Dustin learned a lot from his loss to Khabib

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
465DF0E6-B0CC-4D2F-B72F-FBF12E9A71A0.jpeg
It really seemed like Dustin was truly dangerous anywhere on the ground tonight and didn’t ever feel like he was in any sort of danger no matter the position he was in. It felt like had they both not been bloodied he’d have Submitted Hooker from some of those positions. I hope he continues to get better at it and becomes a monster everywhere especially if Khabib retires after the Gaethje fight since he’s most likely fighting for the title at that point.

Porier looked good, for sure...

But I believe the result of this fight was more due to Hooker tiring in the third round than it was anything else.

Hooker was giving Porier a lot of problems before he became exhausted.

View attachment 778794
It really seemed like Dustin was truly dangerous anywhere on the ground tonight and didn’t ever feel like he was in any sort of danger no matter the position he was in. It felt like had they both not been bloodied he’d have Submitted Hooker from some of those positions. I hope he continues to get better at it and becomes a monster everywhere especially if Khabib retires after the Gaethje fight since he’s most likely fighting for the title at that point.
like I posted before, I've never seen dustin wrist ride on the fence before

I noticed he tried some of Khabibs tricks. However, its not specific to him, a lot of fighters that haven't fought Khabib have learnt from him. Didn't Overeem use some of Khabibs posituoning last fight ?
Yes, he did but he wasn't as fluid. He tried the tactic against the cage, which I posted but he didn't hold wrist control nor did he hook the leg, that's how hooker got out of it. Abdulmanap is a genius. He turned fundamentals that worked, but used them against the cage to make them hard to escape out of.

Last edited:
Yes, he did but he wasn't as fluid. He tried the tactic against the cage, which I posted but he didn't hold wrist control nor did he hook the leg, that's how dustin got out of it. Abdulmanap is a genius. He turned fundamentals that worked, but used them against the cage to make them hard to escape out of.

Dustin (just before the sequence you posted) also tried to do the "putting both feet together and elevating them" thing Khabib does, but instead of trapping his opponents feet in a triangle like Khabib does, he just say on them with his own feet under. Hard to explain, but if you rewatch you'll understand what I mean.

View attachment 778794
I really don't think he learned much from the Khabib fight dude. As a FW the majority of his finishes were submissions, he is 1 of only 2 men to submit Pettis, the only guy to sub (or finish) Max, had Khabib in the most vulnerable position of his career and has only been subbed by Khabib and KZ himself.

Dustin has always been skilled on the ground, all he learned in the Khabib fight is Khabib is a whole different animal when it comes to positional dominance, technique and pressure with grappling then anyone we've seen before in the lower divisions.

View attachment 778794
I disagree. Hooker has a terrible top game. Dustin made a lot of mistakes but Hooker couldn't fully capitalize on them. When Dustin gave up top position to Khabib he paid dearly. Hooker couldn't do the same. Dustin fought a low IQ fight again but does it with a very high skill set.

like I posted before, I've never seen dustin wrist ride on the fence before

100% he trapped the legs like khabib does first (not as good or tight but it was enough) then went for the wrist ride, even at one point u could see when hooker started getting up he wanted to hang the weight like khabib does but wasnt confident with it so kind of bailed

100% he trapped the legs like khabib does first (not as good or tight but it was enough) then went for the wrist ride, even at one point u could see when hooker started getting up he wanted to hang the weight like khabib does but wasnt confident with it so kind of bailed
He tried to do the leglace like khabib did in another sequence against the fence, poster up and throw hands but he let that go to. It shows you how good khabib is at controlling both upper and lower body at the same time.

Yeah there were definitely moments where I had to double check, I could see Khabib on top of Dan.

Back