Dog VS Coyote

Zeke's Chaingun

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone have any real stories about their dogs vs coyotes?

Where I live there has been an increasing amount of coyote activity. They're getting bold too, not fleeing at the sight of a human or a medium sized dog. This is in a fairly populated area, yet we back up to a large common ground field with trees and a creek at the back side of it.

My neighbor was walking her 50 lbs German Shorthaired Pointer in the common ground at dusk and rounded a peninsula of trees and there was one, nearly the size of her dog, standing there staring at them. She called her dog and quickly left.

Sometimes at night if a siren drives by on a nearby road, you can hear them all respond with yipping and howling.

The common ground frequently has deer visit, and last night my neighbors heard an awful screaming which we assume was coyotes attacking a deer. Also, a neighbors pet duck is missing. Other neighbors have small dogs, so obviously we don't want coyotes around.

Coyotes very rarely attack human adults and also very rarely attack a large dog. I've two American Akitas. The chances of them being attacked are quite small, especially since they are never outside alone. It would have to be a very bold (or stupid) pack to attack two large Akitas. Could happen though. Akitas are not herding dogs, they were bred to hunt and corner large game like elk, boar and bear. Moreover the American Akita was crossbred with Tosa and Mastiff for dog fighting prowess. There are some breeds that coyotes should not mess with, and Akitas are certainly one of them.

I looked online to see if any Akita owner had experience with their Akitas and coyotes and didn't find much. I did find this story though. I'll edit it a little to make it more clear as it wasn't super coherent:

"My Akita had a black mask and could be cuddled, but he never reciprocated. He always that poker face. Was always sedated and laid back.

BUT... where my dogs were we had coyotes and my little scruffy dog would fiercely defend her terrortory and the Akita would never hesitate to go out and be her back up. In Akita mode, my Akita was always silent and stalking. More than a few coyotes met their fate by zeroing in on the little yap yap of my scruffy dog and not noticing my large canine cougar creeping up on it. That was when I discovered the Akita was anything but a large lumbering dog. He was easily as fast and agile as a coyote. I saw him take his first coyote and from stalking to a blur, bowled the coyote over with his chest, bit, shook it and dead. A machine.

That is something that is still heartbreaking to me. My little dog got so used to having the Akita as a back up on yard patrol, it was her ultimate demise. We had to put my Akita down. Acute intradermal mange, one year before they came out with a treatment for it. None of us gave thought to my little dog. Out she went one night without her back up and was killed by the coyotes."

Anyway, I know Joe Rogan told a story about how a pitbull took out 9 coyotes. Anyone else have similar stories? Or did you lose your dog to coyotes?

Here are my two Akitas.

20201030_164352.jpg

I'm sympathetic to how bad losing a pet to wildlife must feel.
But at the same time, when animals "suddenly get bold", it's not like they've been watching pro-animal propaganda films. It's almost always because selfish asshole humans have continued to take the land the animals need and have always had and build homes or strip malls on it, leaving the animals displaced, hungry, and desperate.

I'm sympathetic to how bad losing a pet to wildlife must feel.
But at the same time, when animals "suddenly get bold", it's not like they've been watching pro-animal propaganda films. It's almost always because selfish asshole humans have continued to take the land the animals need and have always had and build homes or strip malls on it, leaving the animals displaced, hungry, and desperate.

This area has been developed for several decades. It does border a wildlife reservation though, which is likely where they are coming from.

If they're getting more bold it's because humans are leaving trash or food out that is easily accessible to them.

Depends on the dog and the coyote. It's a very avoidable situation though. No sense is causing harm to either. Especially since coyotes can carry disease

Coyotes used to approach my mastiff and he would love chasing them. They are fast AF so he never got one. Once he got old and couldn't run anymore I got a slingshot and laid down heavy artillery fire so my boy could enjoy his walks in peace.

Coyotes used to approach my mastiff and he would love chasing them. They are fast AF so he never got one. Once he got old and couldn't run anymore I got a slingshot and laid down heavy artillery fire so my boy could enjoy his walks in peace.

I saw a video where a dog killed the shit out of a coyote. But in the video the coyote seemed to be sick or something b/c it wasn't fast and was really thin. Most videos I see the coyote can easily evade the dog by being faster and quicker like you said.

Back