Edgar Vs Aldo (stand up) Who has the edge? Who wins?

Frankie Edgar, Aldo is sloppy and relies on his speed to beat his opponent to the strike and his power to do the rest.

Against someone technically sound like Edgar who will counter ever sloppy strike and never let you make a mistake we will Aldo finnaly put to the test. I have good faith that Frankie Edgar will win and prove that the MMA universe still has some form of balance in it.

Edgar is 156/157 lbs and Aldo is 170 lbs. What the fuck are you talking about ???

Your right I forgot Frankie hardly cuts...so one again he is facing a bigger stronger more athletic guy who has good rd defense and kicked..seems like another loss consider how it went last time. And this time the guy has better hands too.

but its time to face the facts that a leg is longer than an arm

Come on P Dog.

What you are saying here is that boxing fans have been living in denial for years, and its time they realized the painfully obvious fact that a "leg is longer than an arm"
No friggin way. I refuse to believe it man. Let me live in my fantasy world where arms are longer than legs.

If this is the case, you should be making millions betting on fights.

This is me, laughing at your ridiculous post. Can you see me laughing? Can you picture it? :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Am i missing something here. Is this a big joke that i dont get?

Jose Aldo is so much better at everything in the stand up, that i dont get how this can be a serious discussion.

Sure Edgar know how to strike. But the difference between the two are very very very big

Aldo. i mean, by far. Frankie does not have some of the best stand up in mma, thats way overboard. posting a ko of maynard does not prove your point.

frankie uses decent head movement and lots of feints, but he basically lost the standup to maynard in the majority of their last fights until maynard gassed himself out going for the finish.

aldo has been dominant in the stand up versus just about every opponent he has faced.

apart from the 1st rounds, edgar outboxed mayanrd. he did in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round of the 2nd fight. and did in the 2nd and at least another round in the 1st fight. the rounds he won,he looks comfortable boxing with the bigger undefeated guy.

he also landed more head shots on bendo in the 2nd fight despite the size comparison. and bendo hardly got on any on him in the 2nd fight.

but aldo has the advantage here. if the aldo that showed up against hominick and ken flo comes, then its a long night for aldo.
but if he comes in tip top shape, its gonna be short night for edgar. and im a big edgar fan, but its a hard fight for him. he has the tools the shock everyone though. we just saw what happened to JDS.

He got knocket down and dominated twise by wrestlers with power, but not great striking. Aldo is a fucking monster with brutal ko power in any punch, kick, knee or elbow.. And he got the striking experience and timing to end it if (when) edgar get rocked and dropped.

i love you guys... but i did not expect this discussion in this forum.

you are all better then this.

Your right I forgot Frankie hardly cuts...so one again he is facing a bigger stronger more athletic guy who has good rd defense and kicked..seems like another loss consider how it went last time. And this time the guy has better hands too.

Aldo might cut more but no way is he as powerful and strong as Bendo, not even close. Frankie is used to fighting and out wrestling LW's, Aldo won't be a problem.

Come on P Dog.

What you are saying here is that boxing fans have been living in denial for years, and its time they realized the painfully obvious fact that a "leg is longer than an arm"
No friggin way. I refuse to believe it man. Let me live in my fantasy world where arms are longer than legs.

If this is the case, you should be making millions betting on fights.

This is me, laughing at your ridiculous post. Can you see me laughing? Can you picture it? :icon_lol:

you and i would be friends in the real world ,

and that is exactly what im saying , ask vitor belfor if his arm was longer than anderson silvas leg , vitor thought he was safe on the outside of any punch , and then shmmmack , right in the kisser .

cung le fights at 4 feet away , because he can close distance with his kicks ,

the mentallity of standing toe to toe and slugging away or fighting from a close distance is only a small part of the fight game , there is a whole other set of attacks and counters that are there for a good kicker .

mma kickboxing is improving in leaps and bounds , its not a muay thai , or karate , or tkd style , its a blend of good boxing strategie with good kicking strategie .

Aldo might cut more but no way is he as powerful and strong as Bendo, not even close. Frankie is used to fighting and out wrestling LW's, Aldo won't be a problem.

Aldo's not nearly as physically dominating of a wrestler as Benson, nor as physically strong. But I'd be confident in saying he is a far more powerful and explosive striker than Benson. Aldo isn't going to try to out-wrestle Frankie, that's not the problem Frankie faces in this fight. Frankie may want to make it a wrestling match, particularly after spending some time on his feet with Aldo. But Aldo is very tough to take down and even if you get him down he's no "easy fight" on the mat. Aldo's TD defense is far superior to Edgar's striking defense, Aldo will be a "problem" for Frankie and the most difficult opponent he's faced. Stylistically, this is a far better match-up for Aldo.

ask vitor belfor if his arm was longer than anderson silvas leg , vitor thought he was safe on the outside of any punch , and then shmmmack , right in the kisser .

