Edgar Vs Aldo (stand up) Who has the edge? Who wins?

maynard may hit hard, but he is one dimensional in his striking, in that he can only really be effective w/punches, secondly he is purely and offensive guy; a guy who moves or has balanced striking will cause him alot of problems. I think if maynard was more polished, balanced he could have in fact finished edgar; but he isn't and that was the difference. Maynard can do two things, punch you and take you down, worse yet he can only do one at a time...then punch you; when either two of those becomes difficult, he fades..resorts to single strikes and more or less turns into a heavybag. His nickname is the bully and if he can't bully you..impose his will or PUSH you back; he becomes incredibly ineffective.

aldo doesn't have that prob, he can def kicks and punches, he can cut off the cage, he can fight going forward or back or standing his ground, he can throw clean combos, clean counters. He can utilize effective footwork and he can kick punch knee and elbow off of missed strikes and or takedowns. Maynard couldn't do anyone of those things, more importantly his footwork caused him to chase all night and his limited off/def led to him getting beaten up and taken down as a result of it.

as sullivan said it's the range and rhythm that will impact how frankie fights and how effective what he does is, he isn't facing a guy who can't def strikes so he leaves a takedown wide open. He isn't facing a guy who can't def takedowns she he leaves lanes for strikes wide open; the same openings edgar is used to facing WON'T be there w/aldo, even in the instances he can outposition him or get him where he wants two things come into play A)aldo's tech positioning footwork and striking will allow him to recover or make something positive out of it..B)aldos explosiveness alows him to make mistakes because he can skip three steps to get back into the right position or follow up w/an attack.

sherk-franca-maynard-veach-penn-bocek-fisher-griffin, are all the best guys he faced; most of them have mediocre to at best avg striking, those are the guys he has been outstriking/outboxing. The same guys everyone outboxes and outstrikes.. penn is the exception; but his style/stance/approach, made seved him up for a beating, not to mention he..like most guys on this list are one dimensional strikers.

The only guys who had more to offer were fisher/henderson, edgar didn't even attempt to spend any real time on the feet w/fisher; which is smart, but w/every other guy he fought he exchanged...tested it out. But fisher even late was still dynamic, had good hands and all round striking; he hung w/pearson-stout-alves-siver on the feet. And against henderson..a guy w/balanced striking, as well as wrestling ability he got lit up; repeatedly kept at a range he wasn't comfortable with, wasn't able to consistently land those flurries/combos he always did, got countered and got caught coming in and out.

your point stands hendo has that wrestling and that size, but aldo is a big dude; big for fw and pretty big for lw, aldo should have been at 55 and edgar should have been at 45. So i feel he will enjoy size strength adv, as well as explosiveness and power; if frankie can get him into late rounds he can wear him down, but frankies gonna have to take alot more punishment that he has had to previously to accomplish this.

also urijah faber is a similar look to edgar; not as good a boxer, but a much better wrestler..stronger..more explosive and able to control guys on the ground, frankie has better hands..cleaner footwork..positioning. But he doesnt have fabers power or burst...imo.

edgar is a smarter fighter than faber is...but i don't think he brings anything to the table that urijah doesn't physically...urijah was fast at 55-45-35, we have only seen edgar be faster against guys not known for their speed..faber has been fast against guys known for theirs..wineland-cruz-to name a few.

Question: What do you do for a living?

If it is anything other than a fight analyst, then you are in the wrong line of work

Both are fast as hell, but Aldo sure is more diverse, especially with his kicks and knees. I dont remember either one using elbows too much while standing.

I predict Aldo taking this fight by UD, but Edgar will take him down at some point, probably more than once.

Frankie is definitely a small 155, but on the other hand, Aldo is actually an enormous 145. The comparison in size between Aldo and Maynard keeps coming up. In truth, Aldo isn't much smaller than Maynard, if any smaller. See clip........

Seeing them side by side I'm a bit nervous as Aldo is pretty close in size to Gray. No wonder he struggles with that weight cut. Thing is Frankie is used to fighting bigger guys where as Aldo isn't. I still think Frankie will have the edge in terms of strength at this weight.

maynard may hit hard, but he is one dimensional . Maynard can do two things, punch you and take you down, worse yet he can only do one at a time...
I agree he does have a tendency to do this but this gif shows clearly that he has more than that to his game. One of the best examples of a TD feint to punch I've seen in MMA.

GrayMaynardvsJoeVeresslow.gif

Devante said:
aldo doesn't have that prob, he can def kicks and punches, he can cut off the cage, he can fight going forward or back or standing his ground, he can throw clean combos, clean counters. He can utilize effective footwork and he can kick punch knee and elbow off of missed strikes and or takedowns. Maynard couldn't do anyone of those things, more importantly his footwork caused him to chase all night and his limited off/def led to him getting beaten up and taken down as a result of it.

