc is just starting to get mma kickboxers , im not talking about the wrestler who took up muay thai for a bit or the muay thai guy who cant wrestle , im talking about guys who have skills to fight a farther distance , he distance that will fuck up a boxers style .

ps . this has nothing to do with boxing vs kickboxing or any style vs the other , this is about who has the better skillset aldo or frankie edgar

i picked aldo because he is a more well rounded fighter than frankie , not because of his fighting style , i like frankie , but his style hasnt changed since his battles with maynard , guys have figured it out and a kicking game throws frankie off , just my opinion ,

'sinister' we all know you are a boxing guy and want to see pure boxing dominate in mma , but its time to face the facts that a leg is longer than an arm , and we are just now starting to see good kickers who can box in mma , and yes they will pick apart a good boxer .

this is just my opinion with all due respect , of coarse

Come on now, you should know better than to come at me with some ignorant crap like this. I have more than an ample History with Muay Thai, AND grappling arts. Never once have I said I wanted to "see Boxing dominate" blah blah blah. Boxing and kicking is more than about the length of the limbs, by your rationale there's no way a shorter armed boxer could ever hope to beat a longer-armed boxer, which is absurd. Lots of more well-rounded fighters lose to less well-rounded fighters as well. Uriah Faber was much more well-rounded a fighter than Mike Brown, and lost to him twice.

Like you said, this fight is about HOW the guys fight with their particular skill-sets. Not that one guy does Muay Thai and the other does not (though I'm sure Frankie trains with kicks, and kickers as much as he can, and just had no real aptitude for it). It's just silly to exclaim that any fight is won based on "oh this guy kicks, the other one doesn't have a chance!"

Come on now, you should know better than to come at me with some ignorant crap like this. I have more than an ample History with Muay Thai, AND grappling arts. Never once have I said I wanted to "see Boxing dominate" blah blah blah. Boxing and kicking is more than about the length of the limbs, by your rationale there's no way a shorter armed boxer could ever hope to beat a longer-armed boxer, which is absurd. Lots of more well-rounded fighters lose to less well-rounded fighters as well. Uriah Faber was much more well-rounded a fighter than Mike Brown, and lost to him twice.

Like you said, this fight is about HOW the guys fight with their particular skill-sets. Not that one guy does Muay Thai and the other does not (though I'm sure Frankie trains with kicks, and kickers as much as he can, and just had no real aptitude for it). It's just silly to exclaim that any fight is won based on "oh this guy kicks, the other one doesn't have a chance!"

im not coming at you 'sinister' ,, i respect you alot and have really learned alot from your boxing knowledge ,

i have a special spot in my heart for a kicking game , you have a special spot for boxing , no big deal .

personally i woulnt classify frankie as a great boxer , i always thought of him as a wrestler who can throw good punching combinations,

aldo is a good kicker , not great , but in mma he is top of the heap , he also has good hands , speed and a good ground game , which in my opinion means ,better well rounded

as far as the 8 limbs and the leg being longer than the arm , those are just terms , dont be offended by them ,

you must admit that if roy jones jr could kick like baukaw, now you have an animal .

you must admit that if roy jones jr could kick like baukaw, now you have an animal .

Jose Aldo may be the closest description of this you'd possibly find in MMA.

IMO, I do believe that Jose Aldo is likely the best "all around" striker in mma.

im not coming at you 'sinister' ,, i respect you alot and have really learned alot from your boxing knowledge ,

i have a special spot in my heart for a kicking game , you have a special spot for boxing , no big deal .

personally i woulnt classify frankie as a great boxer , i always thought of him as a wrestler who can throw good punching combinations,

aldo is a good kicker , not great , but in mma he is top of the heap , he also has good hands , speed and a good ground game , which in my opinion means ,better well rounded

as far as the 8 limbs and the leg being longer than the arm , those are just terms , dont be offended by them ,

The difference between us is that you are deeming one is inarguably superior to the other, and I am not. I am deeming it's about the fighter and how each is utilized. I don't think Frankie is a great boxer, either. If I give him a chance in this fight it's because he has a unique way of winning when he's not supposed to, when everyone is POSITIVE he'll lose. But I don't pick him to win, that said, I don't think he'll be a walk, either. When is the last time he was a walk for anyone? And when was the last time he actually fought anyone his own size? This may be a welcome change for him.

That's what I was thinking. If both bring their "A" game I've got Aldo to win as long as cardio isn't an issue.

Edgar strong though and can wrestle. We'll just have to see if he's able to use that wrestling to gas out Aldo.

after watching the maynard fight again, how frankie took all that punishment for almost an entire round by one of the most heavy handed fighters in lw... Id say it either goes to decision or aldo is gonna have to do some massive damage in order to put frankie away...

also frankie has some good takedowns and mixes them well with his boxing.. But aldo has some of the best tdd in the ufc.. damn its gonna be a war..

That's what I was thinking. If both bring their "A" game I've got Aldo to win as long as cardio isn't an issue.

Edgar strong though and can wrestle. We'll just have to see if he's able to use that wrestling to gas out Aldo.

