Edgar Vs Aldo (stand up) Who has the edge? Who wins?

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
edgarkick2_medium.gif

edgar-kos-maynard.gif

Vs

Aldo_GIF_Swanson_1.gif

jose-aldo_rolando-perez.gif

Jose+Aldo+vs.+Mark+Hominick+5.gif

Aldo has some of the best boxing in MMA. But Frankie does too. Both have excellent MMA standup. I give the edge to Aldo via godlike timing. Frankie's gonna get caught with something nasty.

Discuss

Aldo. i mean, by far. Frankie does not have some of the best stand up in mma, thats way overboard. posting a ko of maynard does not prove your point.

frankie uses decent head movement and lots of feints, but he basically lost the standup to maynard in the majority of their last fights until maynard gassed himself out going for the finish.

aldo has been dominant in the stand up versus just about every opponent he has faced.

Aldo. i mean, by far. Frankie does not have some of the best stand up in mma, thats way overboard. posting a ko of maynard does not prove your point.

Read my original post again, slowly.

You know what? F*ck it. He does have some of the best stand up in MMA. I'll stand behind that.

frankie uses decent head movement and lots of feints, but he basically lost the standup to maynard in the majority of their last fights until maynard gassed himself out going for the finish.

aldo has been dominant in the stand up versus just about every opponent he has faced.

Edgar is not the most flasiest striker, but he is efficient and effective as what he does. Low output? Sure. Score point? Hell yes. He have to play the little man's game most of his career, which really dictated how he needs to fight.

Aldo might have an edge in natural striking ability, but I think it depends on who is better prepared for the other's game.

Bendo was landing those leg kicks on Frankie until he switched up his gameplan. Aldo kicks much more frequently and is much faster on the fire and the return. Cue Urijah Faber's leg after he fought Aldo.

I've got Aldo.

The main problem is how will Edgar defend the leg kicks..

It sucks but a laid back Muay Thai game beats the hard working boxer 9/10 times.
Edgar's got to use the takedown game in this one .

^ good kickboxing beats good boxing. I agree Frankie's best chance is to use his wrestling and tremendously fast and well timed shots to make Aldo more hesitant with his own stand up game.

I think Frankie will win but it won't be from his superior striking.

a big issue edgar may have is that at a lower weight he won't enjoy as much as a speed mobility or conditioning adv as he had at lw; alot of the issues he presented were because of his constant movement and high rate of activity and quickness, at 45 that will be less pronounced.

more specifically that will be less pronounced against a guy like aldo who is one of the quickest and explosive guys in mma, much less that division.

edgar has always had issues w/leg kicks; but for the most part has been able to outposition people through footwork and quickness, to land shots or to get takedowns. I don't know he can do either against aldo...an if aldo catches him like gray did, its a wrap; that being said if florian can go five w/ aldo, i think edgar def can and i do think he can get him down..it just won't be as consistent or as easy as it has been against guys who are slower..have poorer footwork and are fairly one dimensional strikers..

when he faced a multifaceted fighter he got beat..cause he couldn't deal w/the variation of attacks or the power...aldos specialties

I have a felling Edgar is going to give Aldo fits, bouncing around, might win the cardio battle too. Dont underestimate Edgar in this, the leg kicks aren't going to help as much when edgar is going to snag the takedown.

a big issue edgar may have is that at a lower weight he won't enjoy as much as a speed mobility or conditioning adv as he had at lw;

On the other hand he will actually be the bigger stronger man for once. I think he'll man handle Aldo with his wrestling. And Aldo's conditioning is a bit of a weakness but as long as Frankie doesn't struggle with the cut I think he'll have he definitive edge.

Aldo...... no reasonable argument could possibly exist for the otherwise as far as striking is concerned.

Aldo wouldn't be at striking disadvantage against anyone in the UFC at the lower weights, at least not anyone I could think of.

^ good kickboxing beats good boxing. I agree Frankie's best chance is to use his wrestling and tremendously fast and well timed shots to make Aldo more hesitant with his own stand up game.

I don't agree with the notion that good kickboxing simply beats good boxing. Too many times in MMA have "good kickboxers" been smashed by someone even rudimentary at punching who times them well, much akin to the notion you followed that statement with.

i got aldo -- via decision frankie is too tough to get koed

frankie goes down a division , aldo is too fast for him , the weight cut wont be issue for frankie but speed adjustment and diversity of the fighters ability is too much for him .

aldo puts everything together well , he can kick , he can punch and good on the ground , frankie will want to rumble but aldo is in and out too fast for him and he will be chasing the whole fight .

aldo has to look real good in this fight for the ufc brass as well .

I don't agree with the notion that good kickboxing simply beats good boxing. Too many times in MMA have "good kickboxers" been smashed by someone even rudimentary at punching who times them well, much akin to the notion you followed that statement with.

8 limbs with a ground game will beat a 2 fisted boxer

8 limbs with a ground game will beat a 2 fisted boxer

There are no such general rules in fighting, it's about the person, not the style. Aldo is Aldo, he's being picked a lot here because of HOW he does what he does, not merely what he does.

Back