Does khabib even lift ?

It's 195 and bench press is useless in fighting

Maybe the strongest grappler ever. He almost had no pecs, probably never benched

maxresdefault.jpg
wrestling-1996-summer-olympics-rus-aleksander-karelin-victorious-picture-id81455826

If this is having "almost no pecs" then i'd really like to have almost no pecs lol.
Agree with everything else you've said though.

Another thing is that a large part of the people who're like "195lbs for reps is pretty weak, i do 250lbs for reps" are probably not even remotely in a good shape cardio-wise.
Lifting is completely overblown compared to the rest nowadays; go running three times a week for a few months and you'll get a time where people are like "damn, you're fast!" whereas you could be lifting for three years straight and people would be like "nothing special, bro.".

What are the best lifts for grappling?

Gabi submitted her three times before then though.

Pulling motions in most grappling are more important than pushing motions. Rows would be more important than bench.

What are the best lifts for grappling?
Not an expert here, but i'd say that things like forward bent rows, deadlifts, lots of core work and exercises to strengthen the shoulders and the rotator-cuff would be very beneficial.

they would make a good couple.

edit:

serious question, can’t he not touch a female per Islam? So could not grapple with her?
I am a Muslim and I touch women all the time. Sometimes I have to pay them $200 but usually I don’t have to. Truth.

Bench is a terrible assessment of strength generally, and particularly when it comes to fighters.

It’s reserved for D-level athletes in the NFL who seemingly like to see how many reps of 100kg they can do for some bizarre reason.

Here are a few shots of Khabib lifting....LoL
Khabib+Nurmagomedov+Slams+Pat+Healy+UFC+165.gif

AngelicAffectionateIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif

ZybPe4Y.gif

Bench is a terrible assessment of strength generally, and particularly when it comes to fighters.

It’s reserved for D-level athletes in the NFL who seemingly like to see how many reps of 100kg they can do for some bizarre reason.
Absolutely unequivocally true statement

Actually flat bench is a worthless exercise unless massaging your ego is necessary, I cut it out of my workouts about 20 years ago in favor of incline and slight decline,.

Anyone who lifts can tell that's a 45 lb bar and on each side there's 2 x 25 lb plates, 2 x 10 lbs. and 1 x 5 lbs.

Add em up and its 195.

Lol at everyone who says Khabib is such a thick, muscular LW. Like Dustin said it's his technique, not raw strength.
Some RUSADA good stuff too, no doubt. #icarusbless

I doubt he needs fake plates for 200lb

Every man his size should be able to press that for at least 10reps imo
Lol what? Why?

khabib just struggled with two. Sure it could’ve been after a workout but bench press means literally nothing when it comes to anything other than bench pressing

the biggest, strongest pressers in your gym would be ragdolled by khabib so why do you have some stupid, minimum standard? It’s a useless movement

It's 195 and bench press is useless in fighting

Maybe the strongest grappler ever. He almost had no pecs, probably never benched

maxresdefault.jpg
You telling me this guy never lifted?

Those plates look to be way too big for just 25's. Regardless he could be lifting a lot more getting his form better. Bench press is a pretty good indicator of not only upper body strength but somewhat for overall strength as well. Needs to drive with his legs, get his elbows in and shoulder blades retracted on the bench. My left shoulder hurts just watching him.

He's living proof of grappling strength, which is much more functional and applicable than weight lifting. Weights are good, but it's grappling that really amps up your strength.

Looks like he throws up 235lbs for a couple reps. I'm at the gym right now, and those look like 35lb plates to me, but maybe 25lb plates? The plates at my gym solid and look a bit different.

Either way, it shows you that bench press is pretty meaningless in MMA. I'm MUCH stronger than Khabib in a weight room, and he could literally hold me down and slap the shit out of me with minimal effort. Anderson Silva only puts up 225lbs for a few reps in a video too. Prime BJ penn struggles with 205lbs on the bench in a video.

There are MMA fighters that are beasts in the weight room like DC, who throws up 225lbs 19 times in a video or Brock who put up 225lbs for 30 reps at a combine for the NFL. It's impressive, but not rally necessary for fighting. I'm WAY stronger now than I was in my wrestling days, but I guarantee that me from college would overpower me from now with little effort on a mat. Different muscles.
DC said he benches 240 during a periscope interview, which I think that might be his one rep max. He's also stated he can't do pull ups which is actually shocking to me since that's a much more useful exercise than benching.

He can't be lifting weights, he can barely make his 'natural division' as it is.

He gets a lot of cardio in though, running from the Conor rematch.

Pulling motions in most grappling are more important than pushing motions. Rows would be more important than bench.

This^

I was going to post again earlier saying this...think about it this way, how much more force can you generate: deadlifting a barbell or trap-bar from the ground? or bench pressing weight off a bench, let alone the ground (floor-press which is more akin to grappling on your back).

It's obviously the deadlift. Okay so how much more force can you generate...deadlifting off the floor? v.s. off blocks / off a rack? Obviously off a higher starting position.

Guys can pull 500-600 pounds easily, up to 800-1000lbs with a barbell or trap-bar off blocks depending how high up it is. Those same guys probably can't bench press more than 300-400 lbs are very most raw off a bench.

The posterior chain >>>>>>> than just your chest/anterior delts/triceps + some leg drive. Standing up obviously you can probably generate more pushing but it's still not as much as pulling from higher points while standing, and the pushing isn't very important in wrestling/grappling.

With that said, obviously there's crushing motions and squeeze that works the pecs, upper pecs, etc. And the main point imo is that bench pressing is a skill and technique in itself. You can find a strong guy (like Khabib) and have him bench press with no experience and it will feel odd to him, and he will not do impressive weight at all...this video is basically the evidence of that.

Anyone who lifts can tell that's a 45 lb bar and on each side there's 2 x 25 lb plates, 2 x 10 lbs. and 1 x 5 lbs.

Add em up and its 195.

Lol at everyone who says Khabib is such a thick, muscular LW. Like Dustin said it's his technique, not raw strength.
That, and I bet he can pull a lot more than he can push. I've known some guys that are gorilla strong when you grapple with them, but as far as regular lifts go they are just average.

Back