I don't think that Frankie is gonna be able to "gas out" Aldo. He is definitely a strong guy and a good wrestler, but that is nothing new to Aldo as he's faced a couple fighters that were good wrestlers and very strong. I don't think Frankie is any stronger than Mike Brown and he certainly isn't as quick as Uriah. Frankie won't be any bigger than either Mike Brown or Uriah Faber, and Aldo took them apart. Frankie's advantages at 55 are not gonna be there at the lower weight. His quick feet and movement aren't going to be anything Aldo hasn't seen before and won't give him that same "edge" as they did at 55.

IMO, I actually think that Aldo will finish this fight and it won't go the distance. Frankie's style is well suited to Aldo's skillset, it's really a better opponent for Aldo in terms of style than either Florian or Mark Hominick. Just my 2cents, but we will see what happens. Frankie is undoubtedly a game fighter and as tough as they come, still I don't see him going the distance with Aldo.

I think that when Aldo brings his "A game", he is probably the best all around MMA fighter there is.

i gotta go with aldo. hes alot more brutal than frankie and if he catches frankie with a good shot early which he probably will he'll either finish him or slow him down for the rest of the fight. on top of that look what bendo did kicking frankie, aldo will do that just much worse on frankies legs. Frankies gonna get slowed down and beat up.

Aldo beats him easier than people think

Frankie relies too much on his lateral movement and ate roughly ten thousand mid and leg kicks from Henderson without checking or blocking even half of them, caught a few but Aldo retracts his kick far quicker than Benson and doesn't get as lazy with his guard, which is often what allowed Frankie to rush in and score some solid punching combos. and Frankie's finally meeting someone who is as fast if not faster than him, will be more of a change for him than fighting someone his own size. Aldo's fought plenty of guys as big as Frankie, Frankie's never fought someone as fast as Aldo.

think Aldo takes away his lateral movement with leg kicks then counters Edgar's forward rush with a straight right or a knee strike, hurts Edgar, finishes, people remember how good he is.

like Edgar a lot but his skillset doesn't match up well. he'd have to consistently and repeatedly take Aldo down and grind out a wrestling clinic and I don't see it. Aldo's almost impossible to take down and punishes guys for failed attempts

I don't think Frankie will be the bigger man, he just wont be the smaller man; which means his adv in mobility and quickness and agility all lessen. I personally think Kenny florian is actually a better all round striker than Edgar, offensively he is much more diverse and defensively he is much more disciplined.

Personally I think Edgar approach to striking is much more effective than his actual tech; the fact he moves so much and moves away from his opponents is much more a obstacle than his actual offensive/defensively/counter tech.

Edgar isnt really hard to hit...he is hard to hit the way you want to hit him; but he gets hit alot and its his constant movement...even when he is hurt that makes him hard to finish...hard to corner ...hard to effively initiate offense or counter his.

But I don't think his movement agility speed are adv at this weightclass and against this opponent; a stated earlier, hell they didn't work all that well against Benson Henderson a big athletic dynamic hard hitting guy.

Aldo has already faced someone reminiscent of Edgar, urijah faber, Edgar faced someone with comparable physical ability; not skill, and he was decisively beaten. If I am Edgar I pull a Cain..initiate those takedown attempts and then open up with the strikes; if he comes out looking to bang I think Aldo blows his doors off..he has to catch him looking.

so how do you explain cerrone vs diaz?

or hunt vs kongo?

edit: or actually hunts whole career seeing how hes little more than a boxer whos beat many noted kick boxers in k-1

Cerrone just isn't that good. Look what happened when big brother Diaz fought Condit.

Hunt is a kick boxer, and if he was good enough to fight in K1 then why didn't he go into boxing if he was just a boxer? Because he's not good enough at pure boxing. Hunt is far more accomplished in kick boxing than Kongo so he is not only a much better boxer than Kongo is a kick boxer but a better kick boxer too.

I don't agree with the notion that good kickboxing simply beats good boxing. Too many times in MMA have "good kickboxers" been smashed by someone even rudimentary at punching who times them well, much akin to the notion you followed that statement with.

I would dispute they were good kickboxers a lot of the time and besides kickboxing in mma vs. boxing in MMA isn't the whole story when you add TD's and wrestling. Randleman KO's a much better kickboxer and in fact boxer in Crocop because of the TD threat. James Toney gets completely neutralised by a far inferior boxer in Couture because of wrestling. Then you have guys like Condit who because they are just as at home on the ground as their opponent you really get to see what kickboxing vs boxing is. You can't compare the two if other facets of the game aren't equal.

Wait, kicks automatically beat punches/punchers? COME AT ME KLITCHO!!! I'LL KICK YOU!!!

Wait, kicks automatically beat punches/punchers? COME AT ME KLITCHO!!! I'LL KICK YOU!!!

Glad you brought up the Klitschkos as two guys who completely dominate using their reach and range advantage. Guess what massive advantage kicks have over punches? Add in knees too as you have in MT or Kyokushin. Is there any wonder that man mountain Semmy dominated K1 when he could use knees as much as he wanted? He was always a terrible boxer though.

If smaller boxers can't get close to the Klits to inflict damage when they only have their long straight punches to fend off advances imagine if they had a teep/front kick like Semmy? With the two fighters being roughly equal in ability then kicks/knees beat just punches.

Back