Don't Get Injured While Training for A Fight, UFC Will Cut You

All I know is if I'm running a business where I sign someone for one day because the guy that was supposed to be there (and had established himself as a a part of my business) couldn't, and then the fill in doesn't make it, then we part ways. It's nothing against the fill-in guy. He got injured, that's too bad, but the UFC didn't intend for him to be a multi-fight guy unless he proved to them that he should be. He kind of did the opposite. Again, too bad he got injured, but if injuries are what's plaguing the sport, isn't it a good idea to not reward those who've done nothing for the company, and already got injured?

I get where you're coming from but if the guy was UFC calibre I feel like he should be given a chance, and if he's not then he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.

TS trying to make the UFC look bad but it was just normal business.

I get where you're coming from but if the guy was UFC calibre I feel like he should be given a chance, and if he's not then he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.
Most UFC caliber fighters won't take a fight on short notice. He was signed for that reason only and didn't come through.

I see that side of the argument, as well. I think the UFC wouldn't have signed him if they weren't desperate for a fill-in. I'd be super-bummed if I was him, because even a good showing in a loss probably would have gotten him a contract as we've seen before. But, I can see the UFC side of this one. As another poster mentioned, they do some shady stuff, but this seems reasonable.

Testing positive for illegal narcotics is okay, though.

If they signed him as a replacement, I don't see the problem. I haven't kept up with it all though.

I'm still consistently amazed at how almost everyone always sides with the UFC over the fighters on the forums - I'm not saying the guy deserves to be paid his show/win money, just give him another fight way further down the card on the prelims in the future, he's only making $8K/$8K and the reason he got injured was he was training for as an injury-replacement for a UFC fight.

I understand he was brought in on short notice as an injury replacement; however, by signing him up for a main card fight the UFC are stating that he is worthy of being in the UFC and on the main card no less. Seems like the decent thing to do would be give him a prelim down the road instead of making him win additional fights to prove he deserves a shot in the UFC.

Imagine this scenario - your friend is part of a recreational basketball league and calls you up to see if you want to play on his team that weekend; he knows you are a pretty good player and there are a few guys out of town/injured that week so he asks you to play on the starting 5 that weekend and if you are good you can be on the team. You say sure and during the week you are playing ball to get ready for the game and you tweak your knee. You call up your friend to tell him sorry you are hurt and can't play this weekend, but you will be down to play in the near future to show you are worthy of being on the team. He says sorry, he's not sure if you are even that good after all since you can't play this weekend and you aren't going to get another chance to prove it; but maybe he'll call you if they have an injury in the future and need another bench-warmer.....maybe.....

It's not a perfect analogy but it begs the question - how did you all of a sudden go from being worthy of being on the starting five (main card) of the team to not being worthy of being a bench-warmer (prelims) based on an injury sustained out of competition? Seems like your worth as an athlete is based on the whims/needs of a few individuals who are put in a position of power that is ripe with abuse.

Last edited:
Taylor injured, released by UFC; Hall left without opponent

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/449660/Taylor-injured-released-by-UFC-Hall-left-without-opponent/

So the guy is signed by the UFC on the basis that he is good enough to be on the MAIN Card in his Debut, but because he pulled out with an injury he isn't even worth relegating to the prelims of a future card so he is cut?

UFC tactics are to strong-arm guys who aren't top-10 fighters into taking short-notice fights/fighting while injured with very little reward offered and punishments if they don't (guys have been cut for taking short notice fights/fighting while injured if they don't "move the needle").

Jesus. I hate a lot of the shit that Dana and the UFC pull, but in this case, you're simply piling on. Get over your haterade already.

The guy was signed to do a job. That job was to fill in on short notice. When he couldn't do that - it was see you later. The real world operates like this. People get hired to do a specific job, and when they can't, they are let go.

Demarques Johnson took a short-notice fight against Gunnar Nelson on less then 2 weeks notice 30+ pounds overweight; he thought he was doing the UFC a favor, though Joe Silva didn't see it this way as he cut him for coming in overweight and losing.

There are many more examples of this, and we also don't even know half of the injuries these guys fight with most of the time.

My main issue with the cut is what it says about the UFC's signing policy - if they really want to be about representing the best fighters in the world then no one should ever be signed for a fight and then cut because they got injured; that tells me they never should have been signed in the first place or the UFC is abusing their position of power over the fighters by demanding unrealistic performance expectations (fight on short notice and don't get injured OR ELSE....).

