Don't Get Injured While Training for A Fight, UFC Will Cut You

Uriah Hall is a "named" guy. The UFC has a stake in showcasing him.

This has less to do with Taylor as a fighter, and more to do with showcasing Hall.

Yes. If TS just made the point, "Hey, UFC sometimes puts lesser talented fighters on the main cards compared to prelims cause they are either more exciting or they are being mismatched with a top name in hopes they'll win." I would just be like "duh".

He didn't do that though. He first made a title that's absolute BS and misleading and then began to go on that if you are signed for one fight on short notice and then have to bail, your job should somehow be secure.

What if they did keep him. Now everytime UFC needs a short time fill in, a fighter will come foward, sign the contract (even if they are already injured) and then cancel their fight. Now you've allowed any injured fighters who appear willing during short time frames to come forward and win a UFC contract due for no real reason.

Worthy of being in the UFC? This is the same company that said Ben Askren needed to prove himself.

You can look at Worldwide MMA rankings and see that at times the best aren't all in the UFC. If you are a wrestler, you can often be overlooked intentionally. I think Askren would be great to have in the UFC but I doubt he'd hold the belt. The guys I wish more for are some LW's and I think they need to build out their HW roster more.

I don't see a problem with this. To be honest, it should probably happen more often.

Good to see. More fighters need to learn how to train properly without injuring themselves. You can't train right/keep getting injured - see yourself out.

its a PERFECT analogy (long and boring).

"my friend" WAS NOT ON THE STARTING 5.IF YOU WERE YOU WOULD ALREADY E ON THE TEAM.

he was a fill-in remember?

so why would the original guy, THE 1 BETTER THAN MY FRIEND, NOT GET BACK HIS PLACE ON THE 5 MAN TEAM? ITS SUPPOSED TO GO TO HIS INJURED BACK UP WHO NEVER SUITED UP?

I don't get why the whiners are acting like he has lost his chance forever. often times fighters are cut then re-signed.

I'm not saying the guy who lost his spot doesn't deserve his spot on the starting five back - your inability to understand the analogy is the problem (it might still be a long and boring analogy but your failure to understand it begs to question your comprehension levels, not the analogy itself).

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INITIAL GUY WHO GOT INJURED - this is about validating the worth of the replacement as an athlete.

If I was good enough to jump into the team in the starting five one week, then how did I all of a sudden become not good enough to ride the bench once a few weeks later? Forget about words like deserves, because I'm not staying I deserve anything (i.e. I deserve to be on the team/this guy deserves to be in the UFC), I'm just wondering how my worth as an athlete goes from high to low based on an injury if I'm still the same athlete when I come back from the injury.

It's a discussion of how the UFC places qualitative value on athletes - doesn't make it inherently right or wrong, but it seems like just by having this discussion people are ready to come to the UFC's defense. And I never even attacked the UFC at any point in this thread - no name-calling, never said they were crazy, just that I didn't agree with the strategy and what it said about the sport.

Let the kool-aide drinking continue however.

Last edited:
It just shows how difficult it is to make it in this sport. It is brutal on the body, plus it is so cutthroat. One loss or injury, can bury your career. You lose so much. And you don't make much unless you get really high on the mountain. MMA is totally inadvisable as a career.

Yes. If TS just made the point, "Hey, UFC sometimes puts lesser talented fighters on the main cards compared to prelims cause they are either more exciting or they are being mismatched with a top name in hopes they'll win." I would just be like "duh".

He didn't do that though. He first made a title that's absolute BS and misleading and then began to go on that if you are signed for one fight on short notice and then have to bail, your job should somehow be secure.

What if they did keep him. Now everytime UFC needs a short time fill in, a fighter will come foward, sign the contract (even if they are already injured) and then cancel their fight. Now you've allowed any injured fighters who appear willing during short time frames to come forward and win a UFC contract due for no real reason.

My thread title is a FACTUAL STATEMENT - the guy was signed to fight, got injured, and was cut. There was a lot of circumstancial stuff going on to be fair (he was an injury replacement himself), but the thread title is just stating a fact. But yeah, it's a pretty unique situation that we will probably only see very rarely (an injury replacement getting injured),

I also never said your job should be secure if you bail on a short-notice fight (once again UFC defenders putting words in my mouth); I simply questioned the wisdom of signing a guy to fight on the main card and then cutting him instead of relegating him to the prelims in the future.

