News Dustin Poirier hospitalized with Staph Infection now with Video.

I got a bad staph infection in my right arm just above my elbow back in 06. Some asswipe had staph and came in and rolled with us for a few sessions and spread it everywhere. 4 or 5 of us got it. The wildest thing was how quickly it went from what looked like a little pimple to my whole arm swelling up to double my other arm. Had to have it cut open and drained. Then they packed it with some plastic shit that I had to pull out slowly over several days so the whole would close up.

why is it bad if you have hardware and prosthetic joints / heart valves ? because staph and bacteria love to stick to that stuff and its very difficult to clear it off. they create something called a biofilm over themselves to shield them. usually they have to go in and replace the hardware once it gets infected because there is no saving it.

same thing with bones. once a bone gets infected with bacteria its difficult to get antibiotics to penetrate in there. they usually have to send you home with an IV picc line where you do antibiotics for weeks to months to clear it. if that doesn't work they amputate. most of the time its diabetics who get a foot infected that gets into the bone.
I was mid 20s and got it in my lower shin, presumably from training for my Muay Thai fight. Had a massive infection they had to lance out and I was hooked up to an IV for 2 weeks. I made a pretty quick recovery but the bone is missing from that spot on my shin. The staph took the edge off my shin bone and made it flat. I was lucky I responded well to the IV's they gave me.

Last edited:
Better half is in the health field MRSA or 'Mersa' is a terrible strain of staph and one of the most infectious.
Personally I've been in the trades 20+ years and rolled around and 'wallered in some nasty ass shit. Never had any type of staph infection ever, far as I know no one I can remeber ever contracting Mersa in the field - talkin' about guys that rub some dirt on it and wrap it with electrical tape

I have always wondered how in the hell these fighters constantly develop staph infections so easily.
What's the deal with fighters contracting staph at a seemingly higher rate than average? And it seems like a constant occurrence.
Staph lives on your skin, and normally doesn't cause issues. But if you have a lot of guys, with cuts on their skin, sweating on each other constantly, the chance of staph getting in and fucking shit up rises exponentially. You can roll around in dirt all day and never get affected.

If he's not responding to antibiotics, it's could be bad news for him.

Randleman had a horrible staph infection that almost killed him and permanently compromised his health afterwards.

randleman.jpg

That is disgusting, i didn't see that picture before today.

I've had two bouts of staph, both in my knees. The first (one in the pic with black marker drawn)was antibiotic resistant and was Farked. Went to hospital and was on a drip for a week as well as follow up antibiotics for another 6 weeks. Second was not as bad but still awful and had to get my knee aspirated twice which hurt like shit. Me knees were a BALLEWN.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206_101327.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206_101327.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221206_110949.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206_110949.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
If he's not responding to antibiotics, it's could be bad news for him.

Randleman had a horrible staph infection that almost killed him and permanently compromised his health afterwards.

randleman.jpg

That isn't from staph, that's from krokodil! Randleman was a junkie! On a serious note I'd forgotten how deep some of those holes he had were. Crazy stuff. RIP Monster.

Also, the hospital bed is where Dustin does his best trash talk. I remember he trashed Nate over getting flagged by USADA only to apologize a couple of days later when all the facts came out.

Now he's laying there calling out Conor

Conor talking about murdering Dustin, while Dustin is in hospital, and its normal.

I had a staph infection in May and had a 3 week hospital stay as I ended up with septic arthritis, very painful and needed SIX operations over the course of 15 days to get rid of it. At one point they told me I could die as I may have left it too late to come in. This was the doctor's fault as they missed it twice and the hospital missed it once the week before I got kept in. Believe me staph infections are NOT a joke if they get into your blood stream

Any long term effects on your body or are you fully healed?

Best wishes for the dude ... he seems like a quality guy...

One of the dangers of training. Gotta shower before and after practice and put that cream on.

Time to break out the Amphotericin B

it is the same problem with thai fighters from thailand?
i think they bleeding more than anyone when they start mt.
also they have few hundred fights.
i think using peds and all that stuff makes your immun system a lot weaker too. i also think western ppl are more stressed before a fight. for thais its just a walk in the park

one of the worst ones to get from training, and one of the many reasons the mats need to be cleaned regularly and no shoes, clean gear etc

Back