Dustin learned a lot from his loss to Khabib

He fought a very calm and tactical 1st round, and if he continued to fight at that pace, he might have been fresher.

It’s true Porier was being more aggressive in trying to close the distance more round 2 and that definitely played a role in Hooker making the adjustment, but Hooker tried to outfight Porier in the 2nd round instead of stay with his original fight plan. He started throwing more power punches to the head and body from in close instead of economically choosing his shots from the outside, which he was doing in the round 1. Also, at the end of the round he seemed to spend his entire gas tank on trying to finish Porier with that flurry.

Porier didn’t really start turning it on until the 4th round, when Hooker looked like he was punching underwater.

Didn't Porier completely destroy Hooker in the 2nd round though? I thought he was surely about to finish him against the cage at one point. No idea how Hooker survived.

Porier looked good, for sure...

But I believe the result of this fight was more due to Hooker tiring in the third round than it was anything else.

Hooker was giving Porier a lot of problems before he became exhausted.

Hooker was getting tagged repeatedly in the 2nd round up until the last flurry in the final 30 seconds. You can argue he lost 4 rounds in a row.

I definitely noticed he pulled some Khabib stuff and it seemed to work for him. If round 2 lasts another 30 seconds Poirer is finished though. What a fight.

Didn't Porier completely destroy Hooker in the 2nd round though? I thought he was surely about to finish him against the cage at one point. No idea how Hooker survived.
I think you’ve got it reversed actually. Poirer was against the fence and Hooker was landing hooks like crazy and a pretty tough knee too

I think you’ve got it reversed actually. Poirer was against the fence and Hooker was landing hooks like crazy and a pretty tough knee too

I think both happened in the same round, or...who knows lmao. Yeah it happened on both sides, not exactly sure when. Maybe you're right and it was the reverse at that time

I'm no media guy but it's apparent when a fighter lacks proper instincts.
Good discussion point. Now we are getting to the important coaching factors. The heart of the matter.

He pulls guard at the wrong times, he goes into his opponents guard at the wrong time... every time he had Hooker seriously he hurt he made the wrong choice.
I did not analyze the blow x blow action the way you did. I looked at the overall paradigm. MMA is more knowledgeable than me on most of the technical grappling by far.

Good coaching comes from good discussions. Productive ones.

Instead of maintaining a proper gap and stalking down an injured opponent he closes too fast or doesn't attack. He requires his opponents to make huge mistakes to finish them.
Just watched a championship fight @ the EFC is it? The contender was really talented. Same idea as you talk about here. No prepared... crushed when he lost because the ones on the way up were not as athletic. Sound familiar?

This is why I can take any match... and step above the technical s and frame the how ^\& why... as opposed to MMA's what.

He did the same thing against Khabib, bad instincts.
This is an impression... and together w MMA Analyst getting somewhere.

He actually hurt Khabib a few times but instead of realizing Khabib was 100% going to go for a takedown he attacked recklessly with no consideration for the takedown threat and then all momentum was immediately gone.
The status quo says I'm attacking MMA... no, I'm fixing it.

Khabib has demonstrated over his entire career, the severe take down threat he poses. I don't make those kind of cardinal sin mistakes.

<JackieThumbsUp>Excellent post.

He did the same thing against Khabib, bad instincts. He actually hurt Khabib a few times but instead of realizing Khabib was 100% going to go for a takedown he attacked recklessly with no consideration for the takedown threat and then all momentum was immediately gone.
What I did in this thread was expand the Poirier learning process from Khabib... to the global factors needed for the win. Although threads like to center around a single theme, MMA in action marks the complete reverse.

Poirier made mistakes according to your take. Reason, a quality of bad instincts. This is now objectively appraising the issue.

I deleted the girl karate post because MMA identifies more w boxing. As it should. So I posted the certified gal boxing trainer. You can use a boy one, there's any number over @ TSF.

I pick the gals because they don't have the muscle to force effect the way men do. We can see the dynamic on their lighter physical construction... and weak technique reveals much plainer.

Anyway,,, because of TSF, I've gained a real appreciation for boxing's footwork... which isn't a term. I just threw that up there... as opposed to commentary that Hooker did this, and Poirier did that... kind of talk.

Contrar y to the commercial fan base... I love WMMA. That's because I can manage fighters... theoretically speaking.

