Don't Get Injured While Training for A Fight, UFC Will Cut You

The reality is this, no top fighter or top prospect is taking a weeks notice fight vs Hall. They want Hall on the card and he deserves to get paid. They bring in anyone they can, someone they normally wouldnt sign.

For that if he loses he'll get another fight cause he helped them out. If he wins then he's on his way to bigger things.

But for stepping up and taking a beating in a squash match he'll get two shots in UFC.

If he cant do that what do they even need him for? He wasnt someone they wanted, if he cant do what he was brought in to do and isnt someone they really want on the roster then his contract is terminated.

I actually think they could find a top fighter to face Hall. I don't think the UFC wants that though I think they want to build him up a bit. Dana seemed to really like him so I imagine they're going to give him the Bisping treatment for a while (Bisping always fought lower level athletes at first and after every loss).

That's ridiculous - he should get a million dollars, all medical paid for and an immediate title shot. Hell, he should have someone carry him around so he doesn't have to strain himself while walking. MMA fighters are the most important entity and resource on the planet and they can't survive without us being outraged whenever standard business practices happen.

We should start a schedule of when we (Sherdoggers) are available to feed and burp mma fighters and make sure they are healthy and happy.

That's a very biased way of looking at the Johnson cut. Some might argue that getting finished something like three times in a row at the end of a not-so-stellar UFC run may have been the reason he got cut.

EDIT: just pulled up his wiki page. Went 4-6 in the UFC, was FINISHED all six losses (against non-elite fighters many times), and had three in a row at the end. Also, he's lost two more since them. I thought he seemed like a good dude on TUF, but I think not being top-level caliber is ultimately what got him cut. I would say he should tear it up on the local circuit and come back, but it doesn't appear as though that is as likely as I would have thought before seeing the 2 losses since the cut.

Gotta agree that the losing streak came into play, but I read an interview with Johnson after the cut and he seemed pretty hurt that they took advantage of the situation; he was on a two-fight losing streak and they came to him with a week before a fight when he was 30+ pounds overweight to fight one of their top prospects (Gunnar Nelson).

There is the "make me an offer I can't refuse" ideology from Joe Silva that made him take the fight; he was under the impression that they were asking him to do them a favor by offering him the fight, so he figured that even if he lost/underperformed it would make sense why (short-notice/massive weight-cut) and they would give him a favorable match-up aftewards so he would get at least one more shot against a guy more on his level then Gunnar. If he didn't take the fight for whatever excuse (too short-notice, too overweight), he is the bad guy now and they are already in a position where they can cut him since he is on a losing streak (or give him a match-up that is stylistic nightmare for his next fight).

It ends up being a lose-lose, since you have no leverage to not take the fight since you are on a losing streak and don't have much name value.

Once again, this has nothing to do with whether or not Johson "deserves" to be in the UFC, it has to do with how he was treated as an athlete/employee.

That's ridiculous - he should get a million dollars, all medical paid for and an immediate title shot. Hell, he should have someone carry him around so he doesn't have to strain himself while walking. MMA fighters are the most important entity and resource on the planet and they can't survive without us being outraged whenever standard business practices happen.

We should start a schedule of when we (Sherdoggers) are available to feed and burp mma fighters and make sure they are healthy and happy.

Or maybe one fight as the opening prelim at a future fight night/fight pass card at 8K to show/8K to win?

Either that or a million dollars + medical leave + title-shot, whatever you think is fair.............

:rolleyes:

The UFC is an evil empire who will stop at nothing to make a dollar. At least according to Shertards.

I actually think they could find a top fighter to face Hall. I don't think the UFC wants that though I think they want to build him up a bit. Dana seemed to really like him so I imagine they're going to give him the Bisping treatment for a while (Bisping always fought lower level athletes at first and after every loss).

Top MW fighter on a weeks notice? Like who? Maybe Leben would be that daring but he's not around any more.

Don't Get Injured While Training for A Fight, UFC Will Cut You

OH please stop with the hyperbole, drama, and thinly veiled hate. If that were actually true, the UFC would have only HALF it's roster left right now because last year they went through injuries on every card and guess what... THEY WEREN'T CUT.

What you're actually doing is creating an atmosphere of bitching with all your little childish friends here who already dislike the UFC. Grow up.

The UFC seems to always reward late replacement new hires if they do their job, i.e. show up, make weight, and don't totally embarrass the UFC. If you do that, you will get an appropriate second fight. Unfortunately, none of those things happened this time.

Fire him twice. i'm tired of fighters pulling out so close to their fights. If they can't not get injured, fuck em

He should have manned up and fought with the injury like McGregor would have. He didnt so he needs to gtfo. The ufc threw him a bone and he dropped it.

Well, they would be cutting virtually half the UFC roster, including some of the champs, if this were true. The injuries have been off the charts in recent times.

Fuck right off.

Bollocks mate.

So many dudes accept a UFC fight on short notice then amazingly get injured a few days later and drop out. Its fishy dude. Really fishy. I'd guess that the majority of these dudes have no intention of fighting, they take the contract then drop out, then hope for a more favourable fight 'when they recover'.