Thing is BJ looks to be a much better technician in terms of boxing but he couldn't get close to Frankie and yet Maynard came very close to taking him out, not once but twice. In fact suffice to say if he hadn't have gassed he would have stopped him. The fact that Frankie can take that level of punishment and survive is testimony to his incredible durability, powers of recovery and sheer will.

Devante said:
as sullivan said it's the range and rhythm that will impact how frankie fights and how effective what he does is, he isn't facing a guy who can't def strikes so he leaves a takedown wide open. He isn't facing a guy who can't def takedowns she he leaves lanes for strikes wide open; the same openings edgar is used to facing WON'T be there w/aldo, even in the instances he can outposition him or get him where he wants two things come into play A)aldo's tech positioning footwork and striking will allow him to recover or make something positive out of it..B)aldos explosiveness alows him to make mistakes because he can skip three steps to get back into the right position or follow up w/an attack.
Aldo is great defensively in both aspects of striking and TD's but defending against the clinch is tiring and this is where I see Aldo's weakness come into play because Edgar should have a major advantage here. I think Faber made a big tactical error thinking he could shoot the TD against one of the best TD defenders in MMA and also in not having a answer for those terrible leg kicks.
Devante said:
sherk-franca-maynard-veach-penn-bocek-fisher-griffin, are all the best guys he faced; most of them have mediocre to at best avg striking, those are the guys he has been outstriking/outboxing. The same guys everyone outboxes and outstrikes.. penn is the exception; but his style/stance/approach, made seved him up for a beating, not to mention he..like most guys on this list are one dimensional strikers.

The only guys who had more to offer were fisher/henderson, edgar didn't even attempt to spend any real time on the feet w/fisher; which is smart, but w/every other guy he fought he exchanged...tested it out. But fisher even late was still dynamic, had good hands and all round striking; he hung w/pearson-stout-alves-siver on the feet. And against henderson..a guy w/balanced striking, as well as wrestling ability he got lit up; repeatedly kept at a range he wasn't comfortable with, wasn't able to consistently land those flurries/combos he always did, got countered and got caught coming in and out.

Granted they are all mostly punchers apart from Bendo and Fisher. But I never expected him to outstrike Aldo and I think he'd be insane to try to do so. He needs to engage him in the kickboxing but not try and win.

Devante said:
your point stands hendo has that wrestling and that size, but aldo is a big dude; big for fw and pretty big for lw, aldo should have been at 55 and edgar should have been at 45. So i feel he will enjoy size strength adv, as well as explosiveness and power; if frankie can get him into late rounds he can wear him down, but frankies gonna have to take alot more punishment that he has had to previously to accomplish this.
As I mentioned I really think Frankies acclimitisation to fighting much bigger guys, peerless conditioning/workrate and his stellar wrestling will make the difference.

Devante said:
also urijah faber is a similar look to edgar; not as good a boxer, but a much better wrestler..stronger..more explosive and able to control guys on the ground, frankie has better hands..cleaner footwork..positioning. But he doesnt have fabers power or burst...imo.
Urijah imho employed the wrong game plan trying to shoot from distance and I don't think his timing is nearly as good as Frankies when it comes to TD's.

Devante said:
edgar is a smarter fighter than faber is...but i don't think he brings anything to the table that urijah doesn't physically...urijah was fast at 55-45-35, we have only seen edgar be faster against guys not known for their speed..faber has been fast against guys known for theirs..wineland-cruz-to name a few.
Edgars fighting intelligence really makes a world of difference in how he can apply his physical attributes. Urijah is known for making silly mistakes and suffering because of it. He is a great fighter but he always reminds me of a headless chicken because it often seems that his reaction to adversity is just to move up a gear with no clear application apparent to his output. Edgar is a very different fish in that respect.

I'll admit that it looks like Frankie coming out on top in this one looks like a tall order but I really feel that he is a strong and underestimated underdog in this one who will throw up a big surprise.

Unless Edgar is able to seriously outpointed Aldo, i don't think Edgar is able to win.

I think Frankie can win...he needs to counter Aldo when he throws those leg kicks without a setup, using the right hand; not trying to shoot because Aldo doesn't put his hip into those for that reason. He can't chase takedowns esp after Aldo uses his jabs because its just a setup for that rear hand uppercut or a knee strike.

To me Frankie needs to maintain extended range and make Aldo have to attack from a distance he doesn't like, that way he can acclimate to Aldo timing and limit Aldo offensive attempts.. Aldo jab and straight right aren't really great. Edgard can counter both of those as long as he doesn't stay inside too long and make sure he takes sharp angles when he flurries/rushes, then he catches Aldo out of position then get out before he can get blasted with uppercuts or hooks.