Because I am approaching Judo to excel... which again contrary to MMA thinks prepping for competition requires one to be an athlete who goes through a Phil Daru transformation. Excellence in the art propels success. The art has everything, if one is intelligent and open minded to see it.

I think Dustin Poirier is an outstanding MMA competitor... I didn't say outstanding fighter... in keeping w your commentary, he is not. But the guy is a great asset to the sport... but because of the ATT philosophy... I don't follow him. I'm bigger & better than ATT, philosophically speaking.

This is why I predicted Rose would not dominate JJ in the second fight. Why? I evaluated all the global factors. Rose may never top Joanna 1, but that is because she is human.

I posted some clips on Holly Holm... who bored me completely because she was a boxer. I was, however, keenly interesting in the Ronda fight because (1) Ronda was so domineering, (2) Holly represented the best in WMMA striking @ that time, (3) Jackson / Wink has done some good work training, specifically game planning. I also called the fight wrongly for Ronda.

Dana talks about Holly retiring. I can tell you why Holly has not progressed. People made a lot of negative comments about Holly being the Buster Douglas of WMMA... which is unfair & unkind. Professionally minded person would state instead that her fight w Ronda makes perhaps the best WMMA fight of all time. She should be a Hall of Fame not in PPV, but actual Mixed Martial Arts.

Against Khabib, in an MMA way Conor did respectably well on the ground. And likewise, against Nunes, Holly did respectably well MMA on the feet. Martially speaking, however, Holly's fight w Nunes was an epic disaster. I can tell you why.

In this case, however, I'm not going to assign blame to Holly's instincts. The blame belongs on what I've talked about... which is a universe compared to MMA thinking.

P.S. The best thing people could do for the sport is honor Holly Holm with a lifetime achievement award for her performance @ UFC x... the Ronda match. That's my opinion. And like right away.

Last edited:
What I did in this thread was expand the Poirier learning process from Khabib... to the global factors needed for the win. Although threads like to center around a single theme, MMA in action marks the complete reverse.

Poirier made mistakes according to your take. Reason, a quality of bad instincts. This is now objectively appraising the issue.

I deleted the girl karate post because MMA identifies more w boxing. As it should. So I posted the certified gal boxing trainer. You can use a boy one, there's any number over @ TSF.

I pick the gals because they don't have the muscle to force effect the way men do. We can see the dynamic on their lighter physical construction... and weak technique reveals much plainer.

Anyway,,, because of TSF, I've gained a real appreciation for boxing's footwork... which isn't a term. I just threw that up there... as opposed to commentary that Hooker did this, and Poirier did that... kind of talk.
The focus on specific acts is an extrapolation to an overall understanding of his limitations.

His timing and instincts are off. It happens in all sports, e.g. a football coach punting when it's obvious the score and time left on the clock demands they go for it on 4th and 2 or a coach not calling a timeout when the opposition is trying to kick for the win at the end of the game. Those small split second decisions that often seem to make a small difference in the moment add up to championships.

My cities hockey team had a player that is on paper a superstar. Huge, amazing shot that could dominate the ice. Except he'd make stupid boneheaded decisions in the playoffs that cost us, the difference between us winning a playoff round was 15 seconds of bad decision making by one player that theoretically should be getting paid twice what he does but fucks up in the big moments with stupid selfish decisions. Now he's on his 3rd team and will probably be traded soon to his 4th team.

The focus on specific acts is an extrapolation to an overall understanding of his limitations.
Correct, inductive thinking.

His timing and instincts are off.
In short, MMA's fight IQ.
It happens in all sports, e.g. a football coach punting when it's obvious the score and time left on the clock demands they go for it on 4th and 2 or a coach not calling a timeout when the opposition is trying to kick for the win at the end of the game.
Sure, it happens in martial art.

Those small split second decisions add up to championships.
Now, philosophically speaking.

What we are after in martial arts (here sports) is skill. That is the functional, coaching perspective dropping down from overall philosophy.

What we are after in martial arts (here sports) is skill. That is the functional, coaching perspective dropping down from overall philosophy.
Right, and my point is you can't coach certain skills. You can't coach fight IQ past a certain point, look at Uriah Hall and look at Paulo Costa. Hall just doesn't know what to do or when to do it whereas Costa knows exactly when to press for a finish and when to rest and regain stamina, Hall has all the skills but none of the instincts and he likely never will.

Costa can wade right into the pocket with anyone and will be able to adapt to pretty much anyone's counters in the moment, his decision making is so much faster and correct it's comical.

