Dustin learned a lot from his loss to Khabib

I think he is the same fighter really, just different styles make different match ups, Hooker isn't much different than most of the fighters Poirier has already seen. he did look good and crisp but I don't see much evolution even from the Max fight.

His boxing is improving. Which is scary

sorry, I'm petty like that lol. But just to prove my point.

Stop trying.

This doesn't prove that he learned a thing from Khabib...just that he would go in with a different plan in a rematch.

He literally said what ge did to prepare for Khabib. You morphed that into him subsequently learning Khabibs tricks. Total nonsense.

"How i prepared for khabib" =|= "i picked up skills from khabib that i'll use in my very next fight" lol

Aeriously, what do you think that tweet proved? He did wall and clinch work to get ready for Khabib??? Well...duh

Logic seems to be a bigger problem for you than pettiness.

Let it go.

Last edited:

This doesn't prove that he learned a thing from Khabib...just that he would go in with a different plan in a rematch.

He literally said what ge did to prepare for Khabib. You morphed that into him subsequently learning Khabibs tricks. Total nonsense.

"How i prepared for khabib" =|= "i picked up skills from khabib that i'll use in my very next fight" lol...

Let it go.
Cut this back. Dustin Poirier wasn't prepared for Khabib. He thought so, from the same train of thought used to bash me over the head all the time.

I did a lot of the right stuff with the right training partners. This is how MMA thinks. I went to th gym and did all this MMA workout... workouts... now I know martial arts.<{cruzshake}>

Jon Anik Previews Khabib vs Justin Gaethje | The Schmozone
•Jun 24, 2020

Helen Yee Sports

55.9K subscribers

Clip from The Twenty-First Episode of The Schmozone Podcast with cohosts Dave Schmulenson (aka The Schmo) and Helen Yee. Tune in every week for a behind the scenes look at covering sports through heart and hustle. Guest for the podcast is Jon Anik. Full episode on @TheSchmo

lllDustin Poirier's statement relayed by Anik... is a bombshell. Invalidates everything Matt Thornton of SBG / MMA fame says about effective training. From a title contender in the UFC.

I'd refer you all back to my Kyokushin training speed kata... but that'll rftiiizzzzitttt MMA out. It's square one, that's the message... if you want to take on Khabib.

<EdgyBrah>rood ruck.

MMA doesn't learn a thing. The core philosophical problem.

Here's some MMA media giants... Course there is the conspiracy theory of keeping a prize asset, prize.
Kenny Florian on How to Beat Khabib
•Jul 30, 2019

fightTIPS
2.67M subscribers

For episode 2 of H.U.M.A.N, we brought in UFC vet Kenny "KenFlo" Florian to talk about what filming The Ultimate Fighter season 1 was like, a near-death experience that changed his life, and how, if possible, to beat Khabib Nurmagomedo

<{1-16}>ffffffffffffffffffffffffff You don't beat Khabib with "fightTIPS."

There's a plethora of other lessons in my Japanese female kumtie vid.

Hooker, lost to Poirier... and took a massive amount of strikes to his head in the process. He wasn't prepared, no matter how much MMA, his MMA coach, and City Kickboxing thinks it prepares people.

Few people watch this match compared to MMA matches. It's not exciting to the masses. They are over @ ATT doing crossfit.

The Lesson of Preparation: Both of the kumite competitors were prepared. But one relied on the physical staple of "copying" what kumite competitors so often do. The other was ahead the whole match... because the thinking mind is what preparation is all about. Unfortunately for MMA, a very deep philosophical statement.

<{1-12}>Looking forward to your next piece.

WHAT.
THE.
FUCK.
DID.
I.
JUST.
READ?

Seems like you've got a pretty hard perspective on how MMA knowledge is gained and applied - I try to be unbiased and just look at the fighters performance and the tactics/strategy they use to try and ascertain if anything was learned.

I wouldn't call it "a stretch" to say that Dustin learned something from getting grapple-raped by Khabib; in the 4th round when he took Dan down against the cage he went for a leg-lace to mount to single-leg back-take to Dagestani hand-cuff - this is TEXTBOOK Khabib grappling breakdown process and Dustin did an ok imitation of it (leg-lace his legs weren't crossed and he wasn't driving with his head into opponent). He's not Khabib so it's not going to be as effective, but that doesn't mean it won't still work.

Good fighters copycat the skills of other fighters, even if those fighters are better at applying those skills. It doesn't mean you have to be Khabib to use Khabib tactics, you just have to have better offensive wrestling then your opponent (and technically Dustin is better then Hooker there, he is just also bad defensively because he can't help but jump guillotines).

Good fighters improve from losses, especially if they got exposed somewhere (as it gives them an area to work on). That doesn't mean getting raped by Khabib turns you into Khabib, but in the process of the ass-beating if you have any type of awareness you have to look back and understand how effective it was and see if you can use those attacks/positions in similar ways if you are able to get there. You don't learn the technique through the ass-beating, you learn of the technique and then in training thereafter work on defending and using it.