Its all in and out and he needs to be willing to strike with him legitimately, not just to set up takedowns;alot of Aldo striking off is to make guys feel they have to clinch or shoot, instead of using def or counters. Gamburyan Swanson brown Mendez got blasted chasing takedowns in the middle of an exchange if I remember correctly.

Takedowns late is the best shot for Edgar, who doesn't land a huh percentage of takedowns; usually creating scrambles or opp to strike off failed shots. I think Edgar should also use kick catches, he has to do something with them and he cannot catch them flush like he did against Edgar.

The biggest threat is staying at the right range and not being predictable in his circling, if he can keep Aldo from settling in or getting his rhthym; he will most likely be able to score and setup the takedowns later in the fight. Also Edgar need to attack Aldo body..along with a hih pace he may make Jose lose a step early.

Even though Aldo is heavily favored, I still see this match going to a decision. Frankie has that much heart.

Even though Aldo is heavily favored, I still see this match going to a decision. Frankie has that much heart.

If this match goes to a decision, Edgar will win. However, I don't see it going the distance and Im predicting Aldo in the mid rounds finishes him (3-4th round).

If I had to pick an upset in this UFC, I think Bigfoot Silva could definitely upset the Reem.

If this match goes to a decision, Edgar will win. However, I don't see it going the distance and Im predicting Aldo in the mid rounds finishes him (3-4th round).

If I had to pick an upset in this UFC, I think Bigfoot Silva could definitely upset the Reem.

Oh gawd no please don't let it happen.

Does Aldo have that great of a gas tank? I remeber him gassing in that fight where he lumped up buddy's head. If it goes to the championship rounds I have Edgar taking it.

Aldo by KO in the 3rd.

Aldo may be the more complete and polished striker. However Frankie poses a very unique stylistic challenge. This isn't Mendes, Brown, Faber, Manny etc. Frankie doesn't have to plod forward, stand in the pocket, and attempt a clumsy shot. Frankie is unique in his ability to establish his range, maintain a tireless pace, using very adept boxing, and when his opponent gets the slightest bit overzealous on the front foot trying to track him down Frankie can make a seamless transition off the backfoot into an explosive double. His timing is superb. He could do it against Bj Penn, Gray Maynard, and there's good reason to think he can pull it off against Aldo too.

This could make Aldo tentative to pull the trigger on the leg kicks, especially if his conditioning is a concern and it's in the later rounds. Aldo beat Florian, but it was no complete domination and the leg kicks weren't fired in the same volume as usual. Florian established some distance, and was constantly threatening to bridge the range in an attempt to clinch, smother, and if possible complete the take-down. It gave Aldo something to think about and his performance was merely a good one opposed to the destruction people expected.

People shouldn't write Frankie off at all. He's the best opponent Aldo is yet to face and could exploit some vulnerabilities. That being said Aldo's pedigree as a striker, raw speed, explosiveness isn't something Frankie has ever contended with. Frankie really cranks up the volume with his hands in the pocket, he never relents, and that leaves multiple chances for someone with the finishing capability of an Aldo to exploit. Frankie always eats something big at some point in a fight, but against Aldo it's a far more dangerous prospect.

And Aldo has incredible timing. He won't win a decision, but he def can and will IMO time and take out edgar

so what did you guys thought of the fight?? Pretty entertaining huh, overall good fight... Liked how Frankie countered those legkicks that were taking their toll, with takedowns...

Im still shocked at what happened to the Reem lol... I guess he did have a glass chin after all...

Frankie was outclassed on the feet. He was out boxed. The only thing Frankie had is his pace and durability.

Rashad looked bad on his feet.

The end result is that Aldo just has a lot better standup. Edgar's standup looks impressive against some because they have to combat Edgar's takedowns, but Aldo never really let himself be bothered with that. Edgar made it interesting at the end purely due to his superior gas tank, but that wasn't enough. It's hard to win if your opponent definitely wins two rounds and the other three rounds are iffy (unless you are Machida).

Tbh I don't think Frankie was outclassed on his feet - I think he did pretty well in all honesty. I had Aldo for the first two rounds & Frankie for the last 3 rounds & I'm not really biased either way since I think there both classy fighters - I feel that Frankie landed cleanly with more frequency the longer the fight went on because Aldo started to tire - I have to rate Frankie in that respect his cardio/stamina & pace was unrelenting all the way through.

