Dog VS Coyote

I know a few people that hunt coyotes with dogs. They have a Greyhound ride in the back of the truck, with 2 or 3 pitbull/mutts in a dog box. Then the hunter cruises county road looking for Coyotes. When the driver spots a Coyote standing in a pasture, the Greyhound will jump out and give chase (They hunt by sight, which is why they chase a fake rabbit around a track when racing). As fast as a Coyote is a Greyhound is faster. Then the hunter opens the dog box and releases the Pitbull/mutt, they are slower and wouldn't catch up to the Coyote, except by this time the Greyhound has already caught up to the Coyote, and will bay it until the Pitbulls get there to maul the Coyote to death.

It's a savage form of hunting, and quite fucked up, but Coyotes do tremendous amounts of damage to the ranching/livestock industry, so fuck em. Personally for damage control I generally just call Coyotes in and send a .22-250 pill thier way as an arrival gift.

Apparently we have coywolves on Long Island, but I've never seen one. Wolves usually kill coyotes, but apparently some in eastern Canada couldn't find mates, so they fucked some coyotes. Their offspring traveled down New York and got onto the Island through the subways. iirc they're part domestic dog too. Like 60% coyote, 30% wolf, 10% dog.

I know a few people that hunt coyotes with dogs. They have a Greyhound ride in the back of the truck, with 2 or 3 pitbull/mutts in a dog box. Then the hunter cruises county road looking for Coyotes. When the driver spots a Coyote standing in a pasture, the Greyhound will jump out and give chase (They hunt by sight, which is why they chase a fake rabbit around a track when racing). As fast as a Coyote is a Greyhound is faster. Then the hunter opens the dog box and releases the Pitbull/mutt, they are slower and wouldn't catch up to the Coyote, except by this time the Greyhound has already caught up to the Coyote, and will bay it until the Pitbulls get there to maul the Coyote to death.

It's a savage form of hunting, and quite fucked up, but Coyotes do tremendous amounts of damage to the ranching/livestock industry, so fuck em. Personally for damage control I generally just call Coyotes in and send a .22-250 pill thier way as an arrival gift.

I was out on a run the other night and saw three coyotes just trotting down the street. They took an interest in my but kept their distance. A little unnerving.

I knew some red necks who used to use greyhounds to hunt coyotes in eastern Oregon. Killing the coyotes doesn’t bother me so much considering their abundance, but the sick pleasure these weirdos would take in watching it die was pretty fucked up. They would poach deer and torture skunks and other small critters for “fun” too. People are fucked up.

I have three old ass dogs, one is actually a 14 year old greyhound we adopted a long time ago after he was done racing. The other two are small yappers and we have lots of coyotes here, so I’m pretty careful at night.

Be careful in your assessment of what a coyote would or wouldn't attack. Found a years old coyote den while I was hunting one time.

The den was filled with the bones of horse and cows. More than likely scavenged carcasses, but the amount of spinal columns and skulls in and around the den lead me to believe they drug the entire carcasses to that location.

Coyotes are serious predators.

Be careful in your assessment of what a coyote would or wouldn't attack. Found a years old coyote den while I was hunting one time.

The den was filled with the bones of horse and cows. More than likely scavenged carcasses, but the amount of spinal columns and skulls in and around the den lead me to believe they drug the entire carcasses to that location.

Coyotes are serious predators.

I would never assume safety, but you just listed prey animals. Not massive predatory canines.

When I lived in Nevada for about a half year, my neighbors Doberman chased a coyote out into the hills/desert. According to my neighbor it was clear the Coyote was baiting him. The Doberman never came back. Likely got clever girl’d after they were out of sight. I thought Dobermans were smarter but I guess there’s always a dumbass

Kinda like this, minus the sympathetic message at the end. Coyotes are the fleas of open range, they are the scourge of American ranching, and like any termite or roach they must be terminated. To dispute this would put this varmints needs above you and yours.

Personally I dont hunt Coyotes with dogs, because I dont want to see my own catch some filth disease from those animals, but I really enjoy sending a bullet at 4000ft per second to that devil dogs ear hole.

Was just sent this. Result of Akita vs coyote.

Size comparison. Yote had no chance.
20201030_233217.jpg

Last edited:
I watch a guy try and get his husky to say hello to two coyotes the other day and they just ran off but I was thinking WTF. Even if his dog won a fight, he would have taken damage and then you got vet bills for nothing. Shit was dumb

Btw for those saying to kill all the coyotes, that’s one of the reasons they have spread across the entire country. Coyotes weren’t historically found in New England, but a lack of larger predators left db opening they were glad to fill. The more coyotes you kill, the more they breed and we have the largest coyotes in the country in New England. Fascinating animals and extremely intelligent

Btw for those saying to kill all the coyotes, that’s one of the reasons they have spread across the entire country. Coyotes weren’t historically found in New England, but a lack of larger predators left db opening they were glad to fill. The more coyotes you kill, the more they breed and we have the largest coyotes in the country in New England. Fascinating animals and extremely intelligent

Sidenote: killing them all near farms ruins farms because there isnt enough of them to eat mice, moles, and gophers. Soil gets tilled too much and roots are eaten. Boom dead crops.

Coyotes trick dogs into chasing them into the bush, where the rest of the Coyote pack waits to ambush.

Secondly, look at what a little fox can do to a big dog using speed and agility. Coyotes are bigger than foxes with more speed, so I believe they can kill most dogs 1 v 1.

Coyotes trick dogs into chasing them into the bush, where the rest of the Coyote pack waits to ambush.

Secondly, look at what a little fox can do to a big dog using speed and agility. Coyotes are bigger than foxes with more speed, so I believe they can kill most dogs 1 v 1.

That was an old dog who wasn't feeling overly threatened (kept turning away) just annoyed. Also not a breed as vicious as some others.

I posted a similar thread on a massive (17k people) Akita page asking about coyotes and the stories you read there... only 1 story went bad for the Akita when it was lured into a pack of 8 who ambushed him when he was tired, but the human chased off the coyotes with rocks and the dog was uninjured. But all other posts are about their Akitas taking out coyotes, even when outnumbered, like a wrecking ball.

20201030_233217.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back