If you don't think Dustin has been training positions Khabib put him in since their fight you don't know a damn thing about fighting.

Really appreciate your input here, pal. Very erudite.

MMA doesn't learn a thing. The core philosophical problem.

Here's some MMA media giants... Course there is the conspiracy theory of keeping a prize asset, prize.
Kenny Florian on How to Beat Khabib
•Jul 30, 2019

fightTIPS
2.67M subscribers

For episode 2 of H.U.M.A.N, we brought in UFC vet Kenny "KenFlo" Florian to talk about what filming The Ultimate Fighter season 1 was like, a near-death experience that changed his life, and how, if possible, to beat Khabib Nurmagomedo

<{1-16}>ffffffffffffffffffffffffff You don't beat Khabib with "fightTIPS."

Fucking love K Flo

I loved how he used Khabib's leg grapevine. That was really something.

Khabib's cage tactics absolutely should be studied by everyone. He doesnt just posture up in the guard,he will just pass through it like butter,and land strikes while sort of crouched on his feet,and then go back to securing a position. Its kind of like a crazy GNP version of dirty boxing that he does,that i havent seen the likes of since Fedor,and Fedor didnt have the cage to use in his heyday. So Khabib is really coming up with his own things there. Really unpredictable and wittles cardio to 0

Stop trying.

"How i prepared for khabib" =|= "i picked up skills from khabib that i'll use in my very next fight" lol

Aeriously, what do you think that tweet proved? He did wall and clinch work to get ready for Khabib??? Well...duh

Logic seems to be a bigger problem for you than pettiness.

Let it go.
Like I said, I was petty. Lol I'm not super tight on it. It's not a big deal. We just disagree lol.

Khabib's cage tactics absolutely should be studied by everyone. He doesnt just posture up in the guard,he will just pass through it like butter,and land strikes while sort of crouched on his feet,and then go back to securing a position. Its kind of like a crazy GNP version of dirty boxing that he does,that i havent seen the likes of since Fedor,and Fedor didnt have the cage to use in his heyday. So Khabib is really coming up with his own things there. Really unpredictable and wittles cardio to 0

I agree with you.

I'm sure video like these are quite normal across a few MMA gyms even though khabib didn't invent the wheel, he and his dad just refined some things. Just because someone invented the jumpshop doesn't mean steph curry isn't the best jumpshooter. I don't get that complaint I read on these boards "well, the wrist ride been here for years, so and so move been here for years before khabib" Yeah, no shit. Its about how khabib uses it.

which is why many fighters study it. You'd be a fool not to.

I agree with you.

I'm sure video like these are quite normal across a few MMA gyms even though khabib didn't invent the wheel, he and his dad just refined some things. Just because someone invented the jumpshop doesn't mean steph curry isn't the best jumpshooter. I don't get that complaint I read on these boards "well, the wrist ride been here for years, so and so move been here for years before khabib" Yeah, no shit. Its about how khabib uses it.

which is why many fighters study it. You'd be a fool not to.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

Its all how you combine and chain the different technqiues too. He sets quite an agressive pace,

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

Its all how you combine and chain the different technqiues too. He sets quite an agressive pace,
I hope one day ESPN does a sports science on his grouond and pound. Most people that spar/fight him say he doesn't expunge a ton of energy,it's more technique than strength so I'm curious to see how much energy he's using or conserves. I would love to know about the lactic acid in his arms.

Dustin was exhausted and couldn't throw heavy blows. Ben askren who's expertise is wrestling/grappling couldn't do the same thing. His shots were labored. Same with islam. Khabib's shots may not be as sharp as when he's fresh but its still hard hitting shots. How does he have the arm endurance to do that? That beating on micheal johnson my arms would have been burning.

I hope one day ESPN does a sports science on his grouond and pound. Most people that spar/fight him say he doesn't expunge a ton of energy,it's more technique than strength so I'm curious to see how much energy he's using or conserves. I would love to know about the lactic acid in his arms.

Dustin was exhausted and couldn't throw heavy blows. Ben askren who's expertise is wrestling/grappling couldn't do the same thing. His shots were labored. Same with islam. Khabib's shots may not be as sharp as when he's fresh but its still hard hitting shots. How does he have the arm endurance to do that? That beating on micheal johnson my arms would have been burning.
Not everyone believes in high altitude training,but that could be part of it. These guys are from the fuckin mountains and training there all the time. Even Fedor did the same. Even when booked against fuckin Zulu that guy goes into the mountains train. Also the way Khabib stays tight,and he presses against their chest whenever possible to drive the air out of their lungs,and that all adds up as the fight progresses. Total relentless style...and alot of times not expending that much energy while the other guy has to fight hard not to give up a limb or their neck,or their back.

Back