Does 700k buys only confirm that the majority of people really dont care about anti doping?

Your second sentence is absolutely true despite what everybody says about PEDs. They're called performance enhancing drugs for a reason... Because they enhance your performance.

Sports equals entertainment. That's it. It's a TV show like any other. Any way it's possible to enhance the product, like fighters having bigger gas tanks, is only a benefit to the final product.

Sports leagues like the NFL understand this aspect and have special drug programs that nobody hears about when somebody gets busted the first few times. The guys that get suspended are the ones that have been caught multiple times already. There's a certain amount of times you're allowed to be put in this program before you're breaking the rules of that program... This program is how guys like Josh Gordon were even able to be allowed in the league as long as he was. That guy was on anything and everything forever, despite only being suspended twice.

Can sum up my thoughts on the matter with the quote from the book "I am America (and so can You!)"

"Athletes perform for our enjoyment. So “performance-enhancing drugs” are really enjoyment-enhancing drugs. The fact is, Americans want the best of everything. That's why Americans won't watch women's basketball. Every time I see a lady make a shot I think, "I bet a guy could've made that better." "Enhanced" athletes are the same way."

Sherdog does not buy the PPV. They steal it, then come here to bitch about the quality of the card..

All Ad Hominem comments shall be ignored. I know its luke thomas, but the argument either stands on its own or it doesnt, so save it luke haters.

Where are all the people who said they would boycott the event? Id like to see their faces reading this, because their abcence certainly didnt make a dent.

Why even have USADA around at this point?
It only destroys events by increasing the number of injuries and suspending fighters we wanted to see performing.

People dont seem to care. Its only a loud minority.
This was the biggest scandal involving anti-doping ever in the ufc. It had jeff doing a 2 hour damage control report on the biggest podcast in the world. No difference in buys. Actually it probably increased.

Whats your takeway?

You are wrong, and Luke Thomas is wrong. There were a significant amount of people who decided to not buy the card because of the controversy. First Jones vs Gus fight had over 7M views on Youtube, more than any other UFC free fight before. It was trending a lot higher than 700k PPV.

People dont seem to understand how many people were interested to see Jones vs Gus 2. This card would have sold over 1M if promoted right.

It confirms despite UFC burying it, Cyborg vs Nunes Sold. That was the fight to see. Not f'ing Jones vs Gus 2. Gus never had a chance while I was saying Nunes going to beat Cyborg with great excitement all week. Without those women Snitch/ Bitch Jones sells 350k Max. Jones PPV history shows he's not a draw unless people think he may actually lose. He's an usada snitch. He snitched on dudes smoking weed under the bleachers during free period in hs. Fuck. That. Clown.

Jones vs Gus free fight on Youtube had over 7M views, while Cyborgs and Nunes' fights only a small fraction of it. People were WAAYYYY more interested in Jones vs Gus 2, than Nunes vs Cyborg, doesn't matter whether you like it or not.

Some posters here seem to have strong opinions about what other people do and do not believe regarding PEDs in sports.

I dunno where that data is coming from.

The real answer is probably "it's complicated"

It is like the environment. Ask people if protecting the envorinment is exremely important most people say yes. Translating that into support for specific actions is a completely different story.

It is clear that corporate interests (e.g. the companies that make money from sports) believe that people care about PED use. Or at least that the people who do care carry more economic impact than those who do not care. No way that any sports organization adopted PED testing out of enlightened philosophy. Baseball and cycling were forced to address the issue by scandals that rocked the sport. The UFC was likely trying to get out in front of the same issue before they sold the company.

It is just a theory but I suspect that the corporate calculation is pretty simple. Anti-PED people care about anti-PED programs in sports and it impacts what they watch and therefore how much money gets made. Pro-PED people are not impacted one way or the other. Therefore it makes sense to cater to the anti-PED crowd.

I think that the original point of this thread was that a high PPV buy rate meant that people do not actually care about PED use in MMA. Seems like a simplistic theory. Maybe the card would have done much better without the testing issue. Maybe it is a sign that USADA is working because a lot of fans were confident that a "fair process" had been followed. It is difficult to draw conclusions.

There are interesting paralells to Floyd Mayweather. Floyd is a serial abuser of women and a racist. Neither of those facts are controversial. Obviously lots of people were happy to ignore that and pay to watch him fight. On the other hand, sponsors won't touch the guy. Think about that. Floyd can put together one off events that gross hundreds of millions of dollars but he will never get Nike or Adidas or whomever to give him a $.

Is the conclusion that people don't care about guys beating women? I don't think so. But, again, how that opinon gets translated into actions is murky and opaque.

People just care about controversy, good or bad. Crazy world

Means the UfC knows that they can come up with any bullshit and will still sell.

I wish the UFC was clean and had better role models. 100% natural athletes like Lebron James and Tom Brady set a great example for the youth.

Some people don’t care and want to see him fight. Others do care and want to see him get beat.

One game didn't kill Activision, Blizzard, EA, ect. and they didn't die over night.

UFC 128 490k
UFC 140 480K
UFC 145 700K (Evans grudge match)
UFC 152 450k
UFC 159 530k (Chael)
UFC 165 310k(Gus 1 his worse PPV ever)
UFC 172 350k
UFC 182 800k (DC part1)
UFC 197 322k
UFC 214 860k (DC part 2)

Jon has only drew big numbers vs DC and Rashad. 700k for a rematch of a event that did 310k, which was Jon's worse event ever, is astronomical. Especially in a year where most people are drawing sub 300k. 700k with Gus as a second act is massive because Gus cant draw flies to sugar.

Yea but Jones got a lot of exposure from the UFC 200 fiasco, and pulled in 860k PPV's on his return.

Then on this one he got 700k on his return with a co-main event that sells 300-400k on it's own on a stacked year end card.

Good for them, but I'm just not sold that Jon's popularity has gone up in the last 18 months based off a 700k PPV buy year end card.

Back