Every day stating facts and having a discussion becomes more and more obscene thanks to the internet.

First off he was hired as a replacement and looks like he signed and took the fight while hurt knowing he was hurt.

I'm not saying the guy who lost his spot doesn't deserve his spot on the starting five back - your inability to understand the analogy is the problem (it might still be a long and boring analogy but your failure to understand it begs to question your comprehension levels, not the analogy itself).

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INITIAL GUY WHO GOT INJURED - this is about validating the worth of the replacement as an athlete.

If I was good enough to jump into the team in the starting five one week, then how did I all of a sudden become not good enough to ride the bench once a few weeks later? Forget about words like deserves, because I'm not staying I deserve anything (i.e. I deserve to be on the team/this guy deserves to be in the UFC), I'm just wondering how my worth as an athlete goes from high to low based on an injury if I'm still the same athlete when I come back from the injury.

It's a discussion of how the UFC places qualitative value on athletes - doesn't make it inherently right or wrong, but it seems like just by having this discussion people are ready to come to the UFC's defense. And I never even attacked the UFC at any point in this thread - no name-calling, never said they were crazy, just that I didn't agree with the strategy and what it said about the sport.

Let the kool-aide drinking continue however.

Replacement athletes aren't judged on the same criteria as regular athletes. The main reason he was signed was he's supposed to be reliable and actually fight.

Employers don't look favorably upon people that phone in sick for their first day of work.

Zuffa zombies itt

You should learn a second chord so you can sing another tune once in a while.

They hired a journeyman for a day's work, and he wasn't able to make it. It doesn't seem any more complicated than that.

Demarques Johnson took a short-notice fight against Gunnar Nelson on less then 2 weeks notice 30+ pounds overweight; he thought he was doing the UFC a favor, though Joe Silva didn't see it this way as he cut him for coming in overweight and losing.

There are many more examples of this, and we also don't even know half of the injuries these guys fight with most of the time.

My main issue with the cut is what it says about the UFC's signing policy - if they really want to be about representing the best fighters in the world then no one should ever be signed for a fight and then cut because they got injured; that tells me they never should have been signed in the first place or the UFC is abusing their position of power over the fighters by demanding unrealistic performance expectations (fight on short notice and don't get injured OR ELSE....).

That's a very biased way of looking at the Johnson cut. Some might argue that getting finished something like three times in a row at the end of a not-so-stellar UFC run may have been the reason he got cut.

EDIT: just pulled up his wiki page. Went 4-6 in the UFC, was FINISHED all six losses (against non-elite fighters many times), and had three in a row at the end. Also, he's lost two more since them. I thought he seemed like a good dude on TUF, but I think not being top-level caliber is ultimately what got him cut. I would say he should tear it up on the local circuit and come back, but it doesn't appear as though that is as likely as I would have thought before seeing the 2 losses since the cut.

Ron Stallings will fill in and fight Hall now.

The reality is this, no top fighter or top prospect is taking a weeks notice fight vs Hall. They want Hall on the card and he deserves to get paid. They bring in anyone they can, someone they normally wouldnt sign.

For that if he loses he'll get another fight cause he helped them out. If he wins then he's on his way to bigger things.

But for stepping up and taking a beating in a squash match he'll get two shots in UFC.

If he cant do that what do they even need him for? He wasnt someone they wanted, if he cant do what he was brought in to do and isnt someone they really want on the roster then his contract is terminated.

The reality is this, no top fighter or top prospect is taking a weeks notice fight vs Hall.

This is true, it's strange how things have changed; back in the day (peak of PRIDE) it was normal for top guys to fight on short-notice or injured because there wasn't so many possible replacements, it was just considered normal.

Now with the influx of money/attention the top guys are being much more picky about who and when they fight (probably rightfully so).

The fact of the matter is that if the UFC wasn't spreading itself thin with like 50 events in a year then there would be a number of good options for Uriah to fight instead of juggling squash matches with different unworthy injury replacements.

Back