Does 700k buys only confirm that the majority of people really dont care about anti doping?

All Ad Hominem comments shall be ignored. I know its luke thomas, but the argument either stands by itself or it doesnt, so save it luke haters.

Where are all the people who said they would boycott the event? Id like to see their faces reading this, because their abcence certainly didnt make a dent.

Why even have USADA around at this point?
It only destroys events by increasing the number of injuries and suspending fighters we wanted to see performing.

People dont seem to care. Its only a loud minority.
This was the biggest scandal involving anti-doping ever in the ufc. It had jeff doing a 2 hour damage control report on the biggest podcast in the world. No difference in buys. Actually it probably increased.

Whats your takeway?

I suspect that USADA is, like many virtue-signaling initiatives, made for PR, to silence certain loud voices, and to create an air of legitimacy.

The average casual wants performance. The just-bleed fans want violence. And the hardcores both enjoy debating who juiced, and have nostalgia about the Wild West years of Pride and the UFC.

Like downes syndrome kids? What are you saying..?
When did this turn into a thread about insults And talking down on others? You have no arguments? Then it is better to apologize And move on.

I am Sorry to break your illusion, but mma is nowhere near tennis. (I can’t believe I need to explain this) Anyone can show up to a tennis match against a professional or amateur And play 5 sets without doping. Still, you will be just fine. That is not the case for mma.

I've never cared about that shit. I just want to see good fighters deliver quality violence for my entertainment, there's nothing else to it.

Nobody cares about steroids because everybody in every professional sport is on PEDs. People probably prefer it if athletes are on them because it's a better product.

also in b4 hUEeheHe SJw cUck thOmAs
This

Most high level athletes across every sport In existence are using PED's. Much as I am / was an advocate for a clean sport and condemned cheating In any form, It's just the reality of sports.

Does that mean we should boycott all sports, athletes and stop liking them entirely?

Nobody cares about steroids because everybody in every professional sport is on PEDs. People probably prefer it if athletes are on them because it's a better product.
Your second sentence is absolutely true despite what everybody says about PEDs. They're called performance enhancing drugs for a reason... Because they enhance your performance.

Sports equals entertainment. That's it. It's a TV show like any other. Any way it's possible to enhance the product, like fighters having bigger gas tanks, is only a benefit to the final product.

Sports leagues like the NFL understand this aspect and have special drug programs that nobody hears about when somebody gets busted the first few times. The guys that get suspended are the ones that have been caught multiple times already. There's a certain amount of times you're allowed to be put in this program before you're breaking the rules of that program... This program is how guys like Josh Gordon were even able to be allowed in the league as long as he was. That guy was on anything and everything forever, despite only being suspended twice.

Last edited:
Personally, I just want to be entertained and a fair/level playing field.

Realistically, that would probably best be accomplished by allowing PEDs outright, ala Pride.

Anyone with common sense knows professional and amateur sports alike are ran rampant with PED usage. People want the best athletic performances, promoters/team owners/producers et al want the best possibly conditioned, performing, and marketable athletes so they can get wins and make money, and I can go on for hours.

These grown ass men crying like kids over PEDs really need to get a clue and just get over it. Its pathetic. There's professional chess players that pop for elevated Test levels lol. Sports and PEDs go hand in hand. Nobody wants to see frail and weak athletes that need forever to recover. Also as an athlete nothing is worse than seeing compeition that wasn't on your level but a few months later theyre on your ass because they said fuck it and got on cycle. This is millions of dollars potentially in a very short life span. I cant imagine what grown idiot believes his favorite athlete is clean because he passed testing. Thinking any athlete on any level is clean is just ass backwards.

The general public gives no fucks as it should. Just asshurt fans love to go on tirades because its how they cope with their favorite fighter being inferior to someone they don't like. Cant wait for some seething DC fanboy to tell me an Olympic wrestler has been clean his whole life.
Asshurt DC fan here. That was never the issue, keep the sport dirty if you want, just don't use other fighters as scape goats to legitimize your bullshit PED program. @Verace will tell you, I've personally said DC has probably been on some shit. The issue is special treatment of certain fighters. Jon wasn't even a proven draw, this was a huge gamble for the UFC and admittedly (against my own biases) it worked out for them this time. Doesn't change the fact that this is in your face corruption, bullshit, and completely unfair to the other fighters. You're telling me the extra curricular's of a few are more important than the entire roster? GTFO. Can't make a years worth of PPV and content revolve around Conor, Jon, Ronda and Brock.

If it sold 700k than that's a 20% from his last PPV, how is that a victory??

Alternatively, the scandal attracted people's attention and added interest to the fight. Nobody was expecting a mass boycott, right? It doesn't confirm anything about whether or not people care about doping.
Yea, plus the experts all agreed that he was innocent. So why would anyone care? Dana White told everyone on ESPN Jones didn't do anything wrong. So obviously Jones was innocent and everyone was okay with it.

