Dog VS Coyote

TS are you selling Akitas or something? This thread is just kinda weird...

TS are you selling Akitas or something? This thread is just kinda weird...

You selling game pits or something? Your post is kind of weird. No one was talking about APBTs or dog fights.

Look, it's simple. Coyotes have become active in my neighborhood. They're attacking deer, a duck pet is missing, etc. I leave my dogs out back on a lead at times because they like being outside. It is natural to wonder about their ability to protect themselves. I posted about it on an Akita page to see what experience people had. I posted on here asking about people's experiences with coyotes and their dogs. Not much else to it.

I'm still not sure why you felt the need to talk about Akitas vs Game Pits when this is not about dog fights, it's about coyote attacks.

Akita's and game pits may be legendary on the sherdog but ShibaInu's are famous on the internet and way cooler.

Akita's and game pits may be legendary on the sherdog but ShibaInu's are famous on the internet and way cooler.

doge.jpg

My brother has one, and they are awesome dogs! (And have better memes)

Shiba's are small. I don't like small dogs.

If I want a small animal I'll get a cat.

Is that so?

How long you been farming?

Primarily going off what my farmer friends tell me when they ask me to kill coyotes and wolves for them, and a few studies. I was always curious why they didnt want me to eradicate them completely from the area.

Don’t let your ego and Internet stories get your dogs Hurt. At the end of the day they are dogs, and coyotes are wild animals.

in a pack they will fuck them up. And yotes like to bait them into the pack if they are in danger.

They also carry many bad things that could get your dogs very sick or injured even if they did “win”.
Some dogs were specifically bred to combat wild animals though.

I mean ofc don't take the chance if you don't have to, but still.

Some dogs were specifically bred to combat wild animals though.

I mean ofc don't take the chance if you don't have to, but still.

Exactly. There are breeds like the Kangal, the Akita, the Anatolian, etc that have putting themselves against wild animals embedded deeply in their DNA.

Still, I'm not sending mine off to do combat.

My timber wolf/pit was a bad mofo. Favorite “dog” I ever had..
A timber wolf/pitbull mix?!

You better show some pictures, that dog must've looked awesome and fairly unique!

Last edited:
I'm sympathetic to how bad losing a pet to wildlife must feel.
But at the same time, when animals "suddenly get bold", it's not like they've been watching pro-animal propaganda films. It's almost always because selfish asshole humans have continued to take the land the animals need and have always had and build homes or strip malls on it, leaving the animals displaced, hungry, and desperate.
^^^^ this guy gets it.

We keep encroaching on their space and little by little they have no choice but to interact and attack humans/pets.

That said - when I was younger (teens early 20s) growing up on the Rez we had 3 dogs and they continually fought off coyotes who'd come around (mutant large German Shepard, Grey Hound and a Dalmatian).

Just be glad you don't have cougars (the big cat not the older lady looking for some love'in) or wolves.

Also, Coyotes are smart and work together.

They'll send one in to lure your dog away and if the dog gives chase they'll bring in to an ambush (from the sides).

Every thread I enter about Akitas someone jumps in and says "game pits".

That's like talking about some guy you know who can kick some ass and someone says, "Yeah but wait until he runs into a professional MMA guy".

Game pits are extremely rare and anyone who has one is probably involved in the dogfighting game and that's just sick.

Been trying to tell people this for years. You can’t just go out and get a “game pit” if you decide you want one one day.

Primarily going off what my farmer friends tell me when they ask me to kill coyotes and wolves for them, and a few studies. I was always curious why they didnt want me to eradicate them completely from the area.

I don't know what they're farming that rodents could ever be a bigger problem than the insects they consume.
I'll tell you right now that coyotes do absolutely nothing to preserve or enhance corn, soybeans or wheat farming.
Of course I'd still be willing to look at the studies you speak of.
And farmers have no say in how many you kill, only access to their land. It's open season on coyotes year round with no limits.

Back