Don't Get Injured While Training for A Fight, UFC Will Cut You

TheMMAnalyst

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Taylor injured, released by UFC; Hall left without opponent

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/449660/Taylor-injured-released-by-UFC-Hall-left-without-opponent/

Last week when it was announced that Costas Phillipou had been injured for his January 18th bout in Boston, Illinois' Louis Taylor stepped in to take the challenge. Now today we find out that Taylor has been hurt and will be unable to fight Hall. He also had his contract pulled from the UFC before ever having stepped in the Octagon:

So the guy is signed by the UFC on the basis that he is good enough to be on the MAIN Card in his Debut, but because he pulled out with an injury he isn't even worth relegating to the prelims of a future card so he is cut?

UFC tactics are to strong-arm guys who aren't top-10 fighters into taking short-notice fights/fighting while injured with very little reward offered and punishments if they don't (guys have been cut for taking short notice fights/fighting while injured if they don't "move the needle").

He had one job: to fill an injury spot. He didn't do the one job he was hired for. Pretty understandable.

Rankings don't matter

He was signed on the basis that he was keeping a "named" fighter on the card by replacing his opponent.

He was only signed for that fight. He didn't actually have a multi fight contract.

His job was to fill in. He couldn't do it.
He wouldn't have been hired otherwise so he was let go.

While UFC does a lot of shady things, I don't think this is one of them. Pat Cummings saved a card by taking a short notice fight, and ended up getting a contract out of it. Had Taylor competed, they would have thrown him a bone.

He had one job: to fill an injury spot. He didn't do the one job he was hired for. Pretty understandable.

Agreed. Stop trying to make this an evil conspiracy, TS. This guy was only signed as they obviously needed a last minute replacement, and then he let them down. Further, they might have a clause which permits this for a first time fighter to avoid listing him with their insurance, which is understandable, given that they just signed him and someone could theoretically be hiding an injury prior to the contract agreement.

Yeah it's really not fair, but then again they did only sign him for one purpose and he wasn't able to fulfill that purpose.

While UFC does a lot of shady things, I don't think this is one of them. Pat Cummings saved a card by taking a short notice fight, and ended up getting a contract out of it. Had Taylor competed, they would have thrown him a bone.

Concise and well thought out.

He signed to fill up an injury, he didn't.

This isn't the first time this has happened, i think it was about 2 years ago a guy was in the same place.

but he deserves a million dollars and to be in the ufc, but he does't have to fight though

Change thread title to
If you do not have a UFC contract & are given a chance to get one & you do not actually fight then don't expect to be signed.

Why is everyone always trying to make the UFC, look like an evil empire?

I hired a guy as a fill-in for one day. He didn't show up. People got mad I didn't bring him back.

Is normal.

His job was to fill in. He couldn't do it.
He wouldn't have been hired otherwise so he was let go.

There is a harsh reality to what you wrote, like it or not it's the truth. He was hired to step-in and hopefully shine to bigger opportunities, but if you can't fight they can't wait?

Back