Media Dustin Poirier says he will “probably go to 170” if he defeats Charles Oliveira at UFC 269

Didn't go thru all the replies so maybe this was already said...but when I watched this interview the other day he wasn't saying he moves to 170 after beating Oliveira...it was in the context of interviewer asking him how long he has left in the sport and he's like I have no plans to retire soon, eventually I might move to 170 before retiring.

Hes too small for WW and if he wins, I’d want to see a champion actually defend. Hope Charles wins now so we can see defences
He should defend against Justin if he just does one defense.

If Dustin wants to go down as a legend, his path is pretty obvious:

-Beat Oliveira and become the LW champion.
-Defend the belt against Justin Gaethje.
-Partially avenge his loss to Khabib by beating Islam.
-Move up and challenge Usman for the WW belt.

If Poirier manages to do all this, he’d solidify himself as one of the P4P greats.

Dustin vs Colby
Dustin vs Nate
Dustin vs Jorge would be great, although highly unlikely those 2 fight each other.

“No, I’m not retiring. I’m 32, man. I feel good. You see the way I’m moving out here today. I feel good. I’m having fun. If anything, I’ll go up. I’ll probably go to 170, if anything,” Poirier told MMAjunkie.com’s Danny Segura “But no, honestly, my goal isn’t to try to have the most successful title defenses. I don’t know. We’ll see."

Dustin-Poirier-1.jpg

@Ackmed
Old news. He said in between beating Holloway and losing to Khabib that he'd probably end his career at 170. Dude walks around over 190 pounds.

So he’s going to abandon the division that he just became champion in?

Obviously wants to fight Coner at 3 different weight classes.

Gaethje landed multiple eyepokes throughout the fight, and in other fights. Like the Barboza one.

If there was no referee, Gaethje would be dead. What's a quad tear compared to losing your life.

Gaethje has gotten better yes, but so has Poirier.

Rewatched the fight. Gaethje would turtle up while Porier landed combos on him.

Gaethje landed solid leg kicks but he got his clock cleaned out

Against the very best of 170, he wouldn't do well.
Wouldn't mind watching him face elite strikers such as Wonderboy and maybe even Luque.
He doesn't crack top 10. Hovers around top 15 with good matchmaking. Dustin is incredibly skilled but I think his fight with Holloway should be a good indicator about going up a weight class and your ability to put the hurt on the larger fighter. And Max aint small for LW

i could see him only fighting other featherweights at 170 that dont feel like cutting.. such as conor

He'll probably do it once Chuckie chokes him out too

Oh ya, Poirier is soooo scared of a guy he finished.

Poirier, the guy who is undefeated in rematches, is sooo scared of fighting a guy he has already beat.
I always chuckle at "undefeated in rematches" like winning the next time around just deletes getting turned into a meme. It's a classic GSP fanboy move and a pretty poor argument tbh honest

He's just joking about 170

And very honest about the belt
Damn how did this guy get banned I see him post all the time.

And about Poirer well... hmmm.. what does he think he going to do at 170? I can see a lot of those matchups ending badly for him tbh.. Plus whoever sticks around at 155 will eventually have to fight Islam. I think if Dustin or Justin can do so and defeat Islam they would 'kind of' avenge their loss to khabib. Of course that loss will always stand, but it's a mental victory to me at least and a really good moment for their legacy.

Colby vs Dustin has some history though that would be a good one for us fans :)

If Dustin wants to go down as a legend, his path is pretty obvious:

-Beat Oliveira and become the LW champion.
-Defend the belt against Justin

you mean try to defend against islam.. n get destroyed.. n be another flash in the pan champ

what they should do is refuse him the title shot against charlie.. n send a clear message that if you're gonna make it obvious that you have zero intention to be a fighting champ then u dont get a chance to be the champ at all

Last edited:
Big fan of Dustin, but he seriously needs to bulk up if he does this. Just remember if he loses up a weight class, be sure to give him the shit you guys gave Max for going up on six weeks notice and losing to him.

Hes too small for WW and if he wins, I’d want to see a champion actually defend. Hope Charles wins now so we can see defences

He isn't too small lmao. Dustin cuts a fuck ton of weight. Even Colby said that Dustin weighs more than he does. Guy is sitting around 180lbs.

Back