Media BSD speaks after his defeat - Talks about fighting staph infection a week before the fight

I don't think he's really trying to make excuses, just stating a fact, but Staph doesn't make you rush the best boxer in the division with your chin up in the air, so I don't think it had all that much to do with the loss. He couldn't do all that to Poirier when he got his best positions and they were both fresh either, so even if he was compromised, in terms of skill I don't think it makes any difference if he had less in the tank than usual, the fight wasn't that long for it to play a factor imo

Most fighters keep it hush hush till after the fight, I'm assuming he kept quite.

There's a reason why he was wearing a hat most of the week lol
I don't think he's really trying to make excuses, just stating a fact, but Staph doesn't make you rush the best boxer in the division with your chin up in the air, so I don't think it had all that much to do with the loss. He couldn't do all that to Poirier when he got his best positions and they were both fresh either, so even if he was compromised, in terms of skill I don't think it makes any difference if he had less in the tank than usual, the fight wasn't that long for it to play a factor imo

It can definitely effect your decision making, especially going into a 5 round fight knowing you have less conditioning than usual. He actually did a lot of great work in round one and tagged dustin up, especially in the clinch, but the guy looked lethargic in there and dustins grappling defense was on point.

It's pointless to speculate though. Dustin always had a huge boxing advantage, and he capitalized. BSD should just focus on getting better now and let this one go.

I don’t think that staph was the cause of his chin deficiency.

I wont ever go to a MMA gym again. Ever. They are fucking disgusting. Obviously 'pros' are no different.
But you’d expect someone who is so close to having the biggest fight of his career to frking pay someone to clean that sh** up to the point there isn’t even a single drop of sweat left…

I like bsd, but he should have pulled out. He probably felt like this opportunity was once in a lifetime. Mom's spaghetti type stuff. I get why he fought, but he made his own bed ...time to lay in it.

Oh well. It is what it is. Hopefully he'll come back better.

I doubt it, he got knocked dead....absolutely crucified. Cannot be good for his confidence and mental health as a fighter. Beyond that, the holes in his game...having no absolutely no punching technique? Horrible defense? I seriously doubt at 28 and 15 pro fights in we see him improve technically leaps and bounds when it comes to tucking his chin, defensive tactics...getting off the center line, blocking punches, slipping & rolling etc. And to develop fundamentals at this stage? Like a stiff jab and range management to better use his size and kicking game? Tight combination punching in boxing range, really ironing out his uppercuts, hooks and intelligent punch selection? It's so doubtful.

He has that marauding style. Constant forward pressure, super high strike output, aggressive in the clinch with strikes and takedowns, mauling pressure on the mat. He might improve some, but it's almost certain he's going to always be this defensively defunct, technically and tactfully lacking, go out on his shield type guy. He's talented but some things don't change. Poirier got him exactly where I thought he might, BSD showed the fight IQ of a turnip similar to Jiri vs Pereira. I also think his chin won't be getting any better after getting knocked the fuck dead...and he relies on it heavily. Him developing footwork and defensive prowess and tact and technique...just not too likely. He's a great fighter, he's going to continuing mauling some guys impressively and getting knocked the fuck out again too.

But you’d expect someone who is so close to having the biggest fight of his career to frking pay someone to clean that sh** up to the point there isn’t even a single drop of sweat left…

I know a grown ass successful man who pisses in a jug next to his bed because he's lazy. He wears three piece suits to work and people think he's richer than he is. Men are fucking disgusting. Even I am sometimes.

BSD fought hard. Dustin won.

Staph, and antibiotics, are both brutal.

Reading mma "fans" shit on the guy is pathetic.
People turn factual truth (staph/antibiotics) into excuses & lies.
Had BSD won, he still factually had staph and would mention it.

Had someone said "flu"...
how many will claim:
"the flu doesn't affect taking punches"

Y'all are fuckin delusional.

Porier won, that is a fact. War Dustin !
Nothing against Dustin's win. He earned it.

BSD had staph, that is a fact. Cut him some slack.
Quit shitting all over the guy's "chin".
Staph (& antibiotics) 100% affect "chins", cardio, strength, all of it.

Sad under-educated adults talking how a chin not connected to the rest of the body, including the immune system.
Little kid levels of experiences/education.

Casuals, confirmed.

<LikeReally5><DisgustingHHH>

I'm gonna call him Bull Shit-Denis from now on.

I doubt it, he got knocked dead....absolutely crucified. Cannot be good for his confidence and mental health as a fighter. Beyond that, the holes in his game...having no absolutely no punching technique? Horrible defense? I seriously doubt at 28 and 15 pro fights in we see him improve technically leaps and bounds when it comes to tucking his chin, defensive tactics...getting off the center line, blocking punches, slipping & rolling etc. And to develop fundamentals at this stage? Like a stiff jab and range management to better use his size and kicking game? Tight combination punching in boxing range, really ironing out his uppercuts, hooks and intelligent punch selection? It's so doubtful.

He has that marauding style. Constant forward pressure, super high strike output, aggressive in the clinch with strikes and takedowns, mauling pressure on the mat. He might improve some, but it's almost certain he's going to always be this defensively defunct, technically and tactfully lacking, go out on his shield type guy. He's talented but some things don't change. Poirier got him exactly where I thought he might, BSD showed the fight IQ of a turnip similar to Jiri vs Pereira. I also think his chin won't be getting any better after getting knocked the fuck dead...and he relies on it heavily. Him developing footwork and defensive prowess and tact and technique...just not too likely. He's a great fighter, he's going to continuing mauling some guys impressively and getting knocked the fuck out again too.

With holes that big, you can make improvements brada. Gaethje was older and more long in the tooth than bsd when he lost to poirier and even more dogmatic than bsd about the style he wanted to fight, and he made ashustments after. Plenty of guys adjust at this stage after a revelatory loss.

Bsd is also unlikely to ever face anybody with boxing as good as poirier's ever again.

I'm not saying he'll ge a goat, but I do not think benoit is done developing and his best wins are yet to come.

Last edited:
Back