Out of all of Silva's finishes, this is the only one he finished with a kick. Anderson's finishes or most damaging strikes are punches by vast majority

Right into a Wandy fist. How has Cung ever been finished? hint..... a Punch!

the mentallity of standing toe to toe and slugging away or fighting from a close distance is only a small part of the fight game , there is a whole other set of attacks and counters that are there for a good kicker .

The overwhelming majority of MMA fights are fought and won in close or on the mat. Sure, kicks end fights and have their place. But MMA fights are won or lost, by an overwhelming margin in close or on the mat. For every 1 fight you can find where kicks were the determining factor, I'll find 50 where punching, wrestling, clinching were the same

mma kickboxing is improving in leaps and bounds , its not a muay thai , or karate , or tkd style , its a blend of good boxing strategie with good kicking strategie .

no doubt, but MMA doesn't have a single fighter that can consistently attribute wins or finishes to being a good kicker. But there are many who could attribute wins/finishes to being a good puncher or wrestler.

Responses in Red

you and i would be friends in the real world ,

and that is exactly what im saying , ask vitor belfor if his arm was longer than anderson silvas leg , vitor thought he was safe on the outside of any punch , and then shmmmack , right in the kisser .

Uh, so there's also whole set of attacks and counters are there for a good boxer too, you know. The range is just merely one part of fighting. It is not the definite proof to see whether or not one set of limbs in superior from the other. All it matters is the practioners' applications. Remember Arni The Ice Viking's last fight? He is mainly a boxer in stand up and have initial difficulty fighting a kickboxer in kicking range, yet when he passed that range into punching range he knocked the other guy out. And like Ssullivan said, yes, mma kickboxing is improving, but let's not turn a blind eye into the fact that the majority of fight is still won by other means outside of kick.

The overwhelming majority of MMA fights are fought and won in close or on the mat. Sure, kicks end fights and have their place. But MMA fights are won or lost, by an overwhelming margin in close or on the mat. For every 1 fight you can find where kicks were the determining factor, I'll find 50 where punching, wrestling, clinching were the same

no doubt, but MMA doesn't have a single fighter that can consistently attribute wins or finishes to being a good kicker. But there are many who could attribute wins/finishes to being a good puncher or wrestler.

Has it occured to you that the reason for those stats is because the kicking game is so poor in MMA? Hell the punching game, nay the striking game has yet to be fully developed. How many UFC fighters use proper technique in leg kicks? Real proper hip turnover, follow through, whipping leg kicks? Alves, Aldo...Vera...Cain to some extent...5 maybe six guys out of the whole roster. So we cant use the current UFC KO stats as proof of anything. Punching can be more effective because the fighters do not have the proper balance to be effective with kicks. With proper kicking training, they can be as effective as a second pair of arms.

Has it occured to you that the reason for those stats is because the kicking game is so poor in MMA? Hell the punching game, nay the striking game has yet to be fully developed. How many UFC fighters use proper technique in leg kicks? Real proper hip turnover, follow through, whipping leg kicks? Alves, Aldo...Vera...Cain to some extent...5 maybe six guys out of the whole roster. So we cant use the current UFC KO stats as proof of anything. Punching can be more effective because the fighters do not have the proper balance to be effective with kicks. With proper kicking training, they can be as effective as a second pair of arms.

Ok, then explain why that same statistic applies to K1 kickboxing. Where the overwhelming majority of fights are won with punches (KO ratio punch vs. kick is significantly in favor of punch). Just sayin........ :icon_surp

Responses in Red

there an old saying at our club , counter a good puncher with your feet , and counter a good kicker with your punches

a person would be naive to think that in todays mma having a good kicking , knee , clinch game is not necessary , that just good boxing is enough im sure you would agree " sully"

to "nuke " my point was that having kicking attacks and counters as well as boxing attacks and counters opens up another part of the game ,, i dont know who "arnie " is , so i cant comment on that ,, i thought we were talking about aldo vs edgar

to "nuke " my point was that having kicking attacks and counters as well as boxing attacks and counters opens up another part of the game ,, i dont know who "arnie " is , so i cant comment on that ,, i thought we were talking about aldo vs edgar

I was talking about this because it is an example where the a boxer beat a kickboxer.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/76647501-post148.html
As for the other thing, while yes i can agree with that, but the level of striking in MMA, while steadily improving, is not at that level yet considering there are still sloppy strikers that can still hang and bang with other people in the highest level of MMA that is the UFC.

Back