I'm still consistently amazed at how almost everyone always sides with the UFC over the fighters on the forums - I'm not saying the guy deserves to be paid his show/win money, just give him another fight way further down the card on the prelims in the future, he's only making $8K/$8K and the reason he got injured was he was training for as an injury-replacement for a UFC fight.

I understand he was brought in on short notice as an injury replacement; however, by signing him up for a main card fight the UFC are stating that he is worthy of being in the UFC and on the main card no less. Seems like the decent thing to do would be give him a prelim down the road instead of making him win additional fights to prove he deserves a shot in the UFC.

Imagine this scenario - your friend is part of recreational basketball league and calls you up to see if you want to play on his team that weekend; he knows you are a pretty good player and there are a few guys out of town/injured that week so he asks you to play on the starting 5 that weekend and if you are good you can be on the team. You say sure and during the week you are playing ball to get ready for the game and you tweak your knee. You call up your friend to tell him sorry you are hurt and can't play this weekend, but you will be down to play in the near future to show you are worthy of being on the team. He says sorry, he's not sure if you are even that good after all since you can't play this weekend and you aren't going to get another chance to prove it; but maybe he'll call you if they have an injury in the future and need another bench-warmer.....maybe.....

It's not a perfect analogy but it begs the question - how did you all of a sudden go from being worthy of being on the starting five (main card) of the team to not being worthy of being a bench-warmer (prelims) based on an injury sustained out of competition? Seems like your worth as an athlete is based on the whims/needs of a few individuals who are put in a position of power that is ripe with abuse.

Uriah Hall is a "named" guy. The UFC has a stake in showcasing him.

This has less to do with Taylor as a fighter, and more to do with showcasing Hall.

Very misleading title. UFC pays for fighter insurance/injuries and actually have in their contracts that a fighter SHOULD get pre-existing injuries fixed before a fight or it will be their own liability after. In other words, UFC makes an incentive for fighters to heal before fighting again. That's what caused the spike in "injuries" for the past two years. Fighter weren't suddenly getting injured more, they are just using the benefits UFC put in place two years ago and the result is more cancellations (showing the UFC invests in their talent long-term and isn't thinking short-term in a way that hurts fighters)

You're claim beyond BS. How about Costas? He's still signed. UFC signed the fill in due to how close the fight was and when he wasn't able to complete the task, he was cut. The guy likely was brought in to lose and be cut after anyways. I understand that it's possible he could've won and continued on but when you just get into the UFC, you risk of being cut is pretty high, especially if you get injured for the first and only fight they need you in.

From the looks of it he would have been cut if he lost anyway. At least he didn't get a tatsumaki senpuu kyaku to the face and then get cut.

He wasn't signed through the regular channels so being let go not through the regular channels is to be expected

Imagine this scenario - your friend is part of a recreational basketball league and calls you up to see if you want to play on his team that weekend; he knows you are a pretty good player and there are a few guys out of town/injured that week so he asks you to play on the starting 5 that weekend and if you are good you can be on the team. You say sure and during the week you are playing ball to get ready for the game and you tweak your knee. You call up your friend to tell him sorry you are hurt and can't play this weekend, but you will be down to play in the near future to show you are worthy of being on the team. He says sorry, he's not sure if you are even that good after all since you can't play this weekend and you aren't going to get another chance to prove it; but maybe he'll call you if they have an injury in the future and need another bench-warmer.....maybe.....

its a PERFECT analogy (long and boring).

"my friend" WAS NOT ON THE STARTING 5.IF YOU WERE YOU WOULD ALREADY E ON THE TEAM.

he was a fill-in remember?

so why would the original guy, THE 1 BETTER THAN MY FRIEND, NOT GET BACK HIS PLACE ON THE 5 MAN TEAM? ITS SUPPOSED TO GO TO HIS INJURED BACK UP WHO NEVER SUITED UP?

I don't get why the whiners are acting like he has lost his chance forever. often times fighters are cut then re-signed.

Worthy of being in the UFC? This is the same company that said Ben Askren needed to prove himself.

You're right, it's not a good analogy at all for the situation. It's a different sport that isn't team based and also has multiple "games"/fights on the same event. Also, UFC isn't recreational and a huge org like that is a little more complicated with roster management than some weekend warrior basketball team.

It was short notice and the UFC decided to try to get Hall a highlight reel win by getting some lower talent. This happens at times when the main opponent gets injured.

Charles Brenneman actually was a replacement when he fought Rick Story on like two days notice and won the match. He was a local talent and proved his worth with the upset. You can't make that assumption though before the fighter has even fought a match. The first match is an opportunity and the fighter that got injured/cut missed it.

Back