Asshurt DC fan here. That was never the issue, keep the sport dirty if you want, just don't use other fighters as scape goats to legitimize your bullshit PED program. @Verace will tell you, I've personally said DC has probably been on some shit. The issue is special treatment of certain fighters. Jon wasn't even a proven draw, this was a huge gamble for the UFC and admittedly (against my own biases) it worked out for. Them this time. Doesn't change the fact that this is in your face corruption, bullshit, and completely unfair to the other fighters. You're telling me the extra curricular's of a few are more important than the entire roster? GTFO. Can't make a years worth of PPV and content revolve around Conor, Jon, Ronda and Brock.

Good post. I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but yes, the extracurricular activity of a few are more important. This goes across every sport. Name the sport and you can look at cases of this until your head spins. Sadly its how it is. Jones was never a huge draw unless with was against DC really, BUT he is a bigger draw than 90% of the roster. The UFC made a smaller risk than you realize. EVERYONE, even casuals alike knew Jon fucks up a lot. People were captivated by this. Remember DC calling him a crackhead and getting booed for it while Jon laughed and said yeah he was? Casual fans boo the fuck out of DC, even when its not against Jones. Jones is a fuck up like most people watching him are. This was insanely great media for the UFC and him and it paid off in millions. DC just had the battle of the GOATS at HW and he couldn't barely draw a dime. The risk was well worth the reward with Jones.

Sports, business, whatever category where money is involved, you're damn right the people will bring it in will have precedence over the majority who don't. Non superstars don't pay the bills in any sport or way of life. What you can earn your employers will always take precedence over someone who isn't earning them much.

If it sold 700k than that's a 20% from his last PPV, how is that a victory??
UFC 128 490k
UFC 140 480K
UFC 145 700K (Evans grudge match)
UFC 152 450k
UFC 159 530k (Chael)
UFC 165 310k(Gus 1 his worse PPV ever)
UFC 172 350k
UFC 182 800k (DC part1)
UFC 197 322k
UFC 214 860k (DC part 2)

Jon has only drew big numbers vs DC and Rashad. 700k for a rematch of a event that did 310k, which was Jon's worse event ever, is astronomical. Especially in a year where most people are drawing sub 300k. 700k with Gus as a second act is massive because Gus cant draw flies to sugar.

I'm against juicing and I disagree about every fighter is juicing.I do believe a lot are but not all.I would much rather see what they can really do without the help of a ped.If it's a org that is open for fighters to do whatever they want then fine.If a clean fighter joins that org and losses he knew what he was getting into in and can't bitch about it.

Look at Brock's PPV numbers and venture to guess whether people give a fuck about doping.

This is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read

bet you said the same thing the first time someone told you Santa wasn't real. Not our fault you chose to keep believing.

They don't because even if you'd say it was because of Jones then you'd have to ask if numbers would be affected for other fighters of similar star power. They wouldn't.

Every single child in America watched as Hulk Hogan admitted that the 24-inch pythons were not at all natty. They didn't take their vitamins for years.
Those kids and/or their parents were losers, then. Everybody knows ALL pythons are on something! And I don't mean milk and cereal. Nor creatine.

All Ad Hominem comments shall be ignored. I know its luke thomas, but the argument either stands by itself or it doesnt, so save it luke haters.

Where are all the people who said they would boycott the event? Id like to see their faces reading this, because their abcence certainly didnt make a dent.

Why even have USADA around at this point?
It only destroys events by increasing the number of injuries and suspending fighters we wanted to see performing.

People dont seem to care. Its only a loud minority.
This was the biggest scandal involving anti-doping ever in the ufc. It had jeff doing a 2 hour damage control report on the biggest podcast in the world. No difference in buys. Actually it probably increased.

Whats your takeway?

As we can't actually measure that, we have the makings of a nonsensical discussion. That's my takeaway.

Pretty disappointed by some of the responses in here...

People secretly want doping but publicly are vehemently against it. The reason why I came up with this screen name was the very reason of this. Closet Vitor fan. When he was TRT'd to the gills he was wheel kicking and upper cutting people into space orbit. But people don't want to publicly admit that what he did was awesome because he was "cheating" these holier than thou types need to get off their high horse.

People just don't want to see it. That's all. Out of sight out of mind. In Pride they didn't even test for steroids. But it was ok because it wasn't even acknowledged. In Prides hey day I never once heard anyone say "Oh they're juiced to the gills that's why they perform and look that way." Not once until it was acknowledged by like 2010. Now it's a big deal.

I think when TRT was publicly outed as legal that's when people got on the anti PED train. Then TRT was made illegal and then enter USADA. The fans wouldn't have asked for any of this if we weren't told of any of this.

Because people don't have any convictions or values anymore. That's why the macgregor's and jones of the world are loved.

Back