Ya'll hate karate... so you'll hate this. He has a nice technical commentary in the description. Along the lines of your technical... specific acts.

The point is, however, how something this "Master" does, which I covered in my certified gal boxing trainer vid. Again, relating to specific acts.
Taikyoku 3 (Teaching Speed)
•Jan 26, 2016

Russell Bianca
515 subscribers

The third of 3 in the Taikyoku series of kata, common to the Kyokushin, Seido and Kenshikai styles of karate. This one, unlike the first 2 in the series, uses two stances (Zenkutsu Dachi and Kokutsu Dachi) and also uses 2 blocks (Gedan Barai and Chudan Uchi Uke). Also differing from the first 2 in the series, it targets 2 areas with punches (middle and low). Although simple and intended for beginners, it is a foundation kata that many other build upon.

This happens to be a Kyokushin version, which MMA thinks full contact is good karate. Wrong.

Here's my point, tying to "specific acts." See how when he steps into the middle level punch, he learns? I don't think that is right... looking @ the Japanese versions. Remember what Travis, the Olympic Judoka said about the Japanese?

What's fascinating to me.. is our certified gal boxing trainer kinda does the same thing in her Foot work / Feinting video... but very moderate about it. I'm not trying to impress with some big statement that one can't lean into strikes.... What I am saying is that in her first footwork vid, which I truly love, she doesn't lean @ all... says something completely different.

Now this is all boring to MMA, especially MMA media. But it distinguishes the artist from the martial plebeian. WE can go through training programs, and put on our karate master's belt... and none of that matters. If we do it wrong.

We gain excellence by defining specific acts... which hail from being philosophically correct by the standards of human experience. That top's everything Firas has ever said: and will ever say.

Last edited:
How to beat Khabib lesson for today:

Poirier loss to Khabib, or Poirer guillotine fail to Hooker. Don't do it wrong. Some cutesy Gal boxing trainer in too tight workout pants recants (in exacting detail, step by step w rationale put forth @ every meaningful point) what her Certified Olympic boxing training says to do... I'm all ears.

I don't give a sh*t that all the MMA champions are over @ ATT, wherever. Because she is art.

Right, and my point is you can't coach certain skills.
Of course not.

You can't coach fight IQ past a certain point, look at Uriah Hall and look at Paulo Costa. Hall just doesn't know what to do or when to do it whereas Costa knows exactly when to press for a finish and when to rest and regain stamina, Hall has all the skills but none of the instincts and he likely never will.
I'm not an athlete. I'll never come close physically to any good athlete.

Costa can wade right into the pocket with anyone and will be able to adapt to pretty much anyone's counters in the moment, his decision making is so much faster and correct it's comical.
Boxing science specifically trains this.

So why do I take Judo? Because Judo suits anyone who has the aptitude to learn Judo. And once I learn Judo well enough... the traditional martial arts philosophical design will enable me, give me a better platform to defeat the athlete... close the gap to some degree or another practically speaking. That's martial arts.

<KhabibBS>Other guys want to wrestle. Fine. Styles make fights. <WhatItIs>We're back to common ground about the practice of MMA.

I think he is the same fighter really, just different styles make different match ups, Hooker isn't much different than most of the fighters Poirier has already seen. he did look good and crisp but I don't see much evolution even from the Max fight.

how's khabibs nuts taste? He barely beat iaquinta, mj almost finished him, conor was coked up alchy when they fought, khabib is a product of nitpicking fights and ducking. Anyone that pressured him makes him look very beatable oh and he hasn't faced a fucking grappler. Khabib fans need to be first in line to test vaccines, until they get it right. Khabib hype very similar to ronda hype. Ppl talk about him like he's a god but all he's done is cling on for dear life against strikers.
ezgif.com-resize-12.gif

Porier looked good, for sure...

But I believe the result of this fight was more due to Hooker tiring in the third round than it was anything else.

Hooker was giving Porier a lot of problems before he became exhausted.
I don't think Hooker tired as much as Poirier's punches were taking a lot out of him. More often than not it seemed like Poirier was the one getting reactions from Hooker when he'd land. Hooker would alnd a good combo on Poirier but then Poirier would return fire and Hooker would take a step back. At some point in the 4th round Hooker looked like he was done and was trying to force a takedown to win the round in the hopes of bagging at least three rounds.

Dustin is just getting better n better. He leveled up after the Khabib loss

Back