Look how many dudes pulled out of Joe Ellenberger's fight, then got a contract. Im glad they're clamping down, if you're a run-of-the-mill regional guy who signs on the line, you fight...if you suddenly get injured, then its not the UFCs problem, go fight elsewhere when you're 'healthy'

Demarques Johnson took a short-notice fight against Gunnar Nelson on less then 2 weeks notice 30+ pounds overweight; he thought he was doing the UFC a favor, though Joe Silva didn't see it this way as he cut him for coming in overweight and losing.

There are many more examples of this, and we also don't even know half of the injuries these guys fight with most of the time.

My main issue with the cut is what it says about the UFC's signing policy - if they really want to be about representing the best fighters in the world then no one should ever be signed for a fight and then cut because they got injured; that tells me they never should have been signed in the first place or the UFC is abusing their position of power over the fighters by demanding unrealistic performance expectations (fight on short notice and don't get injured OR ELSE....).

For your example here, Demarques Johnson should not have agreed to fight at a weight that he couldn't reach. He knew he had to make weight, so failing to do so is a breach in his end of their contract. Of course they'd cut him. I'm more surprised that some fighters get to stay in the UFC after missing weight.

I also think that all of those hating on the UFC here are misrepresenting what's going on. Taylor is not banned from the UFC for life, he just needs a couple more wins to get a contract. The fact that he was considered for the opportunity means that he's on the short list and has the UFC's attention. Unfortunately he got injured, so now he has to prove that this won't be a recurring problem. Once he shows that he can come back and win a couple of times, we may see him in the UFC with a standard contract.

This is true, it's strange how things have changed; back in the day (peak of PRIDE) it was normal for top guys to fight on short-notice or injured because there wasn't so many possible replacements, it was just considered normal.

Now with the influx of money/attention the top guys are being much more picky about who and when they fight (probably rightfully so).

The fact of the matter is that if the UFC wasn't spreading itself thin with like 50 events in a year then there would be a number of good options for Uriah to fight instead of juggling squash matches with different unworthy injury replacements.

I don't know where you've gotten this information from, seeing as PRIDE didn't usually finalize the cards until about a week before the event.

We'd often find out who was fighting by seeing which fighters turned up at the airport in Japan.

Top MW fighter on a weeks notice? Like who? Maybe Leben would be that daring but he's not around any more.

I'm not sure exactly I'd have to go through and see who's available. I doubt every single top MW fighter doesn't want to take that fight. It's an easy win for a lot of the top MW's and I'm sure they would love the pay.

Taylor injured, released by UFC; Hall left without opponent

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/449660/Taylor-injured-released-by-UFC-Hall-left-without-opponent/

So the guy is signed by the UFC on the basis that he is good enough to be on the MAIN Card in his Debut, but because he pulled out with an injury he isn't even worth relegating to the prelims of a future card so he is cut?

UFC tactics are to strong-arm guys who aren't top-10 fighters into taking short-notice fights/fighting while injured with very little reward offered and punishments if they don't (guys have been cut for taking short notice fights/fighting while injured if they don't "move the needle").

Seems like he was signed in order to be a late replacement, not because he is actually relevant. When he couldn't preform that function, they were done with him. Nothing to see here.

For your example here, Demarques Johnson should not have agreed to fight at a weight that he couldn't reach. He knew he had to make weight, so failing to do so is a breach in his end of their contract. Of course they'd cut him. I'm more surprised that some fighters get to stay in the UFC after missing weight.

I also think that all of those hating on the UFC here are misrepresenting what's going on. Taylor is not banned from the UFC for life, he just needs a couple more wins to get a contract. The fact that he was considered for the opportunity means that he's on the short list and has the UFC's attention. Unfortunately he got injured, so now he has to prove that this won't be a recurring problem. Once he shows that he can come back and win a couple of times, we may see him in the UFC with a standard contract.

From my earlier post in this thread:

Gotta agree that the losing streak came into play, but I read an interview with Johnson after the cut and he seemed pretty hurt that they took advantage of the situation; he was on a two-fight losing streak and they came to him with a week before a fight when he was 30+ pounds overweight to fight one of their top prospects (Gunnar Nelson).

There is the "make me an offer I can't refuse" ideology from Joe Silva that made him take the fight; he was under the impression that they were asking him to do them a favor by offering him the fight, so he figured that even if he lost/underperformed it would make sense why (short-notice/massive weight-cut) and they would give him a favorable match-up aftewards so he would get at least one more shot against a guy more on his level then Gunnar. If he didn't take the fight for whatever excuse (too short-notice, too overweight), he is the bad guy now and they are already in a position where they can cut him since he is on a losing streak (or give him a match-up that is stylistic nightmare for his next fight).

It ends up being a lose-lose, since you have no leverage to not take the fight since you are on a losing streak and don't have much name value.

As I will repeat again, my concern is less about whether or not he "deserves" to be in the UFC and more about what it says when you cut a guy who hasn't made his debut yet was slated to fight on the main card; if he is main card worthy against Uriah, then he is prelim-worthy against a nobody, so it seems like he is being punished for getting injured. Doesn't mean he deserves to be in the UFC, deserves a million dollars, etc.

Back