Initially though for the first two rounds it was a one sided whitewash by Aldo, Frankie was nowhere even close to troubling him, kept missing, eating leg kicks & getting caught by solid straights, jabs & hooks pretty frequently - at that point I honestly thought it was either going to end up a an easy decision to Aldo or a TKO/KO in the later stages - but Aldo tired - which I can't remember seeing him do for a long time.

I think Frankie though should have honestly adjusted more to the drop in weight by having at least one fight at that weight before facing Aldo because it would have really served him well - he looked a tad bit drained from the reduction in weight - didn't have the same snap or explosiveness that we usually see.

This is off-topic but I'm surprised everyone is shocked Overeem got KO'd - I don't know why but didn't anyone notice before he got into the cage that he didn't look as defined & abit more flabby in areas - of course the reason is speculative but most would have the same guesses why that was - AND did anyone notice in the fight that he didn't really seem as sharp or as explosive as he was before - almost sloppy at times....again everyone who did notice will probably point to the same thing. I'm not bothered regardless because I always thought his striking was overrated, less technical & more because of his huge size - it makes you wonder whether it was that 'thing' that won him a K1 WGP or his own ability. Wonder where it leaves him though in the division.

Also Rashad fought the wrong kind of fight - should have stuck to his strengths rather than his weakness although he improving his striking - his wrestling is his strength - don't know what his corner were thinking...

Tbh I don't think Frankie was outclassed on his feet - I think he did pretty well in all honesty. I had Aldo for the first two rounds & Frankie for the last 3 rounds & I'm not really biased either way since I think there both classy fighters - I feel that Frankie landed cleanly with more frequency the longer the fight went on because Aldo started to tire - I have to rate Frankie in that respect his cardio/stamina & pace was unrelenting all the way through.

Initially though for the first two rounds it was a one sided whitewash by Aldo, Frankie was nowhere even close to troubling him, kept missing, eating leg kicks & getting caught by solid straights, jabs & hooks pretty frequently - at that point I honestly thought it was either going to end up a an easy decision to Aldo or a TKO/KO in the later stages - but Aldo tired - which I can't remember seeing him do for a long time.

I think Frankie though should have honestly adjusted more to the drop in weight by having at least one fight at that weight before facing Aldo because it would have really served him well - he looked a tad bit drained from the reduction in weight - didn't have the same snap or explosiveness that we usually see.

This is off-topic but I'm surprised everyone is shocked Overeem got KO'd - I don't know why but didn't anyone notice before he got into the cage that he didn't look as defined & abit more flabby in areas - of course the reason is speculative but most would have the same guesses why that was - AND did anyone notice in the fight that he didn't really seem as sharp or as explosive as he was before - almost sloppy at times....again everyone who did notice will probably point to the same thing. I'm not bothered regardless because I always thought his striking was overrated, less technical & more because of his huge size - it makes you wonder whether it was that 'thing' that won him a K1 WGP or his own ability. Wonder where it leaves him though in the division.

Also Rashad fought the wrong kind of fight - should have stuck to his strengths rather than his weakness although he improving his striking - his wrestling is his strength - don't know what his corner were thinking...

I honestly think Overeem lost because he was far too cocky, he didn't approach bigfoot seriously, and in turn got his face smashed in. Not to mention he gassed hard.

I honestly think Overeem lost because he was far too cocky, he didn't approach bigfoot seriously, and in turn got his face smashed in. Not to mention he gassed hard.

Yeah that was a reason he lost, he was way too cocky keeping his hands low & being disrespectful to Silva's striking game & he gassed but to me when he threw strikes he didn't look as explosive or crisp as he usually does, he was pretty sloppy - I think that was a bit strange & uncharacteristically unlike him - usually he's explosive & hits opponents pretty cleanly, this time he did neither, was all over the place - it could be because he didn't take bigfoot seriously but I mean that shouldn't stop him from finding the target with his punches - it don't make sense - in the last 6 years he's finished everyone except werdum before the 2nd round - that's how pinpoint he's been - this time he wasn't & as a result he gassed & got KO'd - not making excuses for him but yeah I found that really strange.

My brother said the same thing. I can see the argument, but the thing is this:
Aldo clearly won the first two rounds.
The last three rounds were iffy. Even round 4, which was Edgar's closest round, wasn't locked down.
So Edgar would have had to get three 50/50 rounds and Aldo just had to nab one.
And even then, I had the fight 49-46.

He didn't look very sharp, not at all... but this isn't exactly unexpected of Overeem. If he can't win in the first round, he gasses, he gets sloppy and his chin is relatively iffy and worst of all when he gets tagged, he stops moving and turtles. This worked out much better for him in K1, where the big gloves block a lot of punches. That doesn't work much at all in MMA.

So yes, he wasn't sharp. But this was still a classic Overeem loss.

Back